1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dec 2017 - Submission #5

Discussion in 'The Lone 2017 Competition' started by Xiph0, Dec 28, 2017.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Even after seven years in the Wizarding World, it was eerie that a portrait could contain so much of the life of its inhabitant. Before he had seen the finished project, Harry had the thought that there should be no painting of Albus Dumbledore—that no portrait could do justice to the greatest wizard to ever live on mere oil and canvas and reduced to a wooden frame. He thought that no portrait, no matter how well made, could recreate the gaze of those pale blue eyes. He was wrong. He sat there in silence, a glass of firewhiskey poured to near tipping.
    “It had to happen.”

“Why, of course it did.”

“There was no other choice.”

“There was no easy path to take, Harry.” His eyes made Harry feel guilty, for all that the words were reassuring. He had the nagging feeling that Dumbledore, had he been there, could have done something. Anything. “And sometimes, the right choice is entirely obscured.”

“This is war, for Merlin’s sake.” Harry took a swig of firewhiskey, let the steam curl out of his mouth. He could see a pained look in Dumbledore’s eye. “They knew what was going to happen.”

“If it helps,” said Dumbledore softly, “It doesn’t get easier. It never did for me.”

“How the devil would that make anything better.”

“It keeps you from too easily making the same decisions. It keeps you from thinking of them as pieces on a chessboard. This, Harry, is the burden of command, the shroud that hangs ever heavier from you neck.”

“How could you deal with it?” Asked Harry desperately, pleading for some semblance of a solution. He drank more from his goblet, burping a small flame before continuing. “Deal with the knowledge that but for you, men would be alive.”

“Deal with it?” Dumbledore laughed. “Now that’s quite impossible. In the end, you can’t deal with it. You’ll have to live with it.”

Harry, sighed, quaffing another bit of hard water.

“That doesn’t help.”

“You did what you could, Harry.” Dumbledore sighed as he watched Harry belt back more of the whiskey. “No one could rightfully blame you.”

“I know that…” Said Harry, with a smaller sip. He thought he could hear something else there. Something that sounded like a plea for Harry to stop with something. Harry took another drink. “But…”

“But…?”

“It sometimes feels like I can’t stop going back and thinking that if I had done something differently- “

“Conditionals are the most dangerous piece of grammar.”

“Excuse me?” Said Harry.

“Ifs are dangerous, Harry.” Dumbledore stared into his eyes. “They make you wallow.”

“Wallow?”

“Yes. Wallow.” Said Dumbledore. “I’m done listening to you wallow. You lost a couple of honestly mediocre wizards and killed the worst wizard to come out of Hogwarts since Bart the Banal. You know what I’d have called that back in 1930; when I was your age and chasing Warlocks from Timbuktu to Tipperary?”

“A tragedy?”

“No!” Said Dumbledore, with reddened cheeks. “I’d have called that a damn good day. Then I’d have shot an Elephant.”

“Why would you have shot an Elephant?”

“Things were different in those days, Harry.” Said Dumbledore. “Why, when I was a lad, you were hardly anyone unless you had shot an Elephant. Now, it followed that the person who’d killed the most Elephants was the most someone- although I do believe I was the only person to figure out that. Either way, I made it a point to shoot an elephant just about every day.”

“You were shooting an elephant a day?”

“That’s right, that was the secret to my magic- elephants.” Dumbledore smiled. “No one figured that out.”

“With a gun?”

“No- no, of course not with a gun!” Said Dumbledore. “Barbaric idea. I only ever used the Killing Curse.”

“The Killing Curse?” Said, Harry. “But you can only use that if you truly mean it.”

“I truly wanted to kill those Elephants.”

“But the killing curse?”

“Harry, now you have to remember.” Dumbledore said, “I’ve only told a couple of students this and they’ve never become great wizards- except for me that is. You have to do it right. I told Hagrid first. I’ve always liked him but he went about his elephant hunting all wrong. That’s why he can barely use magic.”

“Hagrid killed elephants?”

“Why do you think he was breeding Acromantulas?” Asked Dumbledore. “There’s hardly any other reason to try and have the nasty little blighters.”

“Because he likes hideous beasts,” Said Harry.

“Breeding Acromantula’s because he likes them? Of course not, that would be ridiculous.” Said Dumbledore. “He was breeding them to kill Elephants. What he didn’t realize is that the Acromantulas were getting all the power of the kill. How do you think they got so big? To get the magic yourself, you really have to get up in there and kill the elephant.”

Harry just sat there, dumbfounded.

“I need another drink,” he finally responded.

“Pish posh! There you go again with the wallowing and with the drinking.”

“Beg your pardon, do you want some?”

“Want some?” Said Dumbledore. “I’ll have you know that I don’t drink.”

“You don’t drink?” Laughed Harry. “Why is that? Does it interfere with your elephant juice? Does it sap the energy from your spells?”

“Why of course not. That would be ridiculous. I’ll have you know that nothing can take the energy away from an elephant-powered spell” Laughed Dumbledore. “Back then, when I was killing elephants, I could drink an Arab under the table.”

“Aren’t Arabs teetotalers of a sort, drink banned by religion and all that?”

“That’s why I aimed clear of the Irish.” Continued Dumbledore, a contented smile sitting on his lips. “That’s the secret to life, Harry! Never pick a fight you can’t win! Grindelwald was a near-squib without the Elder Wand, there was a reason he failed out of Durmstrang.

“But that was a long time ago Harry. I haven’t had a drinking contest with an Arab in nearly seventy years, poor old Abdullah, and it’s been near sixty since that Turk in Saigon. That’s to say nothing of the last time I had a real challenge--I still can’t remember my time with Carrie Nation in 1903. I still have the scar though; hatchet wounds don’t heal very well after all!”

“Did something happen to make you stop?” Asked Harry. “Trauma of some sort?”

“Trauma? No.” Said Dumbledore. “You probably already know the story of why I stopped drinking.”

“I don’t think I do.”

“Well, you were there for a fair bit of it.”

“Was I?”

“It was on the Astronomy tower.” Started Dumbledore before looking back to Harry. “Come now Harry, you know this one.”

“Are you sure you’re not mistaking me for my father again?”

“Quite certain. At any rate, we were on top of the Astronomy tower, and then Severus killed me. You were there, weren’t you? Yes, yes, you were hiding under that wonderful cloak of yours-- I’m sure of it!”

“That’s just the story of how you died.” Said Harry.

“And why I stopped drinking.” Continued Albus, “It’s very hard to drink as a portrait.”

2. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

I actually kind of like this entry the most. It's entertaining in a way the others aren't, but it's so insane and all over the place. Dumbledore's character is interesting, and entirely different. The punchline was a funny way to go about things. That said, Harry didn't feel like a real character here. He was too passive, like a journalist asking questions instead of a character in a conversational byplay.

Obvious thing to point out about the grammar is the tag vs beat mix-up that's very common. I would have liked a bit more said tags in there who is talking when (maybe 3 or 4 more), but otherwise the piece manages to pull it off given it's only between two people and the conversation is fast paced. The pacing is done well, it doesn't overstay it's welcome and knows when to cut the joke off, while at the same time not extending it too far as to become tiresome.

Some of the jokes fell flat, and made me go "WTF?", but ultimately the piece was entertaining, although there wasn't a plot to speak off.

Original Concept
    - 5/5
    Characters - 3/5
    Plot - 2/5
    Pacing - 5/5
    Setting & Atmosphere - 3/5
    Grammar & Mechanics - 3/5

Final Score - 21/30

3. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This entire entry was a setup for the punchline. It's a good punchline, too, and like a good punch I honestly didn't see it coming until it was too late.

Unlike Halt, I feel that, despite how short it was, it lasted too long, though. It's clear in how Harry keeps repeating what Dumbledore said (to the point I was planning on making a Metal Gear joke), the bizarre elephant thing (not cool bro #ElephantLivesMatter), how even that digressed into that weird Arab segment...

You clearly had a decent idea, but could've worked it out better.

Original Concept - 3/5
    Characters - 3/5
    Plot - 3/5
    Pacing - 2/5

Final Score - 17/30

4. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

As has been said, this entire piece was a punchline. From the moment I started reading, I expected it. The jokes didn't really fall flat, but I felt like there could have been more in the execution. No so much in word count, but I felt like I knew the direction the minute Dumbledore was telling Harry that it never got easier for him.

The response at the end, was certainly a response that was very Dumbledore-esque in its delivery. I also had an internal laugh track going off in my head the entire time. This was like a bit segment on an episode of Seinfeld, if Seinfeld was about talking portraits and magical schools.

I liked it.

Original Concept - 3/5
    Characters - 4/5
    Plot - 3/5
    Pacing - 2/5

Final Score - 18/30

5. Eimim

Eimim First Year

Perfect punchline. That was the best ending out of all the entries to this competition. Unfortunately, the rest of this felt unnecessarily over the top and slightly too long. It was amusing, in many aspects, but with such a perfect answer to this prompt, I wish this story could have been something brilliant.

The tone of this story fit the humor of it, but the characterisation suffers. You could swap Harry for almost any other character and keep the storyline unchanged.

Original Concept - 4/5
    Characters - 2/5
    Plot - 3/5
    Pacing - 3/5
    Setting & Atmosphere - 4/5

Final Score 19/30

6. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Original Concept: 4
    Characters: 3
    Plot: 2
    Pacing: 3
    Setting & Atmosphere: 3
    Grammar & Mechanics: 2
    (17/30)

I liked the punchline. I didn't like the syntax of the story itself. Pretty much everything Harry said was a question, which was a bit offputting. Plus, you need some work on dialogue. It's nothing that couldn't be fixed with some editing. As for the characters, Dumbledore was way out there, but I guess that's the point. Pacing is a bit hit or miss, a bit off the rails, but it worked fine here since I feel like that's the point. Perhaps Dumbledore's chain of tangents was a bit long, even though it was all a setup. It felt a bit plain at times maybe? There story didn't feel that magical despite plenty of magical references. Or maybe I'm just not sure why everyone always chooses firewhiskey.

7. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

Original concept: 4
    Plot: 3
    Pacing: 4
    Setting & Atmosphere: 3
    Grammar & Mechanics: 3

I loled. There was just the right amount of ‘wallow’s in there.

It’s a solid chuckle and it doesn’t aim higher than that. I don’t think it was too long. There could have been more with some actual input from Harry beyond the start, but I did like that small foundation.

Not too many glaring errors except for apparently some punctuation things with the dialogue. I suck at spotting that stuff but I marked it down anyway because Halt.

Final score: 20/30

8. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Although I recognise that other entries were better in a few respects...I loved this. I genuinely lol'd at work, so thankfully no customers were around at the time. Dumbledore isn't Dumbledore at all - a few shades of Discworld's Archchancellor Ridcully, I felt, which is no bad thing - but the humour is good enough to make that forgiveable. Equally, it's a bit of a sharp swerve from fairly serious discussion of coping with wartime trauma and responsibility to elephant murder as power up ritual, but again, I was laughing too much to care. It's not subtle, but it's a bit clever, and definitely the entry that best addresses the prompt, for my money.

Original Concept - 4/5
    Characters - 2/5
    Plot - 3/5
    Pacing - 4/5

19/30

9. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

I'm glad someone took that prompt in an amusing direction. I liked it, though like others I wish that the rest of the conversation was up to the caliber of the punchline.

Original Concept - 4/5
    The concept was original and uniquely amusing out of all the entries and for that I might love it more than I should.

Characters - 2/5
    The elephant part had me laughing. The idea of Dumbledore with views that felt like they actually came from the 1870s is an inspired if off-the-wall bit of characterization and I wish you'd run further with it.

Harry unfortunately was not an actual charecter. It's a shame because there would have been some amusement to be had if you had let him react and participate properly. This is commonly found when people first start to try and write dialogue scenes since keeping track of both sides of the conversation in an interesting way can be challenging.

Plot - 3/5
    There's not much here of course but the scene set amused me. As service to the punchline I think it could have been stronger but it made me giggle so I guess it served its purpose.

Pacing - 3/5
    The pacing was a little off, I think the buildup to the final felt a little weak. Then again the sharp right turn from dealing with loss to elephant murder was a great bit of absurdist humour so it had its moments.

The setting was serviceable for the simple setup for this story. I think that better control of the atmosphere and perhaps a bit of slowing down between dialogue scenes could have improved things. Overall it feels a little like a first draft. The ideas are on the paper with most of the funny parts in place but it's awaiting a rewrite that smooths and layers the narrative.

Grammar & Mechanics - 3
    It's rough in more than a few ways but not in so many that it distracts from the amusement of the story.

Overall it's funny and charming if a little roughly written. The writing style feels quite unpractised but it has some solid underpinnings that could be built on.

18/20

10. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'm going to read/review without reading any of the other reviews first. I personally do this by opening the thread twice, then hitting 'reply' on one of them. Then I make comments as I read.

Good start. I particularly liked the "reduced to a wooden frame" bit to let us know Harry's feelings on the subject.

Initial dialogue was a little confusing. I wasn't sure who was speaking with the "It had to happen" until you used a name, and that was the fourth bit of speech. Then I worked backwards.

Minor grammar mistake or two, nothing big.

But also a little too vague. Had to happen. Of course. No other choice. Right, it's hard. They knew it would happen. Yes, this sucks. Is that supposed to help? Sort of. Yup, seriously sucks. Well, you did what you could. Yes, but still.

I'm over-simplifying, but I think you're trying to make me curious to know what they're talking about. But I'm frustrated instead. Real people don't talk like this in my experience, at least not for this long. Not without referring to a detail.

I laughed at the elephant bit - not the joke itself so much as your timing. The initial joke though is what made me grin... it seemed to go on a bit long by the end. The joke broke the tension, but then it started to strangle the scene.

...and as I keep reading, the elephant bit seems to be less of a joke and more of a legitimate part of the plot? He was actually getting energy from it? He could drink an Arab under the table back when he was regularly slaughtering an endangered species?

Yeah, I don't know.

But! Good twist at the end. Kudos for that - I didn't see it coming, it takes the prompt into account, and it made me laugh. This right here was the best bit, wish I'd thought of it:
    Original Concept - 4
    BONUS point here because I feel that you had the most clever, canon-based idea for the prompt. Albus doesn't drink because he's a portrait now, damnit. Good joke. But otherwise it's just Harry and Dumbledore talking about first something very generic and second something off-the-wall that I didn't quite follow. Still the idea works well enough for a short story.
    Characters - 3
    Neither of them felt quite in character but nor did they feel out of character. They felt like fairly generic versions of themselves, with Albus ramping up the weird past bit for a bit of extra interest.
    Plot - 2
    I don't feel like there was a plot, not really. If you had been more specific at the start with WHAT Harry and Dumbledore were talking about, and given one of them a goal, it could have easily worked. If Dumbledore was clearly trying to get Harry to realize/admit something (and then did or didn't), or if Harry was looking for an answer (and got it or didn't), but this was more just them talking without an underlying plot.
    Pacing - 3
    I didn't get bored reading it but I could easily have dropped it at any point.
    Setting & Atmosphere - 2
    I didn't get much sense of the setting at all, honestly. Atmosphere was covered a bit by the thoughts on the war and the drinking Harry is doing.
    Grammar & Mechanics - 2
    Various issues, most mentioned somewhere above.

Edit for
    TOTAL: 16/30

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  11. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Original Concept: 4/5 - I have to say, killing elephants to make magic powerful is legitimate stupid funny. More stupid than funny.
    Characters: 2/5 - Yeah, no.
    Plot: 2/5 - What plot?
    Pacing: 4/5 - Nothing wrong the pacing here, I felt it flowed fine considering its short length.
    Setting & Atmosphere: 2/5 - Nothing interesting here, really, just a post-Hogwarts office.
    Grammar & Mechanics: 3/5 - A few weird issues here and there, nothing major.

I like the idea of something crack-fic as much as anyone, I've gone way further than elephant death powered magic myself, but this wasn't silly enough to crack the surface of my stony, unfiguring face. Instead I merely found it mildly enjoyable but quite forgettable. A cute punchline mainly.

Score: 17/30

12. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Original Concept 5/5

You're using the entire story to set up a joke, which has been done before. Normally the jokes aren't funny (the Aristocrats!), but that's partly why I love shaggy dog stories. You stuck to the prompt, which is always excellent.

Characters 2/5

Dumbledore feels like a caricature of someone born in his time, which is fine, but not sticking to how he was in canon at all, really. It's not as bad as the moustache-twirling evil mastermind that sometimes pops up, but this is a pretty big change.
    Harry is a rubber wall. He stands there and bounces lines back to Dumbledore. In a joke like this, you need a straightman, but Harry doesn't really seem to add much flavour. Instead, he simply repeats back what Dumbledore said
    It isn't truly important that these are Harry and Dumbledore, but at the same time, if you changed them to other characters you would have to do more than just change the names.

Plot 3/5

Clear beginning, middle and end, and the story follows through. It's a retelling of events, but due to those events spanning years, that's fine.

Pacing 2/5

I feel this is very strongly inspired by Grandpa Simpson style stories (we tied an onion to our belt), but doesn't fully commit to it. If you'd have gone whole hog, stretched the story out more then that'd have been excellent. Whilst that would have slowed down the story, this is a shaggy dog, and you really would have been better served by just adding in anecdotes - the story about drinking with Abdullah, or how the American woman attacked, or whatever.

Setting & Atmosphere
    3/5

Setting was mostly not there, but as the whole piece is a conversation, I've no real worries about that. I

Grammar & Mechanics 3/5

Some issues, but nothing that would completely ruin the story. However, they were prevalent enough for me to notice during the reading, rather than on a re-read.

Total score out of 30 18

As a final note - I think this was probably my favourite entry. I laughed the first time I read it, and then had a slight sensible chuckle at it when I remembered it later.

13. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Original Concept: 4/5

Concept was original enough. Was not a huge fan of every attempted joke or nonsense thing but I did appreciate the direction it went for. I did chuckle once or twice and the ending was a pretty good touch.

Characters: 2/5

Character wise, well, Dumbledore, as Shinysavage said, has elements of Ridcully which is fun but it didn't exactly work with every joke and he was way too different from any Dumbledore I have seen to really buy it even for a second. He was fun at times, but it did feel as if you weren't fully committed to the shtick with him so it felt a bit weak and weird. Harry isn't really a character, nor does he do anything funny.

Plot: 3/5

Nothing to really talk about much, just a silly conversation but I'll have to say, this is most that one can do with the prompt given, unless you only make it tangentially adhere to it.

Pacing: 3/5

Pacing was okay for most of it, the punch line at the end worked out great and the flow was decent overall. The conversation could have been better structured from Harry's end but meh, it works enough.

Setting & Atmosphere: 3/5

The setting is nothing special, just Hogwarts but the atmosphere of the silly mood of the drunken conversation was well handled. Not much to say here. Better dialog would have improved this as well.

Grammar & Mechanics: 4/5

Nothing really disturbed my reading flow and technically you achieved what you wanted to do, even if there was of course much room for improvement. But this was my favorite prompt.

Total 19/30

I guess this gets technically less points than entry 3 but I honestly prefer this to it so I dunno what to do about that.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  14. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

Original Concept: 5
    Plot: 3
    Pacing: 4
    Setting & Atmosphere: 4
    Grammar & Mechanics: 4

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that. When it started I thought it'd be a tale of how Dumbledore stopped using drinking as a crutch for his guilt but then you made the elephant jokes, broke the ice and stringed me along for a fun journey to the punchline. There's very little plot, Dumbledore is a little OOC and Harry is a bystander but it all serves to make the final joke land and I laughed out loud. It felt like just as you were taking me along for a ride to the joke, with his Elephant and Arab stories, Dumbledore was doing the same to Harry, to cheer him up.

23/30

15. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It's funny and on point, a good answer to the prompt. I feel like it could have gone a bit longer, but this way it's well contained.

Original Concept: 5/5
    Characters: 3/5
    Plot: 3/5
    Pacing: 4/5
    Grammar & Mechanics: 3/5

21/30

16. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh damn, I absolutely love this. I think this is my favorite entry in the competition, even if, perhaps, not the most impressive, for lack of another nebulous word.

Original Concept: 5/5

It's a great joke. Dumb, but funny dumb, and that's the point. 10/10, would bang.

Characters: 4/5

Fuckdammit. I feel like this category unfairly screws you, because it's a short comedy fic, there's not really a place or a point in injecting character here, the joke is the skeleton and the meat and that works great. That said, I'll knock off a point because Harry could have played little more into the humor instead of being a passive observer.

Plot: 5/5

Another scoring category that's unfair on this piece, but I'm awarding full points because it has all that a good joke needs: the setup, some buildup, the punchline, and there's some lol-worthy flavor in there with elephants.

Pacing: 5/5

It's not too short, not too long. The punchline is delivered at the right time for the whole thing to end and isn't dragged out for whatever reason. Sharp, to the point.

The Anatomy of a Joke is satisfied, but perhaps there could have been more of a setup. With Harry the only one drinking, he could have been used to great effect by getting drunk and reacting even more incredulously to the elephants and all that. Bit of a missed opportunity, although this is really just nitpicking.

Grammar & Mechanics: 3/5

In a piece as short as this one, I would expect it to be absolutely spotless. It's not, so I knocked off points.

Total score: 25/30

17. Stealthy

Stealthy Groundskeeper

Original Concept - 4/5
    Characters - 4/5
    Plot - 5/5
    Pacing - 5/5

Overall: 24/30

Yeah, this one is so different from everything else or even the traditional story format that using the same breakdown is pointless. Mostly has to be evaluated on a different sort of scale than the other entries. Gotta grade it for what it is and what it's trying to be.

This was funny shit, though. Hands down my favorite entry. One big dumb joke, but one you committed to. Dumbledore is OOC but who cares, that's the point. Great job selling the new Dumbledore, and he was exactly what the story needed him to be. Harry was just being a blank somebody for Dumbledore to talk to, which is a bit of wasted potential.

Joke was well executed. Primed us for the crack and the stupidity of it, then nailed the landing. Odd mix of me wanting more, but I acknowledge that you did a good job not letting the joke go on for too long. Kept everything moving at a good pace. Plot and Pacing are weird categories to apply here so I guess it's basically about properly structuring and executing the joke. And mission accomplished on that.

Setting and Atmosphere can't be graded traditionally. The setting is irrelevant here. Sure, plays a bit into the setup but whatever. Atmosphere is more like tone, really. Mostly the thing to talk about is keeping the fun tone of this one going, and then the very beginning before the joke starts. Beginning of the entry is seemingly serious, then just crescendos into ridiculousness. Definitely a fan of that. Kinda grading on a curve here, but the issue with this aspect isn't that anything was bad, but underutilized. Add levity through means besides Albus.

A couple of grammar mistakes. Prose was a bit basic, even for what this was.

Overall fucking great entry.

18. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Haha, this was great. Genuinely really funny, got a big laugh out of me. The beginning could probably do with a bit of rewriting. Until the wallow line it was a bit rocky, but it redeemed itself from there. Dumbledore reminds me a lot of the floccinaucinihilipilification Dumbledore which is great. I also like that it really stuck to the spirit of the prompt. Not a whole lot more else to say really.

Original Concept - 4/5
    Characters - 4/5
    Plot - 3/5
    Pacing - 3/5
    Grammar & Mechanics - 4/5

Final Score - 21/30

19. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

Original Concept - 3.5/5

Certainly a novel take on the humor angle to the prompt.

Characters - 3/5

The characters behave somewhat true to form, right until Dumbledore's wackiness takes over. I'm still on the fence, but I decided upon several re-reads that i don't dislike the direction you took this in characterization-wise. Certainly atypical, but not jarring.

Plot - 3/5

Right up until the humor hammer hits, the plot reads much like that of any run-of-the-mill story. There's a clear start/middle/end, and the prompt is fulfilled, albeit in the craziest way of all the entries. You really nailed that last line though - up until that point I thought everything was distinctly unfunny, and while it didn't have me roaring with laughter at the end, you did elicit a small burst of amusement, so that qualifies.

Pacing - 4/5

Pacing is fine, especially for a humorous story where delivery and timing is everything.

Setting & Atmosphere - 3.5/5

Fine here as well. Nothing spectacular. As a genre, the best funny stories tend to skirt the whole setting/atmosphere demands of normal stories in favor of delivering the punches and laughs in a quick and direct manner without distractions, so you don't get penalized for not having a more immersive experience here.

Grammar & Mechanics - 3.5/5

Nothing jarring caught my eye. Competent, but not much else.

Total Score - 20.5/30

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  20. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

@AlbusPHolmes - I call bullshit on the "0.5" crap - pick whole numbers next time. There are PLENTY of numbers in this scoring system.

...Edit for... Aw motherfucker - I try so hard not to post and it just keeps effing happening. Fine. FINE. I'll PRETEND that my 6000th post is my entry in WbA. And you'll all pretend too, damnit.

Not open for further replies.