1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Decrpyting old files

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Crimson13, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Crimson13

Crimson13 Professor

I figured I'd place this up in DLP on the odd chance I'll get an answer from someone about it. It's been a pain in my ass for a while now.

I know that in order in to decrypt files you have to do it from the hard drive that did it, unfortunately the hard drive I had that did that crapped the bed and I can't do anything with it. I can still access it if I put in a working hard drive and go to My Computer through that but that's all I can do.

Is it possible for me to access my old hard drive through a new one in order to decrypt the files I'd like to open?

2. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

How was the old hard drive damaged?

3. Crimson13

Crimson13 Professor

I'd say it was old, I think...maybe 3-5 years old? I can barely remember yesterday.

It would have it's problems, then I'd patch it up and it would be okay for a while and the process would repeat. If I try to load it now it'll say something along the lines of unable to load or crashed, I think it says Disk Drive something. I'd have to open my computer up, find the hard drive, and put it in to tell you specifically.

4. Which encryption tool did you use? Bitlocker? Wave? TrueCrypt? RSA?
    What is the likelihood you created a backup of the private keys?
    Have you tried imaging the failed drive to another drive using a method which supports deep scanning or forensic duplication of the drive, such as OSFClone, Ghost or Acronis? If you do attempt to do this, have a drive cooler or some other method of providing significant cooling to the drive while performing this to prevent thermal issues (dry ice would NOT be an option).

5. Crimson13

Crimson13 Professor

I used the one built in Windows XP.
    Doubtful.
    I have not, as I have no idea what that is or how to do it. If I did what would work best and do I have to buy anything? I'm dirt ass broke right now and everything I make goes to paying for my shared cellphone bill and to a car.