1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

DLP gets Fit(ter) 2018

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Jjf88, Jan 13, 2018.

1. momo

momo Slug Club Member

High Score:
    I don't know if this has been brought up in this thread yet but I do something called frontloading your calories. You still eat whatever you would normally eat (unless it's complete junk) but have Dinner earlier like around 5:00-6:00 and try and do at least some activity after (like a 3 mile walk or something). I also tend to eat lighter breakfasts but that's optional. It really works, so if any of y'all are looking to do something along with exercise, that's something I definitely recommend.

2. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Order Member DLP Supporter

I'd probably break into the 220s for the first time in a decade or so.... if I didn't have an entire Seattle party weekend coming up. Maybe next weekend. :D

3. momo

momo Slug Club Member

High Score:
    I relate to this so much. Like stay healthy, eat well, exercise from Monday-Thursday. And then Friday, Saturday, and Sunday you are with different friends, eating later in the night, eating more than you like, and not getting the chance to exercise and you find all your hard work going down the drain.

4. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Headmaster DLP Supporter

The stress from the last few months of uni had me gain an unfortunate amount of weight. I've undone all of my 2017 gains. Now that I have a bit of free time while job searching, I'll get back into the swing of things.

5. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Minister of Magic

Had a pretty nasty adductor tear on my last deadlift attempt at my meet, so... Mixed bag since late June lol. Coming up on about 8 weeks since, still occasional pain but it's getting better. I've been doing a lot of rehab for it and just general physical preparedness movements to keep a solid base built for when I can get back into my main movements.

6. Solfege

Solfege Death Eater DLP Supporter

Definitely fat loss. If anything I'm likely losing muscle — strength is neurological here. The lifting's just to help minimise the muscle loss and, more importantly, take the opportunity to focus on foundational stability. Squatting 315 doesn't particularly strain me, and I'm not pushing to go any higher on my lifts while losing weight, so it really is just therapeutic.

To bring up one specific example, I've struggled with foot stance, center of mass positioning, and hip joint impact — interrelated issues over the past year. I've likely had deep tissues rupture in my hip. So, aside from sufficient bracing and tension in the squat, I've had to figure out how to keep center mass focused over the balls of my feet while compensating/rehabbing bunions.

The powerlifting movements are a pretty limited set I feel, although it's nice that powerlifting friends have told me my strength-to-weight ratio's pretty good and I should go for it, I'm really in it for one dimension of a more rounded vision of physicality. I'm definitely looking to expand out into other movements while emphasising proper neural connectivity. My biggest issue right now is trying to build up volume of activity, consistently over time.

Honestly the weight loss at this point is pure vanity, not fitness, as unless there's a specific athletic objective, which there isn't since I'm not competitive, it frankly doesn't reflect on overall health. With the image the fitness industry promulgates — it's no wonder body dysmorphia abounds, especially within the fitness industry, with absolutely strong guys counting as "fluffy."

If you look at Gambino in his This is America video, that's a guy who's truly a median of excellent, healthy shape that everyman can achieve.

We evolved to be skinny-fat. This is a futile fight with diminishing returns against the bell-curve of gene distribution, where we trade survival ability (muscular humans without fat backups die out quickly during famines... why hello there trade war and nuclear winter) for a little extra sex appeal. And the physicality is just one part of greater overall desirability package.. besides which, if you aren't absolutely massive, a clothed you won't remotely look like you lift.

Which is why I'm in no hurry and not being particularly bothered about taking it easy. The key is, I'm doing it out of my own sense of purpose. And lesser bodyweight will improve my leverages once I get back into bodyweight stuff.

Sounds pretty good. Body weight and circumference measurements don't really speak to body composition, and a mirror is especially inadequate as an incomplete frontal view, but still make decent proxies so long as you understand their limitations.

Fat distribution is genetic, so hard to say what a static waistline means. Especially stubborn fat, those last stores that just refuse to go away on a person. For men it's typically love handles, below the waist; for me it's also some glutes (gee, guess I got a little femininity in me) and cheeks. If I had to point at one real vanity project right now, it'd be compensating for my lack of cheekbones.

Typically waist-to-hip ratios are used to rough out health risk from body fat distribution with an emphasis on visceral fat.

But given your activity levels, which IMO are still insane haha, I'd err on the side of your stabilisation.

I've seen a few studies supporting this, although self-reporting requirements among the clinical subjects make for questionable data collection, and subjects are typically obese. I've also seen case studies where backloading calories haven't deterred weight loss. Martin Berkhan's intermittent fasting protocol describes a daily feeding period from 12:00 to 20:00, although he himself often doesn't break fast till 16:00, and he's had a lot of success with his clients.

There are cultures out there that subscribe to a light dinner, heavier lunch or breakfast schedule, which I think makes for nice variation. I guesstimate portions according to my activity and energy levels that day. Typically the issue with stress eaters who try to skip early meals is overcompensation during their allowed mealtimes (my dad has this issue).

Metabolisms have a good variation (some form of fat-tail distribution I suspect) and what matters at the end of the day is a regimen that you as a person are genuinely invested in, which aligns your sensitivities with physical needs and allows you to exert some form of portion control.

Great suggestion for those who might not have thought of this. What with work/life schedules, it can take some experimentation for a person to figure out what kind of routine they can adhere to.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  7. The Waco Kid

The Waco Kid Groundskeeper

Attempting to lose a few pounds has been frustrating as hell. Been stuck on a plateau at 163/164 for over a year despite 4+ days per week of running, ultimate, biking and other workouts...

And for good measure I ran my first race in almost 3 years this past weekend, and came out of it with a mild strain in my hamstring, joy

8. Solfege

Huh, what's the diet like? Animals don't need to warm up, but then they're in a constant state of physicality. It helps to have a daily stretch and mobility routine (5-15 mins) if you haven't.

And on that note, spreading your movements throughout a day/week is far more beneficial than singular sessions. Going for a walk (or run) right after wake-up, say an easy walk after a night of heavy social activity, can be a good wake-up. Gets you breathing too.

=============

I should note, pure strength is absolutely a worthwhile pursuit to stave off the aging process. It compensates for the inevitable erosion of recovery ability and, in combination with joint-mobility work, makes for so much quality of life.

9. Rehio

Rehio Heir DLP Supporter

I started dragging my mother to the gym every single morning about four years ago. She's incredibly healthy; the only thing that bothers her is a strained muscle from weight-lifting. Healthier than she was when she was 30/40, and generally when people guess her age they give her about 15 years younger than she actually is.

I'm a bit proud of her.

10. TheLazyReader

TheLazyReader Groundskeeper

Whenever I wanna lose some weight I try that 30min-straight running meme. In about four months I come out looking like a skeleton. And it's nice because the plan itself eases you into it.

11. momo

momo Slug Club Member

High Score:
    @Solfege I've also used interminnent fasting but the 8 hours I eat are from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. Combining both frontloading and intermittent fasting. That has by far obtained the best results for me. Problem with intermittent fasting is that it's not the most convenient thing.

12. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

Is this option available for me too? Some advice would be great tbh

13. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Minister of Magic

Sure. DM your info. Fair warning, I'm not a personal trainer, but I do help a few people out in the gym with training advice and so on. Just take everything I say with a grain of salt and use it as a direction in which you should research and see if you agree with me or not

14. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

Damaged a tendon in my dominant foot and it benched me for the week. Back into the swing. :)

15. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

Is Instagram fine? @Solfege

16. Solfege

Sure. DM also.

Edit: Something cool. Digging into our past, osteometric measurements taken from 1,538 human skeletons and weight-stature extrapolated using anthropologic sex-specific formulae.

Even sorting for temporality and geography and considering known errors in live estimation, it's stunning to see such a clear linear function between female BMI and pelvic bone width.

[​IMG]

For men, different parameter estimates but also tight correlation.

[​IMG]

Some people, like Madame Maxime, really are big-boned.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  17. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Yo. I hath returned.

Changed gyms, been to a few seminars (met Mike Israetel, was fucking awesome. Got to train with him), and just been trying to work at the new gym.

Carb loading, fasting of any kind, keto, etc. only works because of the following: A caloric deficit. Don't think there's any fat loss magic because of it. Metabolic damage isn't a thing.

It's called 'metabolic adaptation' and it's the reason you can't just stay in a deficit forever. If you aren't losing weight, beyond some form of thyroid issue, it's because you're not in an energy deficit.

Two ways to get yourself into it. Calories or cardio. Calories is easier because you know how much you're taking off. Cardio, unless you can and put your details and data into the machine, isn't as reliable.

How to know if you're progressing:

Are your lifts progressing in the volume range (sets of 6-15)?
    Are your measurements (I'd recommend chest, navel, 2" above, 2" below) going down?
    Is your scale weight going down month to month? Note that water retention via stress levels can mask fat loss.

Very rough guideline to fat loss:

30% BF or above: 1-1.5kg per week.
    20-30% BF: 0.75-1kg per week.
    15-20% BF: 0.5-0.75kg per week
    12-15: 0.5kg per week.

This is based on recommendations from Eric Helms and Andy Morgan. Anyhoooo.

@Rehio I'd say you need to cut your cardio for the next month. Or at least anything above a fast walk. Track your calories religiously. Daily weigh ins. Week 1: You take your bodyweight measurements and calculate your BF then...

BF%/100 x bw in kg = lean mass

use these formulas: 340 + (21.6 x lean mass in bodyweight)

This is your BMR. Your coma calories. This is the amount you need to survive without moving.

Then take an activity calculator.

1.2 - sedentary
    1.375-1.55 - active job + training 3x-5 per week. The leaner and taller you are, consider going higher.
    1.6-1.8 - very physical job + heavy training 5x per week.

Multiply your BMR by this activity multiplier to find your daily calories. Track for 2 weeks. Take the weekly average. If it is very similar (say 0.2-0.3kg either way) then that's your maintenance.

Important: You must take the measurements at the same time, in the same conditions (naked, been to the bathroom).

Things that will affect it: Higher salt intake, higher carbohydrate intake the previous night, different types of carbs (some sit in the body longer, porridge vs a donut for example), hydration.

If your body measurements aren't going up but the scale is, I'd be very very surprised if that was fat. If your strength in the 6-15 rep range is improving, then you're retaining muscle mass.

18. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

Passed 400lbs/181kg on my deadlift tonight. Feels real good.

19. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

I started going to the gym recently. Still weird sometimes but the women squatting and jogging all around me make it worthwhile. And the gains of course.

Anyway, so far I have stuck to the idea that, going 3 times a week, I'd stay at one level of weight for the whole week, only increasing repetition from 8 to 12 and then to 15. And then, next week, I'd put on more weight and do the same. Thing is, this feels very slow to me. I do it because I don't want to injure myself, but I wonder if I'm approaching this the right way. Should I be this cautious as a beginner?

Also, since I'm new to the gym and everything, I've so far been using mainly machines. I want to make the transition to free weights soon, but I kind of enjoy the comfort so far.

20. Imariel

Imariel Death Eater DLP Supporter

I'd be more focused on doing all your excercises properly rather than immediately increasing weight/repetitions. However, you're supposed to feel the strain after every set. Don't be hesitant to adjust weight between them if necessary.

My best tip would be to book a couple of sessions with a personal trainer to show you the ropes, most of them are happy to help you set up a schedule that'll work for you.

In my opinion, machines are sub-par to free weights in general. But that's just personal taste, they do fill a function and are easily done. Free weights are even more dependant on form, which once again, is good to have a PT guide you in the start unless you're working out with an experienced friend.

You'll know you've peaked when you stop oogling the women in tights due to it distracting from your own workout.