1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

DLP gets Fit(ter) 2018

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Jjf88, Jan 13, 2018.

1. CareOtters

CareOtters Supreme Mugwump DLP Supporter

I'm just picturing that as a Taure and a half sitting on either end of a barbell

Oz
  2. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

I wish. I mean it's not like I'm looking at them while I'm doing a set. It's in the 90 seconds between sets that I'm rather breathless and very distracted.

3. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

The machines are shit, bite the bullet and do the free weights. Make the bar your friend :p

4. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

If you're super new, you need to focus on getting stronger first.

I'd suggest getting a PT to show you how to squat, bench and deadlift (trapbar is fine too)

Then run 3x5 on each of these exercises with a focus on progressing load for lower body by 2.5-5kg per week if you hit all sets and reps. Then for upper body, 1.25-2.5kg each week if you hit all sets and reps.

Run it 3x per week. You'll get stronger, build mass, and imbed the movement patterns that cross over to all different kinds of exercises in the gym. Machines are useful. But unless you're limited by something, a free weight is a superior option for a beginner.
    --- Post automerged ---
    What's the purpose of front-loading them? There's nothing magic about it, you aren't burning more calories, it's still calories in vs out. If you're burning more calories, it's because you're eating less and upping your activity. Personally I get hungry af in the evening so would never do it but it's whatever works for you, in my opinion.

5. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

Okay, I followed the advice and did some free weight stuff today, i.e. benchpress (45kg) and squats (40kg). The other guys were stacking quite a lot more plates than I, but I guess that's normal. It was pretty fun anyway, and it gets rid of the annoyance of having to run the gamut of all these different machines. Haven't tried the deadlift yet, but I'll probably do that next week.

6. Rehio

Rehio Heir DLP Supporter

When you do your deadlifts, get the form down. Weight doesn't matter right now, just focus completely on making sure you're lifting it correctly. Your back is gonna be strong and mighty once you get into deadlifting, but only if you don't wreck it first.

7. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

I like how you phrased that. I'll be careful!

8. Xiph0

I think it's healthy to fuck around and get comfortable with the barbell, tbh. I've had errors in my form for different lifts at different points, none of the injuries really lasted very long when I even got them.

My suggestion is to find a weight that feels comfortable on the bar, but isn't your max, and then do some reps and try to get a feel for what feels right. A "good" deadlift will feel good, if you have it too far out you'll know it, too close and you'll scrape some skin and such. Experiment with tensing certain muscles, where you're keeping your breath, etc. Really get comfortable and the fear will go away forever.

9. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

This.

Unless you're really stupid and try to ego lift on your first deadlift attempt, if you have some mass you should be easily able to lift 50kg or so on your deadlifts to begin with and fuck around with your form till it gets perfect.

Everyones body is different, height, weight, length of arms, and all that stuff, so obviously while form is how you see on the generic Youtube videos, it will take a few months to get that settled in like Xiph says.

10. Xiph0

One cavaet: Don't do your lifts uneven (too far left or right on the bar). Get comfortable getting nice and even. THAT can definitely fuck you up.

11. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Easiest way to confirm your set up for deadlifts is right..ish

Shins should be mostly vertical before you pull.
    Weight in the heels. Chest proud. Not neck. Lift your chest. Lots of people make this mistake and over extend their neck without bracing their upper body.
    Hips as high as they can be whilst: shoulders are directly over the bar, shins are mostly vertical, back is flat.

Here's a text breakdown of how to deadlift...again very general, may not apply.

Assuming you have olympic plates loaded on the bar.

Stand in the middle of the bar. The eyelets of your shoes should be directly under the bar.
    Unlock your knees slightly.
    Your arms should be directly above the bar and act like hooks. If you struggle to keep your back flat, lift your chest up (think 'proud') before the next part.
    Push your hips back whilst reaching down for the bar. This should load your hips, hamstrings and glutes first which makes it easier to get your chest into position.
    Last few checks now..

Shoulders directly over the bar
    Shins mostly vertical
    Back flat.
    Weight in heels.
    Take a deep breathe, brace your abs like Mike Tyson is about to punch you.
    Push the ground away from you, don't pull the bar with your hands.

12. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Gonna do an instagram post on this and figured I would put it in here for some of you to get an idea of an advanced beginner/intermediate programme.

4 day split, upper lower.

2 days training, 2 days off, 2 days training, 1 day off, repeat.

Front Squat 5x5 80% - quad dominant by way of forcing knees forward due to bar position
    Leg Press 5x8 - accessory movement to focus on quads
    BB Lunges 2x8-12 - accessory movement, utilise bigger steps for greater glute activation via hip extension
    Good Morning 3x8-12 - accessory movement for hamstrings + low back.

Bench Press 5x5 80% - chest and triceps strength development
    DB Flat Bench 3x8-12 - accessory movement for pec + tricep (dbs are harder on triceps due to force vectors)
    Chest Supported Row 3x8-12 - horizontal row movement for mid back development via scapular retraction
    Close grip pulldown 3x8-12 - vertical movement for lat and bicep development

Overhead Press 5 5 80% - front (lil lateral delt too) delt development + triceps
    Incline DB Press 3x8-12 - same as above but accessory movement.

(minimum 10 reps for these 4 exercises, which will be grouped as a giant set) - using these for lateral and anterior/side and rear delt development. Using a giant set for time purposes and for metabolite (high reps, low rest period) benefits.

Upright row 4 xfail
    Face pull 4 xfail
    Lateral raise 4 xfail
    DB Reverse flyes 4 xfail

WEEK 1, Day 4
    Deadlift 5x 5 80% - main posterior chain movement. It is a low back exercise first, glute and hamstrings second.
    Pendlay Row 3 x5 80%- main movement being used by rowing to belly (allows me to move more weight and focus on lats too)
    RDL 2 x8 80 - Hamstring movement - I feel this more in my hamstrings than good mornings and it's also an accessory to the DL
    Calf raises w Smith machine 4 xfail - because my calves are shit and the recover really easily. Always go to failure.

If anyone has any questions, comments or feedback, please hit me up. I am currently massing whilst doing this, which I suggest for those working with this high a volume.

I have based this on volume (key driver of massing/hypertrophy) from Brad Schoenfeld's work on effective sets for muscle growth (minimum 10, max 20). That's not to say you cannot grow on less (Jeff Alberts of 3DMJ,) or more (Alberto Nuenz, also of 3DMJ) but for most people 6 months into training, I would say 10 is a good place to start.

13. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

Mhh. Might have some trouble keeping my back straight during the deadlift. I engage my lats as hard as I can (kind of pushing out of my armpits in a way) to help raise my chest, and I try to keep tension in the whole body, but it seems my lower back still rounds a fair bit.

Deadlift.jpg

Any hints for correcting that? And how does the posture look otherwise?

14. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Not sure what height the 45 plates are over there, but when deadlifting you usually need an olympic sized plate. otherwise you'll find it even more difficult to deadlift.

Few fixes.

Lift from a block. Use two plates to stack the barbell so it's higher on the ground. It can help you get into position.
    Work up to a deadlift by practising Romanian Deadlifts with good form and increasing your range of motion.
    Trapbar deadlift. Allows you to use more knee movement whilst still engaging the lower back.
    Work with a broom stick to learn how to hip hinge, which helps the tightness of your back.

15. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

Reached a big goal of mine today. Part of the 1000lbs club in the big three finally after pulling 200kg/440lbs in the deadlift for the first time. Now to lose some weight so I can finally get back to dunking. Being strong would also be kinda more impressive if I wasn't a fat slob.

16. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Minister of Magic

Stretch your glutes. A lot. Your hips look tight. Start pulling off blocks and lower the height when you can keep a neutral spine.

17. Silirt

Silirt Sixth Year DLP Supporter

I think the real question is why are you using customary weights in Canada.

18. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

What would good glute stretches be? Or do you mean stuff like stretching my hip-flexors? My form has improved a bit since then, but it won't hurt to make it even better.

I'm not really sure what you mean with customary weights. The deadlift spaces were all taken up, and since I was in the rack (having just done my rows), I decided to do my deadlift there. I checked later that the plates are the same height as the ones at the deadlift stations.

19. Silirt

Silirt Sixth Year DLP Supporter

That was a joke. I was under the impression that weights would be in the metric system.

20. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Minister of Magic

Google glute stretches. Try a bunch until you find one that does work. It can be a tricky area. I use a lacrosse ball to roll them out.

Nah, I don't mean hip flexors. Actual glute stretches. Maybe some adductor as well.