1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

DLP gets Fit(ter) 2018

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Jjf88, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Minister of Magic

The lifting is still going strong and I'm loving it. Interesting side benefit is that my overall fitness seems to have increased as well. I usually run one mile on the treadmill to warm up for the strength part (and do that 3x/week). At the start I could barely run 2 minutes without having to switch to walking. Three months later and I've gone from a 16 minute mile alternating running and walking, to a 10 minute mile of pure running.

A few weeks ago I started doing some cardio separate from lifting and yesterday I ran 30 minutes without pausing for the first time. I've got to say, I'm in the best shape of my life right now. I really enjoy being able to just run without feeling like shit.

My time in Canada is coming to an end. I'll def sign up for a gym once I'm back in Germany though. I think I'm starting to see slight improvements in the mirror as well.

All around good feeling. And I'm starting to feel a bit lazy on my off days.

2. Collinsworth

Collinsworth Third Year

High Score:
    @Eilyfe, if you're doing a cardio routine like running for thirty minutes straight, I would recommend that you do cardio after lifting instead of using it as a warm-up. This way, you use your glycogen stores while lifting (better muscular explosion and continuous strength) and after that, as the glycogen is depleted, cardio will have a better effect at burning fat.

3. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Minister of Magic

Slight misunderstanding. I only run a mile to warm up for lifting. I do that on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Three weeks ago I started going to the gym on Saturday too, making that my cardio day. That's where I did the thirty minutes.

4. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Professor

Anyone have experience recovering, and preventing, from shin splints.

One of my fitness goals of the year was to improve my cardio to a reasonable level. In service of which I started running 4ks daily since the new year. This was my typical distance back in Highschool so I didn’t think much of it. But about three weeks ago I completely screwed my legs. I couldn’t even walk for the pain towards the end. So I’ve substituted swimming but i’m Hoping to get back into it.

5. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

2 things: make sure you have decent running shoes, and I do mean running shoes. And don't run every single day. 4km isn't super far but going from (I assume) not running at all to running 4km every single day is a bit much. Take a day or 2 break between runs.

Also you're gonna plateau and stop getting much benefit if you do the exact same run every time (and if you just want to reach a particular level of cardio fitness and maintain that, maybe that's fine). Vary up the distance, speed, surfaces you run on. If you want to work on speed, look at intervals, hill sprints and fartlek runs. If you want to build up endurance, throw in a long (but much slower) run once a week and try build up the distance.

6. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Professor

Any particular brand known as good? I’ve been using Nikes, the ones sold as runners not the fashion sneakers, but I feel like they haven’t been exactly doing wonders for my stride.

I had been planning on focusing on increasing the time of the distance. But I’m guessing I’d be better off splitting the session into interval training some days and the long run?

7. Solfege

Solfege Headmaster DLP Supporter

Runnersworld publishes a yearly review of sneakers. You can look and track down past seasons' iterations.

The typical advice is to increase weekly distance by no more than 10%. For speed work I've found that establishing a distance base is helpful. Interval sessions are much better with endurance to hold up to the intensity. The daily mileage matters less than the weekly count, and when trying to establish endurance (as you are beginning) keeping it at a relaxed pace is much better than forcing the stride. The body will find its efficiencies over time, but only if you let it.

My recollection of high school running is first to get the distance, so perhaps one or two months taking up weekly mileage, and then separating off into 2-3 interval workouts a week.

8. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Groundskeeper

Try to go to a shop that has a treadmill and salespeople that know what they are doing if you have any like that in your area. There's no such thing as a shoe that is good for everyone. Will be a bit more expensive but you will be very thankful!

9. wox2d

wox2d Fourth Year

If anyone wants some motivation:

cavill_buff_crop.jpg

Seeing Henry Cavill get even MORE jacked makes me want to disappear into a cave for eight months and then come out fucking jacked as shit.

10. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Minister of Magic

Just noticed that there's an insane carry-over from dips to push ups. About a month ago, whenever I was doing diamond push ups, (no matter if a real diamond or hands close together), I could only do maybe 2 before my wrists started to hurt, even with tucked elbows and everything.

Then I introduced dips into my routine (for now resistance band supported), and 4 weeks later, I can suddenly do 3x8 diamond push ups, no sweat and no wrist pain. I'm pretty stoked about that.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  11. Imariel

Imariel Death Eater DLP Supporter

I feel like that's one of the main benefits of working without machines generally. You end up strengthening joints and other areas that support the proper movement as a byproduct. To be fair you also risk not doing the exercises correctly but that's another issue :^)

Either way, always nice to hear people progress!