1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey DLP authors, there's a bit less than a month left to wow us with your story about Daphne or Azkaban.

The Author applies the words to the paper or it gets the hose. Write or die! The more the merrier.

Click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

DLP gets Fit(ter) 2018

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Jjf88, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Supreme Mugwump

I've never done the Strong Viking, but I've done a few Tough Mudders, which look to be kind of similar based on distance/obstacle count.

When I did my first, I could limp around a 5K in about 45 minutes, and would then sleep for a day, and feel sore for a week. I didn't do any lifting, any bodyweight exercises, and my warm-up was a coffee with two sugars.

Trust me, you'll be fine.

If you want to do well, then (probably) the most important things are general cardio, and bodyweight exercises. Can you run/jog the total distance of the event? If you can, then try doing it with a weight vest, or a backpack with water in. And pour water on yourself first, so you're cold and wet. If you can't, still do that, but also increase your distance. Don't worry about pace, unless you're seriously aiming to win (you shouldn't be, if you don't know what you're in for).
    However, as this is an OCR, you won't need to run the whole distance. Due to waiting times at obstacles, you'll quite possibly have loads of extra breathing time during the run. If you want to improve running, the NHS has the C25K scheme, which you can download for free as audiofiles, or buy an app that will sort through your own music rather than the free crap they used. If you can already run 2/3K, then this shouldn't take the full nine weeks.

Also, work on getting yourself to do pull-ups, jumps, rope climbs, and heaving yourself over a wall. Bearcrawls are also likely to crop up on course. If you've got a kids' playground nearby, you can try and work on your monkey-bars and grip strength.
    I don't have any numbers for this, but bigger is better.

Also, you're going to be exhausted.

I cannot stress this enough, you will (probably) feel like a shambling corpse.

Do not plan on driving back that day. Do not plan on going into work the next day. Do not plan on sleeping less than 12 hours after you crash.

Have a large carb-loaded meal the night before, and a solid-but-light breakfast the day of. Porridge and banana has worked well for me, or getting up an hour earlier, and having a camping ration pack thing.

2. Nazgus

Nazgus Chief Warlock

So I've been going through some not so great times in regards to mental health, and my mom insisted I pick up running to help. I've been doing it on and off for a few weeks, but last night committed to doing a 30 minute run every day from now on. Went for the first one this morning, and followed it up with 10 push ups, 10 sit ups, and 45 seconds of planking.

Might not be much, but it's more than I've done on any sort of consistent basis in a long time. Feel tired after it, but it's a good sort of tired.

3. Xepheria

Xepheria The Benefactor

High Score:
    Been training pretty heavily recently, about four times a week, intensely, on top of cycling and free weights - still sitting at around 61-63kg, but I'm getting noticeably more muscular, which is quite nice with summer upcoming. An old friend that I hadn't seen in a while even commented on it! Might actually feel comfortable with going shirtless in the sun :V

On a side note, my Muay Thai has improved a lot over the past six months, and I've got a seminar and a few sessions of personal training with a multiple time Lumpinee/Rajadamnern champion who's visiting my gym next week.

4. Nazgus

Nazgus Chief Warlock

Went again today, and managed to push myself better for the full half hour. Took some light breaks yesterday, but said fuck that and ran the full time today. Felt good.

Anyone have suggestions for stretches to do before and after? There seems to be a massive number to choose from going by Google, not sure what is key.

5. Imariel

Imariel Headmaster DLP Supporter

Finally breached 90kg for the first time since I was in the military, 90.1 still counts.

Growing feels good, my goal was 92 then shedding down to 90 again but looking at where I'm at on 90 feels like I could go even higher. I'll probably keep lean bulking until I feel differently.

6. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Auror

Hamstrings, psoas, adductors, IT band and quadriceps are what I recommend for runners.

7. Agent Zero

Agent Zero Seventh Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Is there not a 2019 Thread?

So I've started actually going to the gym again. Haven't been since I started a my current job a couple years ago but with redundancy on the horizon I figured I'd take advantage of the free gym. I'm starting off slow, doing the Couch to 5K Program, treating walking as 5km/h and jogging/running as 10km/h. It's not too bad though I may eventually have to slow my running down to 8km/h.

Problem is, I don't think my running technique is good. I don't think I'm landing my left leg like I should be doing since after the third run, it start to ache far more than the right and I'm limping to the locker room by the end of the workout.

8. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

You can always ask someone to film you when you are runing, it’s hard to know about technique if you can’t see it and the pain could be from some injury or sth. Just ask someone on the gym to film you with phone and see for yourself eventually ask someone who is expeeinced I know that there are runing personaln trainers and do on.

9. Nazgus

Nazgus Chief Warlock

So my ankle started hurting while running. Worse each day I ignored it (bad idea, who would've guessed?), so a friend persuaded me to take advantage of the free health care in the UK and get checked by a doctor. Was told I should get better insoles to help with fix my flat feet, and given some ankle stretches to do daily. Was advised I should avoid strenuous activity for a week, but it didn't happen when I was just lightly jogging so I think I'll try that today to see if I can get by with it. I really don't want to go back to no exercise, so hopefully a light 20 minute jog won't result in any pain.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  10. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

@Agent One: @Kurufinwe is right, hard to say without being able to see, but it could be anything from poor technique, an old injury, flat feet, one shoe being more worn-out than the other or the surface you're running on being slightly banked. Or any of a hundred other reasons. If you're limping at the end of a run that's a pretty bad sign though. Might be worth seeing a doctor.

@Nazgus: Honestly if your doctor says no exercise I'd cut even the light jogging out. It might not feel like you're straining it but why take the risk?

In personal news, the Cork City marathon is on June 2nd and I haven't really done any training since the 100 miles in February. Went for a 5k yesterday before the gym, doing a 10 miler tonight, and a 16 mile run on Saturday. If they all go well then I can probably limp over the line for the marathon. If not then I might need to drop down to the half. Whoops. <.<

11. Nazgus

Nazgus Chief Warlock

@Oz: Yeah I started feeling a bit of pain around minute 19 of the jog. Was planning to try again tomorrow with a break in the middle but you're probably right... Blah. I'm just pissed because that morning jog helps me get my day started right and feel more motivated throughout. Not happy at all to have to cut it out so soon after finding the will to start it.

Good luck with your marathon prep though.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  12. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

Just to stay in the mindspace, try to do some other sort of exercise. Doesn't have to be effective, just keep you in there mentally so perhaps do some situps/pushups for fifteen minutes?

Worst thing you can do is damage it more and then have to stay away from running for a much longer period.

13. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Minister of Magic

Update: things are going quite well. I stayed relatively injury-free since I started exercising last October. Running shoes helped with the pain and I'm consistently running 5km, sometimes more, three days a week. Having had no access to a gym for the start of the year, I finally transitioned back to weights at the beginning of May, although I kept some bodyweight options like dips and pull-ups. Three sessions a week here as well.

Overall I'm pretty happy. Nine months ago I could barely hang on a bar; now I can bust out 6,5,4,3,3 in terms of reps during chin-ups (did it two days ago, which is why I proudly give such precise numbers lol), and it shows in how my back has started to look recently.

The one thing I still haven't gotten a grip on is my weight. I've been hovering around 88-90 kg for half a year now, and that, too, shows, namely in all the bellyfat and on my sides. I know what to do, how to eat, macros, etc. It's just that I also like to drink and eat at parties, and that always throws off my progress whenever I make some. One day, though, one day . . .

14. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Headmaster DLP Supporter

Update: I am an inflatable raft, and someone pulled the pin.

Keeping fit at 46 is no joke, especially when your only non-sport hobby is cooking, and you've blown your back out too many times to make sport possible.

15. Nazgus

Nazgus Chief Warlock

Not a fan of swimming? Vaguely recall that being good for bad backs.

16. Microwave

Microwave Seventh Year

I guess, yeah. Won't really improve your back conditions though, a lot of slouching is involved in the swimming. It sort of becomes a default posture after doing it a lot.

17. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Headmaster DLP Supporter

It would be the best thing by far... if it wasn't for the fact I'm allergic to chlorine. And the ocean up here is a balmy 45ish degrees, so that's a no-go, even with a dry suit. I'm walking the dog more, and start on a good CICO meal plan I'd used before after Father's Day - I'm packing the smoker full and having the fam over, so I'll be eating well while suffering the meat sweats on Monday.

Weight elevator, going down again.

18. Nazgus

Nazgus Chief Warlock

Haven't heard of that, but even if it doesn't improve the back it won't make it worse and will let you exercise. Seems good enough no?

EDIT: @Johnnyseattle damn that sucks. I know salt pools are a thing, my uncle uses that instead of chlorine, but I doubt that any public pools would go for it. Sounds like you have some good steps in mind and in progress though, so best of luck!

19. The Waco Kid

The Waco Kid Groundskeeper

Frustrated, back on the shelf mostly with a recurrence of knee pain similar to a couple of years ago. Same problem it seems. Quad tendinitis and IT band straining and tugging the kneecap off the groove as a result. Oh, and bonus hip bursitis this time. Need to start PT again, which means finding a new one, since I didn't think the last one worked well