1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

DLP gets Fit(ter) 2018

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Jjf88, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Supreme Mugwump

I've never done the Strong Viking, but I've done a few Tough Mudders, which look to be kind of similar based on distance/obstacle count.

When I did my first, I could limp around a 5K in about 45 minutes, and would then sleep for a day, and feel sore for a week. I didn't do any lifting, any bodyweight exercises, and my warm-up was a coffee with two sugars.

Trust me, you'll be fine.

If you want to do well, then (probably) the most important things are general cardio, and bodyweight exercises. Can you run/jog the total distance of the event? If you can, then try doing it with a weight vest, or a backpack with water in. And pour water on yourself first, so you're cold and wet. If you can't, still do that, but also increase your distance. Don't worry about pace, unless you're seriously aiming to win (you shouldn't be, if you don't know what you're in for).
    However, as this is an OCR, you won't need to run the whole distance. Due to waiting times at obstacles, you'll quite possibly have loads of extra breathing time during the run. If you want to improve running, the NHS has the C25K scheme, which you can download for free as audiofiles, or buy an app that will sort through your own music rather than the free crap they used. If you can already run 2/3K, then this shouldn't take the full nine weeks.

Also, work on getting yourself to do pull-ups, jumps, rope climbs, and heaving yourself over a wall. Bearcrawls are also likely to crop up on course. If you've got a kids' playground nearby, you can try and work on your monkey-bars and grip strength.
    I don't have any numbers for this, but bigger is better.

Also, you're going to be exhausted.

I cannot stress this enough, you will (probably) feel like a shambling corpse.

Do not plan on driving back that day. Do not plan on going into work the next day. Do not plan on sleeping less than 12 hours after you crash.

Have a large carb-loaded meal the night before, and a solid-but-light breakfast the day of. Porridge and banana has worked well for me, or getting up an hour earlier, and having a camping ration pack thing.