1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP Stocks Challenge III

Discussion in 'Flash and Spam Games' started by Scrib, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

Since people seem to want to play and no one wants to make the game I took the liberty of creating my own. I didn't know what settings people wanted so I went for a pretty standard $500K starting budget and a six month run time.

If you have a different nick name on MarketWatch please post it here so we can make fun of you when you crash and burn :).For some reason I'm known as Pallson on the site.

Name: DLPStocks
    Password: notnetflix

Lets see if anyone can top Psychotic Cat :p

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I am having a hell of a lot of trouble for some reason. I know I played this in the past without issue.

But I forgot my password, so I had it e-mailed to me, fine, then it said I had to confirm something in a registration e-mail, fine... but when I try to confirm it it just takes me back to the page to pick a username again, which then sends me another registration e-mail. If I try to go back through it again I have to pick a different username which it then... sends me a registration e-mail for.

Happens every time I try to log in. Frustration.

3. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I had similar troubles, but when I logged in from another computer a few hours later it worked and has been working since.

4. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I don't think the budget is working. I hit 200 shares for Samsung and my worth went up by 1.5 billion. :v

Stopped adding shares once I hit 499.8k. Have gained 600 bucks in a few seconds. ^_^

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  5. Ched

Good call man. Setting everything up now.

Edit: Need some more folks in here guys, only eight of us at the moment. I've only spent half my money too, mwahaha.

Edit2: I bought a couple of stocks (maybe 1/3 of my total) by searching using this "Stock Screener" off the same website that runs the game. If anyone else was interested.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  6. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

Anyone know what's up with Berkshire A?
    I can trade it fine when it shows up on my trading home screen but I can't search for it and trade it. Suggestions?

Also, partial trading doesn't seem to work.

For the guy who started this game I'm definately not very knowledgeable about it xD.

7. Ched

I'm not that great at it either -- I only know what about 2/3 of the buy/sell options are.

8. Plothole

Plothole Fifth Year

It's strange, everyone talks about how buggy the system is but I haven't had any problems so far. Lucky me I guess.

Frankly, you only need to know what the extra buy/sell options are if you start to trade stock with real money. If you're curious anyway, you can go here.

9. Ched

The only reason this game vaguely interests me is because I want to get into doing this real money at some point. Maybe I'm wrong but I assumed this was true for everyone else as well. At any rate, that is exactly why I want to know what the other options do, so that I can practice using them properly with fake money.

Thank you for the link. :)

Edit: I've got 100k or so of my 500k left-over after buying stuff that made some sense to me. Portfolios are closed so I can't see what everyone else is buying, any super good tips? ;)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  10. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

I would love the answer to this question, trying to short the wrong company left me in the crapper.

But tbh, the links at the bottom are your best friend.It's where I got the tip that a company called Dynergy (DYN) had filed bankruptcy and that it's share price had risen as a result, one of my few successful purchases.

And that a pharmaceutical company's stock whose name I cbf'd to remember (code:TRTG), was in freefall. Seriously, the graph looks like a drawing of a cliff face. So short it, or buy it while it's cheap and hope it rises.

Activision is doing well on the release of MW3, who knows how long that will last though.

But seriously World and Xantam need to get in here and share the love :p.

11. Plothole

Plothole Fifth Year

Well, if you want a stock that is really undervalued check out Alcoa (AA). At one point, it was trading above $40. Now it's hovering around $11. Also, unless something completely unexpected happens you are pretty safe going with a big oil company like Chevron (CVX).

12. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Haha honestly, I have no idea what I'm doing. I just bought a lot of stock in a few companies that I knew a little bit about and I thought could see gains in the near future. That's why I have like 100 less transactions than pretty much anyone else.

Edit:Which is why I dropped like 30k today.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  13. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'm just playing around, trying to make some short-term gains.

Which left me with a loss of about 7k yesterday because I shorted at the wrong time ... and I haven't thrown the stuff out yet. Let's see if patience pays off ...

Edit: It did ;)

Edit 2: I just noticed it paid off even more than I expected - I shorted XOM at about 79, and it closed at 79.5 - put a limit of 78.9 on it, and it opened today at 77.90. Boom, 18k profit :D

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  14. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

Holy shit. I'm glad that I restrained myself from just selling everything and huddling up in a corner crying. The slump these last two days were scary, if I hadn't seen that everyone was doing as badly I probably would have bailed, as it is everything is finally trending up again :awesome... except Activision :(

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  15. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

I was about ready to call it quits too... But things are looking up again :p

16. Plothole

Plothole Fifth Year

Yeah, the market does stuff like that a lot recently. If I bothered to learn how to short stocks I bet I could make some cash on the downturns.

17. Fishy Justice

Fishy Justice Fourth Year

God damn it Apple stop failing. Everything else is doing fine.

/Never give in, trust your instincts!

18. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

lol, dodging Apple is the only good decision I made. I looked at the $400 share price and went "Yeah, there's nowhere for this stock to go but down".

If only I had the good sense to do the same to Dyncorp...

19. Ched

Are most of you playing actively and selling often? I was planning on mostly holding onto all my shares and seeing where they're at on more of a monthly or bimonthly basis, unless there is a big upset (huge drops, huge gains, etc.) over a short period of time.

20. Plothole

Plothole Fifth Year

I buy into stocks for the long term. No monthly buying and selling for me.