1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

DLP Survey 2017

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Taure, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's that time again!

Survey link here.

Results link here.

Last year's thread here.

2. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I'm the 10th responder and so far we are old white men...

3. Clerith

Clerith Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Hmm, some new political questions? It's seriously been a year already tho? =.=

The hardest question this time around. Wouldn't read either.

The only change I noticed from last year was dropping my HP fanfiction reading from weekly to monthly. I still read other fiction daily though.

4. Narf

Narf Administrator Admin DLP Supporter

Really? That was a no brainer for me. There are good H/G fics. There are 0 good H/Hr fics.

5. Oz

Oz Heir to Hogwarts Moderator DLP Supporter

Wow, Sree, you got that so backwards.

6. Taure

High Score:
    Sree has always been an advocate of the Potter tradition of red.

7. Download

Download Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Lol, someone actually voted harem?

8. Miner

Miner Groundskeeper

28 responses, 28 males.

Yikes.

And since I haven't touched H/Hr while I have at least read Grow Young With Me, I gotta go with H/G.

9. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

It's interesting since usually ffnet and ao3 and such places are majority women instead...

10. CheddarTrek

CheddarTrek Set Phasers to Melt Moderator DLP Supporter

One or two questions I had trouble with and and wanted a "fill-in-the-blank" or more options, but in general good survey.

11. The Pro

The Pro Seventh Year

High Score:
    This so much. There should have been a bit more diversity in regards to some of the responses to the questions. There should've also been some more questions where we were allowed to offer our own responses. It was a pretty good survey nonetheless.

And the H/Hr or H/G question was :awesome

12. Taure

High Score:
    Limiting diversity is often part of the point.

For example, one could argue on the religion question that one can distinguish existential beliefs from cultural practices. One can be a cultural Christian but not actually believe that God the entity exists.

What then does this person answer to the question?

But the whole point is that by limiting respondents to a single response to a generally phrased question, the respondent is forced to make a value judgement of their own as to what is the most important aspect of religious identity. If they think existential belief is more important, they will put atheist. If they consider cultural identity more important, they will put Christian.

The purpose of surveys like this is to acquire quantitative data. The problem with providing too many "other" options or fine gradations between positions is that it gradually turns the quantitative data into qualitative. Yes, the survey will be more accurate that way, but it would fail to produce interesting generalisations.

13. Marsupial

Marsupial Death Eater DLP Supporter

There's not really a category in the 'what industry do you work in' that I would fully fall under. Having a combined arts/culture/museums category would do it as would having a social sciences category, but as it stands I get to randomly pick 1 of the 4 categories that sort of fit.

14. Miner

Miner Groundskeeper

Huh.

I knew there was an "assume female unless otherwise stated" thing, but I didn't realize that that equated to "there are vastly more women than men on ffnet and ao3."

15. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Who thinks brexit was a good idea? Weird.

I think a few questions could have used a third possible answer: "meh"

16. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Agreed with the dislike of dichotomous answers for some of the questions, but it's probably to make people really think about whether or not they support something. (Because 'meh' is safe and noncommittal.)

I entered my disjointed answers once again.

17. CheddarTrek

CheddarTrek Set Phasers to Melt Moderator DLP Supporter

Apparently a lot of the political type questions were optional? That wasn't clear. XD

18. Taure

High Score:
    At the start of the survey there is a key:

19. Palindrome

Palindrome Magma Moderator Moderator DLP Supporter

Yeah, there wasn't a category for software engineers to easily fall under, too - and there's tons of us on DLP. You might argue for IT, but for most Brits at least IT means everything from administration, tech support, computer repair, security and sysadmin roles - none of which involve any programming for the most part. Job titles are usually advertised as such.

I sit next to some grumpy, grumpy IT guys at work and there's a world of difference. They're the guys who get to deal with the fallout of WannaCry taking out half the network on the shop floor, and the idiots from central taking out the rest of it in their botched attempt to fix it. And glaring at the poor souls who walk over to them at that point and dare ask them for a new USB keyboard. If someone asks me for a keyboard, I get to just throw on my best shit-eating grin and direct them to the grumpiest guy.

I'd sum up the big difference as this: programmers don't have to deal with bullshit. ;)

So is that distinction any different to Americans?

Yeah... we really could have done with a lot of those political questions near the end there being optional. I think we'll get a lot of unthoughtful responses because by then the people who aren't as interested in politics just want it to be over, and those questions weren't simple or fundamentally things people would have opinions on near the end.

Edit: also, where my boob and dick size questions at? I've been taking dick enhancers I ordered from the internet, so I wanted to update you all on my progress :(

20. Oz

Oz Heir to Hogwarts Moderator DLP Supporter

I was wavering between IT and high tech industries but just went with IT.