1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Does the Library need cleaning?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by warner, May 20, 2017.

1. warner

warner Disappeared

High Score:
    There are many fics which don't really deserve to be there. Anyone else think a clean up is necessary to keep DLP standards high?

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Applying current standards to the library would likely result in it having about 5 fics in it. Best to leave it as it is with the understanding that historical standards are not the same as what we look for in fics now.

And of course, there's nothing stopping members from going in and rating fics they think are bad.

3. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

Or reviewing them, as I understand it. That could be interesting in some cases.

4. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My goodness! Warner has gone on a tangent with a huge volume of posts today.

5. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

I actually do think DLP would benefit from such a clean up.

However, I admit that I don't have the first clue on how to organize something like that, because it would definitely be problematic to pull off.

You'd basically have to scrap the current rating from everything that was put in the library before, say, 2008/09. But what do you do then? Do you create polls for each fic, most of which are commonly known and therefore not exactly interesting to read again? I bet those would have pretty low participation. Or ... do you ask a select group of people to do all the work? Who would be up for the task of re-rating so many fics? Or ... would you just delete them? Then the library would indeed be pretty empty.

So, might be beneficial, but I don't think it's possible.

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Regardless of the merit of such an undertaking, the Review Board and Library don't exactly see tons of traffic. Most of the archive was created years ago. Since then DLP has grown beyond fan fiction and some people have moved on from it, their tastes have matured. If you wanted to reevaluate all of the old fics you'd need a bunch of reviews for each one and that's just not gonna happen. Plenty of people read without reviewing. And no one's gonna want to spend hours upon hours reading old fics that may have not aged well just to conclude that DLP circa 2017 would've tossed them into trash vs DLP circa 2007.

I don't get this obsession with "cleaning up the Library". Not the first time this came up in my time here and I'm not exactly a DLP old timer. If you're smart enough to realize that some fics rated 5 stars eight years ago are 2 stars today, you're smart enough to take the archive date into consideration when looking for stuff to read.

If you're concerned with how it looks, well, consider this. Anyone on DLP who's been around long enough to even care about this knows the reality of the situation and everyone else can fuck off. The Library is a part of DLP's history and I for one think it's pretty fucking cool that the forum is still going strong and continually elevating standards after 12 years.

If you wanna contribute, write a good fic or find good fics to submit to the Review Board.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  7. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I have no intention of purging the library. It's contents has historical value.

8. Donimo

Donimo Auror

It belongs in a museum?

9. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Pretty much echo exactly what ScottPress said. This has been suggested before, and some people have even gone and tried to lower the ratings systematically on older fics. If the fandom suddenly started up and the place where fanfic was 'left' at development wise started getting pushed more, I'd be down. Otherwise it's really silly.

Beyond logistic problems of having people go reread stuff, you're also biased by a lack of context. Some of the fics in the library read tropey now because they created those tropes in the fandom. The fact that they did a neat thing and authors came later and drove the concept into the ground doesn't make the fic retroactively worse for it.

Anyway, yeah. Not gonna happen.

10. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I don't particularly care, because I don't read stories written before DH came out.

However, as others have said, it's part of DLP history so for whatever that's worth it should be preserved.

After all, DLP history is quite colorful ;)

June 2005 DLP via WaybackMachine:

[​IMG]

11. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Not gonna lie, I really liked those categories and was a little bummed when we switched. The Severus one existing was weird as fuck even then but at least it segregated them.