1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Don't Look Back by Onyx and Elm - M

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Zeleis, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Zeleis

Zeleis Squib

Title: Don't Look Backl
    Author: Onyx and Elm
    Rating: NC17/M
    Genre: Romance
    Library Category: Restricted Section
    Pairing: Hermione Granger/Draco Malfoy
    Summary: It's the smell of it. Chemical. Bitter and sharp as a raw edge on metal. Just a hint of it as she passes him at breakfast — but enough to stop her dead, mid-step. There is Wolfsbane in his tea. Draco/Hermione. Sixth-Year. Werewolf AU.
    Links: FFN - https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13701592/1/Don-t-Look-Back
    AO3 - https://archiveofourown.org/works/26453452/chapters/64455256

The premise for this work is simple: Hermione discovers that at some point over the summer after fifth year, Draco has been bitten and infected with Lycanthropy. Her curiosity drives her to seek Draco out and learn more about how he's dealing with his condition. Shortly thereafter, she discovers she has been bonded to Draco as something called a Paramour; the implications of which involve shared physical and emotional sensations. The fic essentially follows Hermione's perspective as she attempts to navigate this new relationship.

So it's a dressed up Soul Bond fic. I've never been particularly keen on this trope in fanfiction as it's usually just a cheap way for an author to pair two characters together. The bond itself is rarely explored in depth, merely acting as an invisible hand which pushes the characters together but then swiftly fades into the background. I've always just found it to be lazy writing.

This fic has pleasantly surprised me in that regard. The bond between Hermione and Draco remains in the foreground of the story once it's introduced. Seeing Hermione and Draco learn more about the intricacies of the bond and it's effect on them is actually compelling. The lore about Werewolves and Paramours that the author has constructed is interesting. You can tell the author has taken care in crafting this bond and as a result it avoids the major problem I normally have with this trope. Moreover, this information is well-spread throughout the work in smaller chunks, rather than info-dumped, which I appreciate. I find myself looking forward to when the next piece of information will come up in the text.

The prose in this work is (for the most part) technically sound and engaging. I never found myself skimming over any sections, which is a rarity for me when I read fanfiction. The dialogue is enjoyable and feels mostly natural. Some parts of the narration feel a bit stilted, but I find them few and far between. One clear annoyance I do have is that I feel the author overuses italics for emphasis, which does feel a bit grating at points.

This story is narrow in scope. The plot centres around Hermione and her relationship with Draco. This has the effect of pushing the other characters to the margins. I don't mind this, as it is a romance and I do like the pairing. But I could see someone who's more ambivalent on this pairing not enjoying this fic as much because of the intense focus on the two characters to the exclusion of others.

Characterisation in this fic is enjoyable. Hermione and Draco feel OOC in that Hermione quickly offers to help Draco manage his condition, which Draco also quickly seems to accept. It felt a bit too easy when I first read this fic, but I suppose it's explained away by the bond drawing them together. Hermione is darker than her canonical counterpart. She feels a bit more sultry too. There are a couple points in the work where she feels like an outright temptress. I like this, it makes Hermione feel very entertaining to read about. Draco is also a lot of fun. He seems a lot more bitter about his current situation than Hermione does, which is to be expected. He also occupies a more passive (for lack of a better term) role in this story then might be expected. He's more resistant to the implications of the bond then she is, and Hermione drives forward the sexual elements of the plot. Having said that, he still feels like he has agency and he's not entirely reactive, but Hermione is the dominant one in this fic. In spite of their differences from Canon, they both still feel recognisable as Hermione and Draco. There is definitely the sort of friction you'd expect between these two characters. Their interactions are a lot of fun.

There are smutty elements sprinkled in. But it is sparse. It is certainly not the focus of the fic. What is there is well-executed, and it builds effectively on the tension the author manages to develop between Hermione and Draco. As of now, the story isn't particularly explicit, but the author has tagged the story as having 'Explicit Sexual Content' on A03, so I thought it best to play it safe and note that it belonged in the Restricted Section.

Overall, this fic, whilst not perfect, is very enjoyable and I believe it would make a suitable addition to the library. The author has made regular updates since the fic was first published back in September (70k words since then) and I trust that this story won't end up abandoned. I would say that this story is a must read for fans of the pairing and that those who aren't as keen should give it a try - you might be surprised.

4/5

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  2. James

James Unspeakable

It's the smell of it. Chemical. Bitter and sharp as a raw edge on metal.

ugh. Melodramatic Hr/D? No, thank you.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  3. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

I read it. Its well written. Undoubtedly not to the taste to the majority of people on this site but the author knows how to write for her audience.

It is in no way attempting to reinvent the wheel/subvert the trope. It is basically trying to be the best Hermione/Draco smut ladened soul bond creature fic it can be. Mainly by exploring the tension and emotional implications of the situation.

If you are ever inclined to try out this trope this would be the one to read. If the idea repulses you don't bother as there isn't any more to it than exactly what it says on the tin.

The author got taken to task by twitter over a earlier story she wrote which apparently has some problematic elements. She announced she's taking a break from the fandom so despite previously having a really consistent update rate it might not get finished.

Which is a bit of a shame. There is potential here. This doesn't seem to want to redeem Malfoy's personality and if the author widens the scope enough to put them on opposite sides of the war it could get genuinely interesting. Or it could just get boring once the relationship sorts itself out as often happens in this kind of thing.

Edit: There is no reason why a well written version of this or most other premises can't be in the library. @Zeleis has done exactly what we ask, this is thorough and thoughtful write up, presented in the proper format. As a site we have matured past banning otherwise harmless* tropes on principle alone.

*As of chapter 19

That being said there is a clear intention to play with themes of consent. Particularly as you have -
    Three entities/personalities feeling the sensations of two bodies, some of the time reluctantly.
    Where your line is on that sort of thing is always going to be personal. Since the issue people had with the authors last story was apparently to do with the same sort of thing, it might be if she does continue it veers off the deep end at some point.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  4. Zeleis

Zeleis Squib

The consent issue is a fair concern. The shared sensations is certainly an element of the plot that needs to be handled with care. I'm reminded of the masturbation scene in chapter 12. Hermione being encouraged to masturbate by the third entity, which Draco feels the effects of and which drives him to do the same is on the face of it a well executed bit of smut which pushes their relationship forward just enough to keep the plot moving. But it gets dicey when you remember how resistant Draco is to the whole idea of a sexual relationship with Hermione. Even with the soul bond, does she really have the right to do it?

Obviously she was encouraged by the third/wolf entity, and I think that the author does well to establish and develop the sexual tension between the two of them to the point where you can reasonably say that Draco is just lying to himself. But it's still a sensitive part of the plot and I think it could get into some uncomfortable territory if the author mishandles it to the point where this dubious consent issue seems to be romanticised.

There's also the whole "Draco's body gets possesed occasionally" thing which has the potential for even more explicit discomfort. Draco's body being used like that whilst he isn't in control of it could very much be considered a form of rape and it has a very small margin for error in terms of execution by the author.

Having said that, this three-way relationship that seems to be developing between Hermione, Draco and the Wolf is actually very interesting. I'm curious to see how the author plans to resolve the split mind thing Draco has going on. I'm going to optimistacally assume that it's probably going to involve Draco actually accepting who he is since being bitten and the subsequent restabilisation of his identity would cause the seperate personality to merge. Or something like that lol.

It's been a while since I've read her previous work. But I do remember Draco in that fic being extremely unpleasant at points throughout, which did catch some ire from readers at the time. However, it wasn't like his awful moments came out of nowhere. They were consistent with his initial characterisation in the fic, so I don't think there neccersarily needs to be a worry about things going off the deep end as of right now. No gurantees of course, but I'm optimistic!