1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DLP Writing Competition
    Topic - Master and Apprentice (or Mentor and Protege!)

Click here for more info!
    Don't miss the due date this time Guest - it's March 13th!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Doubt on Plagiarism

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Golden Shadow, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Golden Shadow

Golden Shadow Squib

I'm writing a fic and wanted to confirm whether certain aspects of it were permissible on this site (or otherwise). I doubt it counts as plagiarism, but I'm not really an expert and thought it better to err on the side of caution before posting on WbA.

That aside, the actual parts I wanted to clear were:

1. I've featured the concept of Voldemort's hocruxi having aims and ambitions of their own, not necessarily compatible with Voldemort's own. I got the idea from PotDK. Obviously I haven't taken the personality or goals or anything of the miniVoldemort there, just the concept of the soul pieces having their own will once activated or 'awakened'.

2. The second is even more abstract, basically a fic (can't remember the name, but it had a necromancer Harry with an OC mentor) had the concept of the imperious curse being more versatile than just shown in Canon. When cast on a person, there is an induced feeling of euphoria, and a command is transmitted. The fic had the concept of this being the overpowering 'battering ram' usage of the spell, wherein the subtler application would be the euphoria being significantly dialed down and the spell being dormant for periods of time, until a command was given, which could be disguised to appear to the victim as their own thought and will. This would be how a person could be held under the imperious for long periods of time while not appearing drugged throughout the experience.

2. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

As a mod, this sounds fine. As long as you're not directly copy pasting huge sections or just straight using the same story beats / plot points for the majority of your fic, I believe you're in the clear.

Go forth and post.

3. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator DLP Gold Supporter

It's FanFiction, it is by its nature derivative. 90% of FanFiction cribs other people's ideas or plays with fanon developed troupes. So long as you are writing those ideas yourself and trying to do something new with them then it's fine.

Like Halt said, so long as you arn't copy/pasting other people's writing or rewriting someone's entire story beat for beat then you are good.