1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dual booting Vista and Xp

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by DarthBill, Sep 17, 2009.

1. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Hi.

I'm trying to set up my computer to support both Vista and Xp. I've googled it and the most I can figure is that I have to set up my hardrive with another partition and load Xp onto that. I can't, however, find any instruction at all on how to do that.

I would appreciate any help in the area.

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

The OS install DVD will have a partition manager on it. For Windows, it will give you a list of all the HDD's and all the partitions of those HDD's and let you decide on which partition/HDD you want to install the OS on.

Just pick a separate partition for each OS and it should be fine. When you boot up the computer you’ll receive an option as to what OS you would like to start up.

But why Vista? Windows 7 should be coming out soon, and you can still download the RC for free, I think.

3. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

You can do this in Windows (disk management is the program I think) or use a different software like Paragorn Partition Manager.

If you only have one HDD you'll have no choice but to do it directly before the installation. Windows gives you the opportunity to format and partition your harddrives. Here is a microsoft article on how to do that.

€dit: Yeah, I would agree that you should choose Win7. Why do you want both Vista and XP?

4. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

My computer already has Vista on it. I'm trying to ad Xp so that I can play a few games that I have that aren't Vista compatible. I don't want to have to reinstall everything else, though.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  5. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

6. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Yeah, I got it to work. My problem was setting up another partition.

I finally managed it, though.

7. Trojan Knight

Trojan Knight Third Year

Yeah, that's precise. Had it been XP and you wanted to install Vista you would have been probably forced to do the annoying task of converting your Partition into NTFS (if the partition had been FAT 32). That's what the Installer asked me to do. You've to install XP without replacing Vista or in any other partition and Vista automatically gives you dual boot option as Midknight pointed out.

8. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

If you install XP after Vista, you're going to need to recover your Vista boot files, rewrite the Vista Bootloader to the mbr and then add an XP entry to the Bootloader. Vista's partition manager should be fine, but if you have an Ubuntu live CD or summat, I'd personally use that.

9. reggin

reggin Filthy Half-Breed DLP Supporter

Vista OR XP? Pick one or the other. Preferably XP. It's better than Vista.