1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Edelweiss by SalTalStudios - T

Discussion in 'Romance' started by dragaan, Oct 10, 2020.

1. dragaan

dragaan First Year

Title: Edelweiss
    Author: SalTalStudios (Saliient91 & Taliesin19)
    Rating: T
    Genre: Friendship/Romance
    Library Category: Romance
    Pairings: Harry/Fleur
    Summary: When Harry got on a broom for the first time to catch Neville's Remembrall, he never imagined it would be the start of a series of events that would lead him to a certain French witch and change his life forever. One-shot. Flowerpot. AU-no horcruxes, Pettigrew captured at the end of 3rd year.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13707263/1/Edelweiss

I found this to be a pleasant and engaging read. It's written as a series of vignettes taking placing throughout the Hogwarts years and the summers in between and telling the age old story of a friendship slowly growing into something more. Honestly nothing too surprising happens aside from some changes to focus on the budding relationship so summer camp at Beauxbatons, no looming Voldemort, and no fourth Triwizard Champion. Harry here is more mature sooner and Fleur more approachable. It's a story of an innocent romance so if that's what you're in the mood for, I'd recommend giving it a go.

4/5

2. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

It's not bad if you're looking for something that's well-written, easy to read, saccharine, and has no conflict whatsoever. There's a little bit of angst as Harry tries to figure out how to express his feelings for Fleur, and the edelweiss is a nice romantic metaphor, but there's really no meat to this story.

The characterizations aren't very close to canon. Voldemort basically doesn't exist. Harry is a quidditch prodigy whose only worry is taking summer classes at Beauxbatons to have more time for quidditch. Fleur's veela nature isn't problematic, or even mentioned. She's just a driven student. They've known each other since his first year, so there's no tension in their relationship as it builds. It's just two friends slowly growing closer. It's pure fluff, which isn't likely to appeal to many around here, but the writing is far more literate than the average fanfic.

3/5 for being well-written. But it's barely a Harry Potter story.

3. Pathological Liar

Pathological Liar Second Year

It's good. I liked it a lot. There's no conflict or a major story or drama or anything. It's two characters who are friends who fall in love. The writing is great and it is one of those fics you read that make you make feel alll... warm and fuzzy? It's a fic that you read to relax.

3.5/5

4. James

James Unspeakable

It's saccharine, has no conflict, rom-com reactions at it's best (and worst). It has weird phrases - like "… as he stuffed his mouth full of Dobby's delectable dinner." or "He finished chewing the bite, swallowed, and then forked another indecent amount of food into his mouth.". It has nonsensical background stuff that's not fully hashed out - things happen the same way as in canon, same friends, same timeline, even though this Harry is "somewhat" driven.

It's bad. I hated it a lot, because I hoped for better, given the writing - which isn't horrible, just with a weird phrase every so often.

2/5

5. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Its a fun little rom-com, nothing much really to it. The writing is alright, nothing great, but nothing terrible. Some interesting ideas but they don't have the space to be developed.

3/5

6. Shahenshah_Aniket

Shahenshah_Aniket Muggle

It's a cute story full of fluff
    4/5

7. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I'm not going to lie, I thought it was cute.

Not great. Not awful. Pretty good and cute. 4/5