1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Effloresco Secundus by Romantiscue - M - HP/Naruto

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by yak, Nov 1, 2015.

1. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Title: Effloresco Secundus
    Author: Romantiscue
    Rating: M
    Genre: Drama/Friendship
    Library Category: The Alternates
    Pairings: None
    Chapters: 27
    Words: 169,719
    Summary: Harry was never the only person with a penchant for tripping into the most absurd of situations. Reincarnated!Hermione. Somewhat darker than the usual take on Naruto. Political machinations. Character progression. Strong friendship, no romance.
    Link: FanFiction.Net

The protagonist is a war weary, adult Hermione, who finds herself possessing a six year old Sakura Haruno and accidentally killing the girl's father within minutes of arrival. We meet up with Hermione half-a-dozen years later as she's graduating from Konoha's Ninja Academy and about to join Team Seven. By this stage she's well and truly integrated herself into her new life and thinks of herself as Sakura.

Hermione is an adult in a child's body, and she never loses that adult perspective or the experiences that led up to this point. We occasionally see comparisons between the events happening on the page and similar happenings from her past life in the HP'verse. These are some of the few insights into the circumstances surrounding her character and how she arrived here.

Recovering even an inch of Hermione's previous magical ability is something that she has been wrestling with since her arrival. We do see a burst of almost accidental magic at a particularly stressful moment during a fight, but she makes no great strides afterwards and struggles for every scrap she can get. The author knows how overly powerful HP magic is in the Naruto-verse and has been incredibly restrictive in what they've allowed Hermione to accomplish. We can see some light on the magic-wielding horizon and progress is being made slowly. In the latest chapters we finally see Hermione using magic deliberately as part of a plan, rather than the sporadic bursts of almost-accidental magic that we've seen so far.

Coming from her exhausting post-canon war, Hermione is a bit cold, pragmatic, and disconnected from her peers. We can see this attitude in many aspects of her life, but she still allows Naruto and Sasuke to worm their way into her heart. She does mother them a bit, but is also their friend. This story is very much about the friendships of Team Seven. They don't really trust anyone else - Kakashi more than most, but not even him entirely. The story has a Team Seven vs. the World feel to it at times.

Naruto is still his happy-go-lucky self, although he's slowly losing his naivety. Sasuke is still a closed off bastard, but he's found himself ever so slightly opening up to the other two members of his team. Naruto, Sasuke, and Hermione all have secrets from one another, and its fun to see their secrets slowly being eroded away as their friendship grows. Hermione's greatest secrets are her past life, her potential for magic, and that she's possessing the real Sakura's body.

The plot isn't spell binding, but it never bored me either. We follow along the general direction of canon, but with large differences. I think that the writer enjoys turning our expectations on their heads. So, Sakura studies seals and gets nowhere with them, there is no bell test, Jiraiya shows up and gets shunned by Naruto, there is no Wave Mission, the oncoming war, etc.

The big bad for Team Seven is Orochimaru. He and his underlings make beautiful villains. They're so far beyond our heroes that the kids don't stand a chance. Team Seven has only survived so long because Orochimaru doesn't want them dead and has been playing with them. Orochimaru is a properly terrifying opponent. Hermione's fought worse, but in Sakura's body she's outclassed. It gives her the opportunity to be a bit bad ass in her desperation.

The bad: Wizards and witches have a magical core. This is actually important to the story, so it gets a pass from me. Hermione has a mindscape. This one annoys me, but it's sort of important to the story too. The friendship between Team Seven can get a bit too touch-happy at times in the later chapters. There are a lot of shoulder bumps, touches, and nudges between the three members for reassurance. It makes me wonder whether they've ever heard of the term "personal space".

If you read both Naruto and HP fics, and aren't fixated on them being Harry or Naruto-centric, then this story is well worth your time. 4/5

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  2. sonny_yalin

sonny_yalin Third Year

I definitely love this story. I was skeptical when I first started reading it because HP/ Naruto crossovers don't usually turn out well, but this one is an obvious exception to that.

One reason that I think this works so well is because some of my favorite fanfiction characterizations of Hermione and Sakura are somewhat similar in tone and style, thus the image in my head of a Sakura/Hermione hybrid makes sense.

That being said, I do recognize some of the story's weaknesses such as the somewhat sappy team 7 scenes. Some of the other negatives you listed weren't really a problem for me since they work with the story. It's difficult to fuse HP and Naruto because of the differences between magic and chakra, as well as the differences in culture between Britain and a Japanese inspired Naruto universe. Most of the time, I find this fusion to be uncomfortable at best and absolutely unreadable at worst. So, one of the reasons I loved this story is that the author actually makes this fusion work.

Despite its weaknesses, there are a ton of aspects that this story knocks out of the park. So, for me, its 5/5.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    yak
  3. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Other than the poetry transcriptions, 4.5/5 for me. Crossovers rarely work but when they do it's a real treat.

4. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I like this story a lot. I've read a bunch of SI fics, DoS, Vapors, etc. but something along this lines I haven't seen done well. I like how Hermione's gotten involved in the Narutoverse, and especially how she brings unique skills to the team without being overpowered. I didn't like that it's apparently not canon Hermione, though. The method of her insertion, the lingering existence of Sakura, even the little things like her introducing her mother to pizza, all make for nice touches. 5/5

5. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, same, really like this story. The last two chapters were a bit meh but the story overall is handling its concept really well. Love Hermione and the relationship she has with her whole team. Especially the dynamic with Kakashi is really interesting.

4/5

6. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Why is your name not pink in this post but pink in others?

7. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Looks pink to me?

yak
  8. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

There's a lot of posts like that, pink people aren't always pink. But then they are. Spooky.

9. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Love this story.

Hermione makes a really good crossover protagonist, and her relationship with her team is fantastic. Given her experience and age, it makes sense that she's a bit mothering - but it's never too much. Unlike a lot of crossovers, she doesn't become too self-righteous or lecturing. The relationship within the team feels really genuine, with everyone being very much consistent with their canon selves, but with a different aspect of themselves explored.

I love the way Kakashi acts too. He is really suspicious over Hermione, and the way she acts. But he also really cares about her. Enough that he covers for his team and pretends that he taught them shit that he never did. He consciously tries to ignore the conclusion that she could actually be a spy.

One thing I liked is that the HP world isn't portrayed as so much worse or harder than the Naruto world. A scene that sticks out in my head is that moment where Hermione initially scoffs at seeing Ibiki's scars thinking "Pfft, I've had a lot worse", but then later in the chapter, Ibiki pulls of his bandana and Hermione is actually shocked.

Her being able to see ghosts was a really nice element from the HP world. It doesn't make her overpowered in combat, but gives her an ability only she can have. Not sure I like the power of her magic yet though - seems a bit too strong.

That being said, the last few chapters have lost my interest a bit. Still, a very strong 4/5.

10. Nicovi

Nicovi Fourth Year

All around a good fic.

It has its slow moments, but most of it is interesting.

Make no mistake, Hermione in this fic is quite a bit different from the one we know from the Potter books. Although it is being explained that living through a war does change her view on certain things a tad. However her core characteristics is still there, else this would be a pure naruto fic.

Ofc it feels A LOT more like a proper crossover once she actually starts being able to do magic, even if she has like 0.3% control over it.

One of the more enjoyable parts of the fic is Kakashi, the way he was written alone increased my vote by a solid point.

4/5

11. witch

witch Squib

High Score:
    I really enjoyed this story because of the good characterizations, the reasonable butterfly effect of a new character in an old role, and the lack of a super! anything (one of my biggest pet peeves with these sort of fanfics). Hopefully as this fic progresses, we'll see more cool and enlightening changes to canon.

12. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Pros -
    • Decently written.
    • Well done team dynamic.
    • Engaging.
    • Not afraid to deviate from canon.
    • The deviations make sense and are fun and refreshing.
    • Orochimaru and minions are Bad Guys done well.
      They actually have a significant impact on the story and the characters instead of being some 'obstacle' that needs to be defeated.​
    • Hermione doesn't know or guess everything.
      This is something I didn't appreciate until I saw it done here, because I suppose I honestly haven't seen many stories where the main character doesn't figure out Naruto's the host of the kyuubi, or the reasons behind major plot points without being told. Hermione doesn't somehow manage to uncover everyone's secrets, in this story. It's refreshing.​

Cons -
    • Hermione is not strictly canon.
    • I don't think I really truly like her as a character.
      I can't pin down why - perhaps it's the coldness, and the pragmatism. But I don't dislike her. It may actually be intentional, as she is struggling with her own issues. Her character is evolving over time and has its own obstacles to overcome, which is good to see in any story.​
    • Team 7 is perhaps a little too nonchalant with killing, and death.
      They started out with noting the 'first death' and 'first kill' like many other fics, but after that there's never really been a mental pause from them killing people. This is just a minor point, of course.​

This is a solid story.
    4/5

13. dhulli

dhulli The Reborn

All around great story telling.

The one bad thing is that the author really doesn't do fights well. Especially the supposedly grand ones (few of them that there have been). And for a Naruto fic, that's a big con.

I've read some terrible fics with way better fight scenes. So 4/5 .

14. Photon

Photon Order Member

15. yak

What? I... don't know. That isn't... I. Hrmm.

Effloresco Secundus is 99% Naruto and 1% Harry Potter. I think that you're expected to have a broad grounding in early Naruto to comprehend the significance of some of the interactions. That said, the main draws of this fic are Hermione's development of her magic and the friendship between the members of Team Seven. I don't think that there's anything stopping you from enjoying that.

Give it a read and tell us.

I think that you misread the note. The fic Teacher is on hold.

Effloresco Secundus had an update in September and the next chapter is due this month some time. The author is busy IRL though, so don't put too much weight on that schedule.

16. dhulli

dhulli The Reborn

Nope, you need to watch some of the anime and then there are plenty of other good Naruto fics that immerse you in the fandom. And then you can come back and read this.

17. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Given that this is predominately Naruto fic, wouldn't it be better in the Other Fandoms section of the forum? You can get away without knowing much about HP, but probably need to be more familiar with Naruto.

18. yak

I considered it when I posted it, but the main character is from HP.

Also, that's more or less up to Minion - he runs the Library and keeps everything properly categorised and ticking along. I haven't noticed exceptions to the HP-crossovers-go-in-The-Alternates-subforum rule, and I'm not gonna mess with his system so easily.

Minion seems nice, but only because there are no surviving witnesses to the exceptions. :(