1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Elder Scrolls Fics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by DrSarcasm, Jul 20, 2020.

1. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

I've been on an Elder Scrolls kick for the last while. I've always been a big fan of Morrowind and I enjoy Skyrim, so I'm looking for some relevant fanfics.

What I really want is stories that expand on the lore instead of treating the games as, well, video games. Stories written by people that understand the deeper meanings and themes of the genre, not just thinking that Skyrim is a generic fantasy world.

Obviously Dragon From Ash takes the top of the list for this. Lamora's The Legend Yet Grew had the beginnings of this, but sadly it seems to have been abandoned.

Unfortunately there's not much else to go off of. Searching on FFN results in the top results being things like Dragonrend and The Whitest Man in Skyrim, both of which ignore large aspects of the lore, or wish fulfillment fics. The same problem shows up on Ao3, but with that site just being a bunch of slash and romance fics.

Anyone have any good recommendations? I'm mostly searching for hero-focused fics dealing with the Nerevarine, Hero of Kvatch, or Last Dragonborn.

2. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Have you read M.L.'s excellent Star Made Knight? It's top tier Elder Scrolls fanfic to be honest, I'm linking WbA so leave feedback when you finish it, as I'm sure it would spur him to ever loftier heights.

3. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'll second the rec for Star-Made Knight. As good as Dragon From Ash but without the dishonourable elf-apologism.

4. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

I'll third the rec for Star Made Knight. As good or better then Dragon From Ash, but with a protagonist that I actually want to be reading about in an Elder Scrolls fic. I'll also say that having hunted quite extensively for decent Elder Scrolls FF, the well is rather dry. There's this old thread with some decent recs in it, but nothing as good as Dragon From Ash or Star Made Knight, in my opinion.

https://forums.darklordpotter.net/threads/elder-scrolls.23095/

5. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

How about crossovers? Mind you these are what I would say are good stories, not super lore heavy ones like Dragon of Ash as you requested.

It isn't the same level of quality as Dragon of Ash, but Zero Summing is worth a read, or at least the first 11 chapters are. It's a Familiar of Zero crossover that was extremely promising until the author decided they didn't want to write Skyrim anymore and timeskipped to the MC being sent back home after all of her dragonborn adventures. Still worth reading even if you don't go further.

Not sure if Harry or Luna is the Dragonborn yet, but The Lion, the Witch and the Vanishing Cabinet is a very good HP crossover and worth a read. Library thread here.

There are a couple other crossovers I've read, but they are more or less time wasters that use Skyrim to create a generic high fantasy OC, and insert them into another world.