1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Elementary

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

More than a few of you probably heard about it, but for these that didn't it's a modern take on Sherlock Holmes stories. Yes, like BBC one, but this is gonna be in NY setting.

They have Jonny Lee Miller as Sherlock, who curiously enough played recently in stage version of Frankenstein story where he was alternating roles of the doctor and the monster between performances with no other but Benedict Cumberbatch (BBC Sherlock).

As you can easily guess, everyone is expecting it to be a clone of the British version. Even BBC is preparing themselves to sue CBS if it looks too similar, though I'd like to see that case in the court.

Still, it seems that producers of Elementary decided that they need at least one big change to show that no they're not coping BBC. And this change is who plays Doctor Watson. Female Doctor Watson.

Is it dream come true for all of the fans of Holmes/Watson romance who didn't want them to be gay? Are there even people who dreamed about that? (Who am I kidding? Of course these people exist somewhere in the dark corners of the Internet. And the day of the premiere will be when for the first time they will be able to show their faces without being mocked up by the others. ;))

2. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I don't know what to think about this. While female!Watson certainly has potential, it's being said around tumblr that Watson's military background is going to be taken out of her backstory. I don't have a link to back it up right now, but if it's true, I'm definietly not okay with that.

You know, now that I think about it, I would have liked to seen Holmes gender-flipped too. That would have been awesome.

3. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A complete gender switch would be pretty cool, it's modern, so it's perfectly workable. Sadly, since it's just Watson we'll just see shitty romance. Also agreed as far as disapproval if they pull John (Joan) Watson's military history.

4. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't mind the gender switch as much as I mind the actress they chose. :/

5. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

Seems like a shitty attempt to cash in on the success of the BBC version, substituting romance for sophistication. I'll probably give it a whirl anyway, just to see if it defies my expectations.

6. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Wait.

Wait wait wait.

I know I said female!Watson could be cool (well implied it by thumbsing Vira's post), but...

FUCKING LUCY LIU!?

FUCK YOU AMERICA. FUCK YOU TO GREASY, MCDONALD'S-RIDDEN HELL.

Give me back my hopes and dreams. ;-;

7. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, no. If I want Holmes, I'll watch the RDJ movies. Or House, which is close enough. I'll give the BBC one a try if I ever see it on TV over here.

8. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

This is just gonna be full of fail. This is one more in the annoying trend of American companies taking successful British shows and ruining them.

9. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

... What sort of closet homosexual are you that you ever thought that was a good idea to post on DLP? :|

10. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    QFT. This is a failure waiting to happen.

11. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

I honestly don't mind Lucy Liu that much. She's a bit untested in good drama for me, but let's face it, this is network tv, there's no good drama to find.

This will be another shitty quirky, consultant cop show, complete with unresolved sexual tension used to string fans along for a few seasons, and silly episodic plots. You heard it here first :sherlock:.

This could theoretically be good, if they limited the episodes like the BBC one and did them right, but I can't see that happening.

Me? I'll probably watch the pilot, but when it goes the way I think it will, I'm out.

12. Celestin

Some thought about Elementary by Moffat. One quote seems interesting:

Well, while I can understand why he is annoyed, I can't really agree with him on this. I mean it's not like he created Holmes brand. More, he can't even say he was the one to bring it back to the mainstream media in this millennium since Ritchie's Holmes was first. He is just "stealing" it for his own purposes and now he complains that someone else is doing the same.

13. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    No, but he did (co-) create the current and still running modern update of the show; I was dubious about the BBC version before I saw it, so I can easily imagine other sceptics who maybe haven't seen it watching Elementary, thinking it's rubbish, and then swearing off Sherlock.

On the other hand, I suspect most people who would be interested in Elementary have either seen Sherlock already, or wouldn't watch it for some other reason, so he probably hasn't got quite as much to worry about as he thinks.

14. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    CBS has released the synopsis and boy does it sound exciting! /sarcasm.
    I was going to watch Elementary just to see how they did it, but this sounds so boring and yawn-enducing, I’m going to skip it. :/

If excellent reviews come in maybe I'll give it a chance, but until then, I'm sticking with Sherlock and the American movies.

15. Celestin

And what exactly did you expect from the synopsis of the setup? I'm pretty sure that BBC Sherlock would sound as boring if written that way.

That's said, shame they probably changed Watson's past in the army just it's a female now. Also, Sherlock's father? That's actually may have a potential if done right.

Ultimately, I hope it will be at least decent, because it would be nice to have another good Holmes show to watch. But then I remember how BBC version looked in 40 minutes format (it's also a perfect example that money really can drastically change a quality of the show even if actors stay the same) and I doubt US can do much better.

EDIT: Oh, look there is a trailer now. And it's, well, let's just say that Moffat doesn't need to worry about any similarities between this and his version. Or any other version.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  16. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If they wanted to switch a gender, why pick the sidekick? Seems it would be a lot more daring and innovative to have a female lead.

17. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Exactly. This is bullshit because it could have been innovative.

Instead we have CSI: Sherlock, as far as I can tell.

Quite happily be proven wrong, but from what I've seen...

THIS IS WHY I WRITE FANFICTION OF THINGS, PEOPLE!

18. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

WTF is with Sherlocks scarf? Ahh I get it, the innovative part is that they change Watson to female and at the same time put your mind to rest on Sherlocks sexuality.

Just from this I can tell that their portrayal of just a British person in general is going to make my toes curl in embarrassment, let alone Sherlock. Cue british jokes, snide Watson/Sherlock comments on british/american culture, overdone accent and 'bugger' and 'bloody' and 'chaps' being used allot.

Oh, and who wants to bet that his 'rich' father is either titled or somehing to do with the aristocracy?

Ok Ok maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but that trailer made my opinoin drop from 'ehh I'll watch a few, could be a guilty pleasure' to 'nonononono NO way in hell this is going to be even watchable'

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  19. draconian139

draconian139 DA Member

If you're trying to find it on TV ts been airing on PBS, last episode for season 2 will air Sunday(May 20th) at 9PM EST. If you don't like dealing with torrents or most streaming sites but have Netflix both seasons are available through snail mail and season 1 is available streaming.

20. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

At first I was like "Oh joy, another Sherlock thing."

And then I was like "Hmm...Lucy Liu. Maybe it won't suck so bad."

But then I was like "Who the fuck am I kidding? This'll suck major jock straps."

Nae