1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Entry #1

Discussion in 'Q2 2019' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, Jun 14, 2019.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

On the far horizon, beyond her line of sight, the sun slowly sunk into the sea coloring the whole sky crimson and tangerine. The whisper of the ocean and the wind blew softly into her ear and the seagulls wailed along with this melody off-tune. From her vantage point, she could see the sea-castle and hear the call to prayer bellowed loudly from the top of a nearby mosque. Consequently, as it was nearly the end of the day, the men in harbour talked and laughed loudly, leaving their ships to float lonesomely along the coast line.

Below her, in the streets, the smells from the numerous bakeries that lined the bazar came out from chimneys, filling her senses with a sickly sweetness. The blaring chatter from the women browsing the stands echoed upwards, falling deaf on her ears for she could not understand them. Along with it came the sounds of children playing joyfully, in addition to the occasional lecture from irritated shopkeepers.

All of the sensations were too much in order for her to concentrate. Nor could she imagine any other British wizard or witch that would respond comfortably to being surrounded by so many Muggles. Unfortunately, her teacher seemed to have noticed her scattered focus.

A scowl appeared on his bearded face, and he sighed irritatedly. He rubbed his face with disappointment.

‘Miss Greengrass!’ His voice bellowed.

‘Sorry Professor. Please forgive me, I find it hard to fixate my mind when I there are a lot of Muggles around.’

If his expression were any indication, she had given him the wrong answer. Being that the crease between his eyebrows had formed, she had contributed to further souring his mood.

‘Preposterous. It’s just me and you on this rooftop, the Muggles are down the street. How do you intend to ‘fixate your mind’ when you are in an emergency and must defend yourself?’

Because Daphne had no answer to his question, she chose to remain silent and hung her head in shame. Additionally, she fought back the tears that threatened to come and would surely disgrace her further.

Consequently, her instructor seemed torn between yelling at her again and apologizing. He chose to do neither.

With a tone of finality and chagrin he closed the session. ‘It is late, the session is at its end. I expect you to practise by yourself and show some improvement tomorrow.’

‘Of course professor!’ Daphne said in a shrill voice. ‘I will do better.’

‘Very well..’ He cast his gaze upon the city skyline, as its vibrant colors announced the end of the diurnal rotation. The call to prayer had finally finished, and the city began to quiet down as its people returned to their homes. For a moment, no words were shared between them as he was deep in thought and she was silently thankful the lesson had finished.

‘Miss Greengrass, are you afraid of Muggles?’ He inquired.

‘No!’ She exclaimed, earning a raised eyebrow. ‘Pardon me, no professor, I am not. They merely make me feel irritated.’

‘I see. If they disrupt your focus as such, it should be remedied.’ A small shrewd grin that appeared on his face filled Daphne with a deep uneasiness. ‘Today, rather than apparating, we will walk back to the academy through the souk. I believe this would serve to confront your trouble.’

Leaving absolutely no room for argument, he turned his heel and dashed down the stairs. Daphne hurried after him and wondered once again how she’d let her father convince her into traveling there.

‘It is time you broaden your perspective. Dumbledore has let the standard for defensive magic sink to an abboniable level during your time at Hogwarts.’

Before they chanced the streets, he looked back at her and saw the sheer look of terror in her eyes. He stopped abruptly. ‘Would you like to hold my hand?’ He said mockingly.

Furious at being reduced to a child, and embarrassed for feeling like one, she answered in a small voice. ‘Yes..’

‘As you wish.’ He held out his hand and she took it with apprehension.

‘But father, I’d miss out on the season in London! If I miss it now, I won’t be able to debut for another year.’

Conversely to what she had expected, the magical pure-blood elite in Lebanon weren’t as disgusted with Muggles as their British counterparts. The professor knew the Muggle labyrinth named the souk like the back of his own hand, she was sure. They walked through a barely lit cavern populated mostly by stray cats and bags of trash towards a more populous street that shone like a bright colorful lantern at the end of a dark tunnel.

‘Knowing how to defend yourself is more important than wearing frilly dresses and drinking overpriced elf wine!’

The nearer they came to the avenue, the harder it became for Daphne not to start shaking. Taking Daphne by surprise, a Muggle on an electric motorcycle sped past them. It took a lot of her willpower not to pull out her wand and curse him.

‘However will I ever find a good match if all other girls my age debut before I do?’

Suddenly, her professor stopped, almost causing her to slam into him. As a way of reassuring her, he put both his hands on her shoulders and looked her in the eye.

‘Now is not the time to worry about marriage! This country is on the brink of war.’

‘Miss Greengrass, Muggles are not intimidating. They are dull and harmless. Take a deep breath.’

She did as he bid her. Although she thought nothing could help her through the humiliation of being forced to walk through a Muggle city, his consoling words and the deep amber of his eyes made it somewhat more bearable.

Prior to entering the market, he held out his hand once more and she took it gratefully.

‘Mother says I must always think of marriage. What will she say when she hears of your plans?’

Much like she expected, the Muggles in their shops ignored them as his notice-me-not charm took effect. A busily talking group of women wearing silk-embroidered headscarves nearly ran into them, the professor narrowly avoiding them.

‘I will handle your mother. You just have to focus on your studies.’

Mistakenly, she looked up from the cobbles of the street for the briefest of moments to see an animal carcass gruelly dangling from a rusty iron hook.

‘What is Merlin's name is that?!’ She shrieked with audible disgust.

With a visible lack of interest, the professor turned his head to look in her direction.

‘A butcher. It’s where Muggle’s buy the meat they consume.’

‘Revolting.’

Hardly ten minutes had passed, and she started to recognize the street the academy was on. Knowing that it had been such a short walk, she felt embarrassed for having made such a fuss about it. Ignoring the sign that requests visitors ring the bell, the professor walked through the gate and right up the staircase. Rather than using his staff, he tapped his hand on the door.

In response, it changed shape, size and color, and swung open of its own accord.

‘We have arrived. I trust you can see yourself to your own quarters without needing any hand-holding.’ He snickered at his own joke and Daphne felt her blood boil. Noticing her reaction, he stopped laughing and regarded her seriously once more. ‘I trust you to understand this perplexing fear of yours is a weakness you need to work on.’

Feeling thoroughly chastised, Daphne answered him. ‘Yes Professor.’

‘Good. See to it that you do. Perhaps a homework assignment would be appropriate.. Walk from the academy to the beach and back every single day, without using magic.’

In response, Daphne sucked in a breath loudly, shocked that he would ask such a thing of her.

‘If this idea strikes such anxiety into you, feel free to ask another student to accompany you. I’m certain our male students would be delighted to hold your hand the entire way.’ He disappeared into the academy entrance laughing loudly and Daphne felt as angry as a blast-ended skrewt.

Even though this sort of behavior would surely have warranted a letter to her father at Hogwarts, she had no doubt in her mind it would only earn her more ridicule from her professor. Both her and her mother had been surprised at his sudden bout of pragmatism putting her education before her chance at marriage.

Exasperated, she dragged herself to her dorm as gracefully as she could manage. Luckily, at Debbane, she only had to share her room with one other person. Dumbledore’s absurd policies had prevented her from enjoying the full luxury of being a pure-blood heiress at Hogwarts. The headmistress of Debbane, however, was glad to take her fathers money and give Daphne privileges and benefits over other students. For this reason, Professor Muhaffiz gave her private lessons.

Several hours later, when Daphne was well into her beauty sleep, her roommate Hanan stumbled into the dorm, clumsy as a bear.

‘Kss!’

‘Pardon me?’ Daphne rubbed her eyes tiredly.

‘Sorry! I thought your were asleep.’

‘I was until you came barging in.’

Hanan streched and plopped down on her bed, staring at the ceiling. No sound was heard, apart from the barking of a dog in the distance.

‘It’s okay, I’m not upset.’ Daphne said bashfully. ‘My lesson was very tiresome today.’

Clearly lacking the energy to get up, Hanan rolled over in Daphne’s direction. ‘How so?’

‘Muhaffiz made walk through the souk to get back to the academy today. I was scared, so he held my hand the entire way and made fun of me for it afterwards.’

A cackling laugh came from Hanan.

‘Not you too!’

Fumbling, Hanan got up and sat down next to Daphne’s bed. ‘Silly English girl. Do you know how many female students here would kill, and I mean kill, to hold Muhaffiz’ hand?’

Briefly, Hanan rested her head against the edge of Daphne’s bed and seemed to drift off into a daydream.

‘He’s so handsome, and rich too. Even if he asked be to be his fiftieth wife I wouldn’t turn him down..’ She made a kissy face and Daphne grimaced in disgust.

‘Hanan, please. Have some more respect for yourself.’

Gravely offended she huffed. ‘Easy for you to say. I bet you have a hundred suitors back in Britain. A girl like me has to fight for scraps.’

Determining not to be messed with again, Daphne sat up and looked at her. ‘That’s not true at all! Because I’m missing the season all the good ones will be gone when I get back!’ Remembering this tragedy, Daphne put her face in her hands. ‘Once I debut next year, it’ll just be the old and ugly ones left..’

Tears came in earnest and Daphne felt incredibly humiliated for the second time that day. The harder she tried to stop crying, the more volumunous the tears leaked out.

Obviously feeling guilty, Hanan sat down next to her and rubbed her back. ‘There there, don’t cry, it’ll be alright..’

The atmosphere became increasingly awkward as Daphne couldn’t stop crying and Hanan consoled her half-heartedly.

‘You know what, I think the French Magical Ambassy is hosting a ball on Sunday. I’m sure you could get us iniviations, right? Maybe you can meet your suitor there.’

This roused Daphne to raise her tearstreaked face out of her hands. It would be nice to be back in an environment that she felt confident in and was familiar with. Or, at the very least, where other witches were just as repulsed by Muggles as she was. Who would surely agree with her how wrong it was for a lady of her statue to be forced to mingle with them and be exposed to their filth.

‘But... How would we get there? Debbane doesn’t allow its students to use the floo.’

‘We take a bus.’

Miserable, Daphne pressed her face into her pillow.

‘Daphne, come on. Do you want to go this ball or not? I’ll be with you in the bus, I’ll promise you it’s not as terrible as you think.’

Frustrated, Daphne debated whether this sacrifice was worth it, but she so longed to attend those parties again.

‘Okay, fine. I’ll write my father to get us invitations.’

With a smile like a siren, Hanan got up and twirled in the middle of the room. Daphne snickered and joined her. They waltzed together like school children and laughed.

‘You better watch out Greengrass, I’ll make every Englishman fall for me.’

A haughty laugh escaped from Daphne. ‘I doubt you could put up with English boys for very long.’

When she went to sleep that night, she felt much better, knowing she would soon be among her own again. However, before she could surrender herself to sleep, she heard her fathers words echo in her mind.

‘This country is on the brink of war!’ He snarled again, effectively scaring her into silence.

The dim light in his study accentuated the deep creases in his forehead, and the grey hairs around his crown that she hadn’t noticed before. Curiously, she wondered how long they had been there, and what else she had missed while she had been away at Hogwarts.

Common sense dictated she accept his verdict and not argue with him further, nevertheless, she felt robbed and betrayed. She had been trained for her debut her whole life, and now he was suddenly telling her it was no longer important.

‘What does that have to do with us?’ She muttered.

Furious at her for her backchat, he looked at her through narrowed eyelids.

‘What did you say?’ He said in a threatening tone.

‘What does the war have to do with us?! We’re purebloods!’

With a loud thump he slammed his hands on his desk. ‘Get out of my sight! You’re going away and that’s final.’

For the hundredth time, she replayed the scene in her head. As far as motives went, she was clueless to her fathers’. Initially, she’d thought they all were in trouble, however, in that case it didn’t make sense that he’d only sent her away.

Additionally, no pureblood father with a healthy functional brain would send away his eldest daughter during her first year as a debutante. It was social suicide.

And the cherry on top of the terrible pie was that he’d sent her away so far. With Paris, Milan, Barcelona or even Athens she’d have voiced no objections. In Saida, Lebanon, she knew nobody, so she was nobody. It was truly a detestable fate.

Mulling over the unfairness of it all, she slowly drifted off to sleep.

Sunday morning, she woke up with a pit of apprehension in her stomach when she saw the Muggle-garb Hanan had layed out for them.

She slid out of bed and examined the strange apparel Muggles considered clothing. Already awake, Hanan entered the dorm and saw Daphne’s look of dread.

‘Look, we can’t go into a Muggle bus in robes.’

Daphne let out a dramatic sigh. ‘I suppose it must be done.’ She swallowed and touched the fabric with trepidation, and wore the expression of a martyr.

Roughly twenty minutes later, they descended the steps of the stairwell of the academy that lead toward the street. Without saying a word, Hanan grabbed Daphne’s arm and they walked in the direction of the coastline. All the shops, sounds and impression passed in a flash. A small Muggle boy spoke to them and followed them for a while. It made Daphne slightly nervous, nevertheless, after Hanan spoke a few words to him in Arabic he ran off.

‘You’re quite the attraction. People are curious.’ Hanan said with a smile.

‘Too bad we can’t use a notice-me-not charm..’

‘It’s not so awful. We’ll walk past the coastline, it’s much quieter.’

When they reached the end of the souk, Daphne was thankful to see Hanan was right. On road in front of them, cars, busses, and what appeared to be a crossover sped by every now and again with bright color and noise. Situated on the pavement were a row of restaurants and other establishments, that had terraces covered by see-through plastic tents. In the far distance the harbour was separated from the beach by the sea castle.

The moment Hanan let go of her arm, Daphne took a breath to steady herself.

‘From here it’ll be fifteen minutes to the busstation.’

They walked in a companionable silence. Every now and again, Daphne’s attention was caught by some of the excentries on display in the many shops and stands.

Dryly Hanan had remarked that it was all crap for the tourists – whatever that meant. The Muggles in the city were an industries lot. At surface level, their interests all seemed rather pedestrian to Daphne. Nevertheless, she remembered that they had to toil and suffer more because of their lack of magic. Although she supposed they did not know they were lacking it, which was an interesting line of thought to follow.

At long last, they arrived at the busstation. Hanan took hold of Daphne’s arm again, a little more gently this time, and led her to a small bus that would fit about twelve people in Daphne’s estimation. Not many words were wasted with the chauffeur, and soon they were seated in the back of the bus.

‘So what now?’ Daphne inquired.

‘Now we wait until the bus fills up and leaves.’

‘That doesn’t seem practical.’ Daphne deducted. ‘Is all Muggle transport like this?’

‘I’m not sure.. Not in Lebanon in any case. I suppose you wouldn’t know about Britain.’

Begrudingly, she admitted to herself that she really didn’t know. Regardless of the fact that she had no desire whatoever to ever ride any Muggle transportation in Britian, she still felt a tiny bit ashamed that she didn’t know such basic information about her own culture.

It was quite surprising how fast the bus was packed with Muggles. The estimation that Daphne had made about the amount of people that fit in the bus had not been incorrect, nevertheless, she had not accounted for the fact that the chauffeur would put as many people as possible into it.

When the last person had been stuffed into the front row, the chauffeur climbed into the drivers seat and turned on the engine. As magical transportation was mostly silent, Daphne found the bus to be very noisy. The bus took to the road, and in spite of Daphne’s hate for anything she considered to be below her standing, the sensation was not all together unpleasant.

Guiltily, Daphne marveled at the coastline as the bus sped over a long winding road.

‘After we arrive in Beirut, we’ll catch a taxi to the centre and go to the entrance of Laodicea.’ Hanan whispered in her ear.

‘Good. What’s a taxi?’ She asked.

‘It’s like a bus, but smaller, and there are no other people in it.’

‘Sounds much better than this.’ Daphne sighed, feeling relieved.

The view outside made the trip alltogether much more manageable. A little voice in the back of Daphne’s head said it wasn’t a bad experience to have. In like manner, it was nice to be reminded of the fact that the ways of wizarding kind was far superior to what Muggles had managed to cook up. Perhaps, years ahead in the future, when she was married with children of her own, she could tell this story as a fun little anecdote at soirées.

Before she realized it, they had arrived at a Beirut busstation, a wild cacaphony of motor vehicles, vendors and chauffeurs yelling place names. Momentarily, Daphne was stunned by all the activity going on around her.

Hanan yanked her out of the bus and paid the chauffeur. ‘Come on, we have to go stop a taxi.’

The busstation was surrounded by several buildings that were all as tall as Hogwarts. Above the station ran some sort of bridge, which Daphne guessed was also for cars. Numerous stores were housed in the ground floor of these tall buildings. The majority of these appeared to be cafés, patronized by groups of men drinking coffee. All kinds of Muggles passed by, walking hurriedly on the pavement.

During the brief time that she had spent in Lebanon, she had considered the souk of Saida busy. Often she was awoken by its noises and she found it distracting during training. Daphne now realized that she had seen nothing yet. The crossing at which they currently stood contained more people on a quiet Sunday than the souk saw the entire week.

‘Daphne? Hello? Are you still in there? I said we have to go stop a taxi.’

‘Right, lead the way.’ As Hanan lead them onwards, Daphne clutched her arm tightly.

After exchanging a few words with a chauffeur, Daphne was ushered into a car that was much nicer than the bus they had been in previously. The chauffeur, however, seemed to have a lot less regard for other traffic and drove to their destination very fast.

The entire city consisted of buildings the same height, or three times as tall as Hogwarts. There were people on every street, going about their daily business or taking leisure time. On the way to their stop they passed stores with all varieties of goods. Many of which Daphne had no idea what they were, or what purpose they served. In the souk Daphne had hardly ever seen a woman without a veil, but in Beirut women wore many styles of dress.

Once they had passed underneath a bridge meant for cars, they exited the vehicle.

‘We’ll go the rest of the way on foot, just to be sure.’

It appeared they had arrived to the city centre. Curiously, this part of the town had no tall buildings. Instead french terraced houses stood statesquely on cobbeled streets. At a particular building, Hanan tapped the wood of a window frame, much like Muhaffiz had done at the academy. A miniscule door appeared suspended in the middle of the window.

Hanan grabbed Daphne’s hand and pulled her own arm into the small door. Suddenly, they were sucked in and booted out in a near identical street occupied by witches and wizards.

‘Welcome to Laodicea!’ Hanan said and smiled proudly.

Where as the same street in the Muggle Beirut had been very quiet, the street in Laodicea was busy and scenic. The sand colored French terraced houses encompassed various emporiums that sold all kinds of wizarding goods. Between the rows of houses were large ottoman style villa’s in delicate colors with lots of glass. All the streets came out into a large square where several ministry buildings and embassies were located. The largest building, which no doubt belonged to the Lebanese Ministry of Magic, seemed to consist of mix-matched elements Daphne had seen in mosques and churches.

It struck Daphne how much larger it was than Diagon Alley. This town was perhaps the largest wizarding-only community she had ever seen. The arguments that had been held in Slytherin house between the children of Voldemorts supporters and his opposers had always been about the costs of war. Those who claimed the spilling of any magical blood was to great a price for pureblood supremacy were always accused of being cowards. Seeing a magical community unmarred by conflict was grating to see, and it made her understand the arguments of peers that she had ridiculed.

She breathed in the air and felt her hair stand on end. ‘It’s stunning.’

‘We have a few more hours until the ball starts, so I suggest we should get changed and go shopping!’

The rest of the afternoon passed in a flash. Spending pounds on luxurious robes and cosmetics was an activity that Daphne was initmately familiar with. She’d shared many afternoons in Diagon Alley and Place Cachée with her friends splurging on items that surely would earn her a scolding or two from her father later.

As dusk approached, Daphne and Hanan powdered their noses and sewed themselves into their festive robes in a café bathroom. If her mother were to see her, Daphne mused, she surely would have been deeply ashamed of her daughter. Only paupers dressed themselves, her mother had always told her.

At the French Embassy entrance, a guard greeted them and opened the gate doors. The embassy itself was a multi-story villa with a large veranda and several balconies, surrounded by greenery. Before they entered, a footman announced them.

‘Miss Greengrass of England and Miss Al-Amin of Egypt!’

‘I could get used to this.’ Daphne whispered in Hanan’s ear.

‘I see no reason for us not to do this every weekend.’ Hanan whispered back with a crooked grin.

By the same token, attending a forgein ball was both exhilerating and frightening. In England, she knew the name and face of every guest attending any given party in London. The notion of being forced to socialize was challenging yet exciting.

Quickly she scanned the room, and spotted two of her fathers associates and their sons. She poked Hanan in the ribs. ‘I know those men, come on.’

When they walked through the ballroom, the man she’d wanted to talk to her stopped them of his own accord and greeted them.

‘Miss Greengrass, how do you do?’ Respectfully, she curtsied.

‘Mister Jäger, sir. A pleasure to see you again. This is Miss Hanan Al-Amin, a friend of mine.’

‘Miss Al-Amin, pleased to make your aquintance. These are my sons, Hans and Lukas.’

Both men bowed respectfully. Daphne smiled inwardly. The interaction was going swimmingly.

A buldering laugh came from the oldest Jäger. ‘Forgive my sons for being shy in the company of two beautiful girls.’ As the man slapped his sons on the back, the orchestra started playing the first waltz. ‘How about a dance with the ladies?’

Hans took her outstreched hand and off they went.

‘You must excuse my father.’ He whispered in her ear while she twirled and spun back.

‘Of course.’ She smiled benevolently. If she closed her eyes, she could almost imagine herself back in London dancing with Theodore Nott.

While the waltz came to a close, she bowed and winked at Hans. ‘Thank you.’

‘Perhaps we can also dance this next suite?’ He asked hopefully.

In response, she curstied again. ‘I’d be honored to.’

The evening could not have been more perfect if she’d planned it herself. Spinning around the ballroom of the Embassy, she was on cloud nine.

‘Miss Greengrass! What a surprise.’ The moment she heard his voice, she sunk back to earth and cursed her luck.

‘Professor.. How do you do?’ She seperated herself from Hans unwillingly to shake his hand.

‘Quite well, thank you. Sir, do you mind if I have a short conversation with my student?’

Even though his expression read no, he excused himself. Daphne was dissapointed by his lack of spine. Without exchaning any words, he grabbed her by her elbow and dragged her out onto the balcony.

In spite of herself, she snatched her arm away from him with anger. ‘Pardon me?! What have I done to warrant such treatment?’

Idignantly, Professor Muhaffiz huffed. ‘You have some nerve speaking to me like that after breaking school rules!’

Daphne was taken aback. ‘What school rules do you presume I’ve broken?’

‘Students are not allowed to use the floo! Which office did you break into?’

With a proud smile, Daphne calmly contradicted him. ‘I have done no such thing. I took a Muggle bus to get here.’

The professor shot her a snide, sarcastic look. ‘Miss Greengrass, lying is not your forte. Nevertheless, I will be lenient and allow you to attend the rest of the ball. However, rest assured, there will be consequences.’

Angryly, Daphne tapped her foot. ‘I’m not lying! I came here with Hanan. If we go inside, I will ask her, and she will confirm my story.’

‘Well, making others lie for you is very unbecoming.’

‘I’m telling you I’m not!’

‘We will settle the matter later. But believe me, the ramifications will be severe.’

Daphne felt incredibly frustrated as they went back into the ballroom together. Although there was no doubt in her mind he would see the truth in the end, it saddend her that he had such a low impression of her. Even so, she had not shown her absolute best during her lessons, so she understood his point of view.

Once they entered the ballroom again, Hanan immediately hurried towards them and spoke to Daphne in a low voice. Her expression indicated panic.

‘There are supicious men asking after you. We should go as soon as possible.’

‘Miss Al-Amin, there is nothing to be afraid of.’ The professor replied cooly. ‘No person of ill repute would be allowed inside the Embassy.’

Regardless of the professors’ words, Daphne scanned the room to look for the men Hanan was afraid of. Headed in their direction were a group of four men wearing auror robes. It puzzeled Daphne. Why would British aurors come all this way to question her of all people?

Before she had the opportunity to ask the professor if he could apparate them out of the room, one of the burly looking men stood in front of them.

‘Daphne Greengrass, you are under arrest for conspiring against the ministry.’

In reply, her eyes nearly popped out of her skull. In the fraction of a second the whole company had their wands drawn.

‘I’ve done no such thing!’ The biggest of the bunch leveled his wand at her face. The professor moved in front of her.

‘Take it up with the ministry. She’s coming with us.’

It all happened in the blink of an eye. Daphne stunned the one that had his wand pointed at her, yet his cronies were slow to respond. Hanan stunned another one, and the professor bound the third one in ropes. At the back of the room, guards employed by the Embassy had taken notice and were shoving people out of the way to make their way towards them.

The professor grabbed both of them and apparated away. Unable to make a stable landing, she fell forward and realized they were on the beach. Muddish sand stained her dress and her tears mixed with the crashing sea. In desperation she cried out. No other people were around, and her sobs became nothing as the darkness of the night swallowed them. The moonlight illuminated the sea and the stars hung unblinkingly.

With a sigh, Hanan dropped down next to her and pulled her into a hug.

Behind her, the professor muttered several incantations. A large umbrella of spellwork surrounded them and he put his hand on her shoulder.

After all her wondering she finally had her answer. Her father had sent her away to protect her. Without regard for his own safety or his own interest. Or even the families’ interest.

For the first time in her entire life, her future was uncertain.

2. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This feels unfinished, might be the best way to put it.

Like, you spend paragraph after paragraph establishing Daphne as a snotty bint, right? She cares about clothes, about balls, about debuting; she doesn't like muggles to the point of not knowing anything about them, so much so that it becomes slightly absurd, she doesn't really care about politics or Voldemort or whatever. It's clear that she's vapid and self-centred.

You have an excellent opportunity to show her growing past that. She has to take muggle transport, setting her up to use it in some sort of finale to show her having grown beyond who she was. Same with the other things she learns about muggles, though I confess I don't quite know how you could've made a butcher's shop part of it.

And then instead of that climax, or an attempt at it, the story just... ends. She's arrested by the ministry - why? Shouldn't Voldemort have been in control of the Ministry at this point? In any case, she's got no opportunity to showcase her growth, it just kinda leaves her as she was but without a future.

I also think your wording in several places is too fancy - diurnal rotation is probably the best example.

I'd rate this about a 2/5.

3. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Summary:

On the whole, this is pretty bad, which is a shame, because I think you've got some interesting concepts in here, they're just buried super deep under a bunch of chaff. A short story (imo, obviously), needs to do one of two things: portray an exciting or poignant event or series of events, or they show a dramatic change to the protagonist's character. Your piece doesn't do either. There are a serious of honestly pretty boring scenes (student stands on rooftop, student uses a bus) and very little in the way of drama or character development for the protagonist.

In fact, about the only thing of note that occurs is that she realises that her father didn't send her away for no reason, or out of spite. However, this epiphany that rings hollow, given that there's no real reason that her father couldn't have told her why he was sending her away. In fact, by not doing so, he opened up the possibility that she'd walk blindly into an embassy and get arrested.

Developmental

As stated before, as a rule of thumb, I think a short story needs to do one of two things to succeed. There are definitely some outliers, but in general, I think one should focus on either plot, or character. Given that the story you have here is fundamentally not interesting enough to carry the piece by itself, you should gravitate towards the latter.

There are a number of ways you might give Daphne an interesting character arc in this story, but here are two that immediately leap to mind:

1) Increase her fear of muggles to the level of a phobia. Show this. Even with her professor's hand, she can't bring herself to walk into the bazaar and he has to apparate her out. Have another scene where she and her friend discuss this problem, and where it began. (Protip: have a realistic and interesting origin story). Then have a scene where she and her father discuss why he's sending her away (blah blah blah, too dangerous in Britain in the current climate). Then, obviously, you have a scene where Daphne and the Professor are out in the muggle city, and aurors arrive and he buys her time to escape. Except, shock horror, the only place that she has to go is into the muggle city. The rest basically writes itself.

2) There's a very specific boy/woman/house elf back in England. Unfortunately for Daphne, that bitch Tracy is writing her letters, explaining just how she's going to get her claws into her boo. Fuck that; come hell or high water, Daphne is going to get back to England and climb that sucker like a monkey, the only problem is that she has to overcome her one fear: stinky fucking muggles. But through hard work and determination, Daphne overcomes her fear, works her way through the city to the one place that she knows that there's a working floo, and heads back home. Just as the reader is riding high on the success: pow, suddenly aurors.

I made 2 into a bit of a joke, but I think it's sort of what you were going for, unfortunately the motivation wasn't concrete enough (for a short story), Daphne's overcoming of the obstacle before her (the muggles) was a little too easily won, and the twist poorly foreshadowed and badly executed.

Stylistic

I was actually pretty impressed by the writing in this story as it opened. I felt as though you immediately captured the mood of the place. The opening onto a sunset is a cliche, but for a good reason, and you executed well on it. Unfortunately, this doesn't hold up through the rest of the piece, so I'm going to fall back on the old mantra: EDIT! EDIT! EDIT!

You're clearly capable of good, stylish writing, so there's no excuse for some of the prose that comes later.

A quick note here: you have a tendency to do this, mismatching verbs and adjectives. This sounds as though their boats are floating away, which is not, I presume, what you're intending to portray here.

Use stronger verbs: 'lined the bazar, wafting from the chimneys.'

Your dialogue tags are often punctuated badly, there's a good write up of how to do this properly on the forum somewhere, so there's really no excuse. Also, in this particular instance, but in others later, too, you don't actually need this. It's obvious who's speaking, and that they're enquiring, so just skip it.

Punctuation is off here. When one character addresses another, there ought to be a comma before their name, bub.

Minor quibble, but you've switched perspective here. You're writing third person limited, how does she know what he saw?

This happens at least a dozen times. Either punctuate with a single full stop, or with an ellipsis (three dots).

Trust your reader. You don't need to say that it's named the souk, it's infered from what was written before.

As above, trust your reader. If someone holds someone by the shoulders and looks into their eyes, everyone knows that, given the context, he's trying to reassure her, rather than say, headbutt her.

Misplaced apostrophe. EDIT

Both she and her mother.

You get on a bus, not in one. You get into a taxi, but not onto one. Why? Nobody knows; it's a whole thing.

Conclusion:

This is probably a 2/5. I haven't read the other entries yet, but I can't imagine this placing for me. I think there's a kernel of a good idea here, but one that absolutely needed to be fleshed out more in development. With each story in this competition, I'm going to give two pieces of advice that an author can actualise upon, and immediately improve their story. So here are yours:

1) Do some background research on how to structure short stories. There are a plethora of books on the subject, but if that's not your speed, I know that Writing Excuses, and a bunch of other podcasts go into this, and there's at least one solid youtube video explaining how to flesh out the idea of a story. This story would have probably been a 4 with a stronger concept of what it was trying to do heading in.

2) Consider each scene (each sentence if you're feeling masochistic) in the story through the following lense: what purpose is this serving? Does it advance the plot? Does it display some characterisation essential to the story? Is it establishing location, or advancing a theme? If you answered no to all of these questions, delete it, it's superflous.

4. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Unlike the previous posters, I really enjoy this.

You have managed to capture a wonderful magical feeling in your setting, and I love Daphne's personality. She is bitchy, preppy and feels like a young adult who doesn't know the real world yet. You portray her rose coloured glasses with her fear of Muggles and her lack of understanding of them. I want to see more wizarding world Lebanon, as it seems quite different from the wizards in Britain. I like the lack of a war-torn country and how they are more integrated with Muggles.

Your fic does end abruptly, so I am assuming this is the first chapter of a multi-chapter fic. I could see this turning into a character-building study for Daphne with her running from the law with her classmate and teacher and having to interact with Muggles. She should grow as a person and become less bigoted.

There are ways to improve this chapter, as mentioned by the previous posters. You should expand the fight scene to show Daphne's failings at Defense and how her teacher uses the same Defense techniques he tried to teach her to save her. I would also expand on Daphne's fear of Muggles and how hard it was for her to take the bus and taxi to the party.

Even with these problems, I would rank it a 4/5, with one point being removed because of the abrupt ending.

5. Microwave

Microwave Professor

I really liked Daphne's sense of wonder as she finds out more about the muggle world. It's probably the main selling point of the story, showing how she grows as a person she's further exposed to the world.

I think this growth could have been better emphasised, with some focus on how she changes from the beginning to the end, and maybe a bit more attention could have been put on how Daphne reacts to her surroundings as she becomes more acclimated to them. A lot of the story's charm comes from Daphne's inexperience, and I think I'd like that to be emphasised more.

Like the other posters said, the story doesn't seem to lead anywhere, and it ends on a slightly abrupt note. I'm assuming it's setting up a second chapter because it doesn't really end with anything happening. The story doesn't really stand that well on its own, I think there would need to be a bit more elaboration and a bit more establishment of the setting for it to really work, because I'm not really sure what it is that happened in the story.

I think I'd give it a 3/5, a lot of the charm of it comes from the interesting setting.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  6. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, I’ve kind of noticed that the dialogue seems a bit stilted as her teacher reprimands her. You could also give a bit more background in their first conversation. His name for one thing and what lesson they're doing that day besides the muggles. Another is that I’m surprised she’d start tearing up from that, it feels like Daphne is a stubborn person and then you have her easily cry?

There’s a few spelling errors and the character voices still feel really stilted, but I really like the twist that Daphne’s disgusted yet terrified of muggles.
    The magic whimsy you’ve put in like how Lebanese wizards get around is pretty cool. You could've shown more magic overall though, at times it feels like this is just bad historical romance fiction.

What? Like a charm to sew their clothes first? Couldn’t they have done that at the shop they bought them from? I just think you’re going a bit too 19th century there with pureblood culture.

I like the conflict with the professor. I think overall though, that you didn’t expand on his or Hanan’s characters enough. I agree with BTT that you could probably have shown more internal struggle with Daphne as she realises her father was trying to save her by sending her away. Also, the auror fight was way too short as well.

I give it a 3/5 as I really like the premise at least.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  7. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Technical

This is probably the weakest aspect of this story for me. There are a bunch of errors I noticed reading through this such as:

1) Speech Tag / Dialogue Beat mix-ups
    2) Spelling Errors
    3) Random Capitalization

The incessant capitalization of Muggle just pissed me off and made me drop this from a 3/5 to a 2/5. All of it gives this story an unpolished feel and made it harder for me to read than it should have. The use of ' instead of " for dialogue also annoyed me. While it is not technically incorrect, it doesn't translate particularly well into the internet story format (alongside paragraph indentations).

Things like this too were jarring. You should always group words and actions of a character together, or at the very least NEVER mix the actions of one character with the dialogue of another. This almost reads like Daphne is speaking to another girl for a moment and made me reread just to make sure I had it right in my head. As a rule of thumb, ANYTHING that makes your reader do so is by definition bad writing practice.

Stylistic

This is where you really shined for me. You have a way with words and executing on prose / description that works really well in selling the setting to me without being overtly descriptive. It never becomes too purple either, and that's a hard balance to strike. There are places where this could have been better (adjectives or adverbs that weren't needed) or not trusting your reader enough, but otherwise I quite liked what you did here, execution wise.

The interspersion of her convo with her father as well as the normal scene I think was poorly handled. In general, I don't think interspersing two scenes works very well in the written narrative, although I kinda get why people do it because movies and tvs do so all the time. It's a problem of not reflecting well in the medium, and too date I've never seen an example of it working well. If you want a flashback, have something trigger her memory, but don't chop it up itty bitty then mix it into the stew.

Developmental

So with one point against you, and one point for you, it falls to this tiebreaker.

Unfortunately, you failed massively in this regard. While Daphne starts off well characterized as an unlikable, prissy, spoiled brat with a fear of muggles, it never really moves past that? There's no big AHA moment for this. I feel like you went into this wanting to show the relationship with her dad and Daphne realizing what a brat she was being, but instead the story comes off as her trying to get over her fear of muggles and so your ending falls flat.

2/5.

8. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

(Due to a busy day job as a billionaire, playboy philanthropist and nights spent furiously beating justice into the faces of the mentally unwell, I'll be offering my general opinion and concluding thoughts for all eleven stories first, then try and come back and offer you more. Also, I haven't read the other reviews yet.)

General opinion:

There is actually a lot of goodness here because, as always, character reigns supreme. The flaws that I see in this story don't hide the positives and don't tarnish it, but they do cause big structural problems and I think mask a charm that might otherwise be more apparent to a casual reader than a critical one.

The good:

The character arc of Daphne is a very good example of a positive change arc and well structured and applied... To a point. You get a good sense of her foibles, her living in a bubble with completely superficial priorities and a lacking understanding of the implications of the war on British society. You also see from her perspective how perplexing the relationship with her father is, so contrary to everything she's previously thought he wanted.

In the events within the time of the story itself, she progresses towards a realisation and a new truth/perspective on the world and herself that feels very organic, and this comes from your other strong point. The setting.

Lebanon here (although I've never been) mustered all the right feelings. Daphne the dilettante taking in the setting gave it depth, and I could imagine the humidity, the noise and the architecture and perceive how distinctive it was compared to everything she'd encountered before.

The not quite as bueno:

This moment was quite powerful, but it could have been more powerful, if it was less similar to less important moments earlier and later in the story.

I'm not a hardcore minimalist, not in the way Halt is. But I subscribe to its principles in general terms because it allows you to go off piste sometimes for effect and really emphasise something. For parts of your descriptions being more poetic worked well, for a fair few others it didn't. By being more judicious in general terms with your writing, things like the above can be more special for when you really mean.

I think a fair amount of the constructive criticism you'll have received on this entry will focus around this. Around conciseness, word choice and possibly character presentation as a function of the first two bits. I think telling vs. showing will be mentioned - and I'll try and come back to this entry to do that in more detail once I've read all eleven - and I think that spelling and ellipses will be brought up. All things that could be improved with a good proof read by yourself or a beta.

On that score, I'd suggest looking for stating character feelings explicitly and avoiding it. Bits where you say 'she felt angry' or 'she felt shocked' or whatever, which you do do, should just be smited. Also, try and cut out words which do not materially alter the sentence. I've never seen a 'merely' in a sentence where the sentence didn't pack more punch without it. Other things like 'in order to' or 'as a fact' or connective phrases like that can almost always go.

The final thing to say is that the final section felt quite abrupt. With the time spent on character and events leading up to and during the ball, the fight and resolution seemed abrupt. To use 'Save the Cat' terms as regards her character arc: instead of feeling like we'd reached the climax and then a nice resolution, we actually had the moment of crisis after the bad guys close in - where all is lost and the character is at their lowest point - and then, just before a revelation that would steer her to the aforementioned climax and resolution... Fin.

It didn't quite feel like an opening chapter, rather than a short story. But it also felt like a short story that ended at the close of act two.

Generally, an abrupt endi-

(-ng can be quite unsatisfying, where it doesn't actually tie everything up in a neat or, at least, cathartic package)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  9. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Whoops. I derped into the wrong thread, and apparently you can't delete your own shameful moments any more.

10. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

More than anything this feels like the opening of a longer story. I can’t say I’m a master of plot or story arcs, but this doesn’t feel like something that is complete enough to stand on its own. I think it also doesn’t help that you devoted so many words to Daphne’s conversation with her father. As I read the italicized sections, I kept asking myself if all of that background was really necessary. In my opinion, it could’ve easily been one line about how mad she was that her father sent her away. I would’ve preferred the italicized sections been devoted to fleshing out the world and characters in magical Lebanon.

Another issue I had was that no one feels especially unique. Sure, we get Daphne’s perspective--naive, spoiled--because we are in her head, but beyond that none of the characters stand out as anything more than lines of dialog and names.

I don’t even know what Hanan or Muhaffiz look like...that’s bad! What are their defining physical traits? Think about how hard JKR hammered home distinctive visual details about her characters. I can mention “Half-moon spectacles” or “bushy, brown hair” and you’ll know exactly who I’m talking about without me even mentioning their names.

Having those sorts of descriptions about the characters Daphne interacts with (or hell, how about Daphne herself?) would have helped me form those characters in my head and actually connect with them.

I want to echo what others have said in that your opening paragraph is great at establishing your sense of place. And I feel like you really have a good picture of Lebanon in your mind, and it’s a novel location that I really would like to see explored.

While the story as a concept would be interesting to me (you have a naive protagonist exploring a unique magical culture), reading it just feels like reading bland characters reciting bland dialog to move the plot along to its unsatisfying conclusion. 2/5 , for the location and an awesome opening.

11. Raigan123

Raigan123 Banned

My first thought was: Where is the rest? Which pretty much sums up my thoughts on the story.

The beginning feels weak. Starting with some description of a sunset and the noise of muggles? Why was she so bothered in the first place? Diagon Alley is pretty busy and loud I’d say, which she has already experienced.

Then the story gets going. I like this part. It introduces Daphne well and establishes the situation. Her characterization shows her opinions and beliefs quite clearly. It also shows how sheltered her life has been to this point and how little she knows and cares about the tensions in Britain and how it could affect her.

The rest of the story shows how she gets to the ball, which is basically unnecessary. There is very little gain in showing the entire journey to the ball. It could have just as easily been two paragraphs until they reach the magical part of town or even the ball.

Then there is the ball. Nothing noteworthy happens until the very end, yet it is resolved in two paragraphs. Was this intentional or did you just run out of time? There is buildup but there is no climax. Daphne’s reaction to her new situation is also very short. Her thoughts on the dramatic changes to her life seem to be missing.

12. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    There is quite a bit of interesting stuff in here that could have been polished into a far better story (chapter?) than what was ultimately delivered. Your setting is interesting, as is the constellation of the heretofore sheltered Daphne finding herself out of her depth in a foreign environment. The first couple of paragraphs neatly introduce the former, they convey a certain vividness that is, unfortunately, largely absent from the rest of the entry. As soon as we get into the latter – the actual meat of Daphne’s story – it somewhat loses its way, meandering along without ever really building up to her moment of realization, which does not have the impact it should have had as a result. Daphne interacting with the world around her works to an extent, however I never really got the impression that a paradigm shift occurs within her perception of the country, apprenticeship and society at large she has been thrown into.

I would also give you the advice to go through the story and edit the heck out of it. Your secondary characters largely lack physical descriptions, the story tends to jump from place to place with nary a thought towards describing the different environments, and your highly descriptive tags could frequently be replaced with actions or impressions that show what is going on by their own merit. In other words, show, don’t tell.

All in all, you have the core of something good here, that is weighed down by a myriad of smaller issues. All in all, an okay entry, to which I award a 2.5/5 rating, rounded up 3/5 because of the interesting setting and premise.

13. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

Since I'm a bit of a shit who has waited until the final moments of the review period to get around to, y'know, reviewing, this will be a somewhat abbreviated review. I've also not read much of the other feedback, and none of it in the last week. You have my apologies for both. To the former, if you want to discuss your story further after this is all said and done, respond and I'll look at it some more; to the latter, I guess you can take it as an extra voice to the chorus if I don't have anything unique to offer.

I may or may not actually finish these by Ched's deadline, but vote or no vote on my part I will finish them. You guys wrote something, so you'll get something out of me.

So. Those first two paragraphs. I admit I have a proclivity for prose verging on purple, but this is a excellent opening - you could definitely stand to tighten up your sentences a bit ("Consequently, as it was nearly the end of the day, the men in harbour talked and laughed loudly, leaving their ships to float lonesomely along the coast line" is probably the worst of the lot, to give an example: too many -ly adverbs, and although I actually really like lonesome as a evocative word choice, it doesn't work in the sentence as is). Honestly, if the whole story were written in this quality of prose, I would need only the bare minimum from the characters and plot to enjoy the story.

Alas, the quality of prose trails off quickly. That's alright, though, we still have plot and characters to help round out the piece. Right? Right?

Wrong, as it turns out. Maybe that's a bit harsh, but honestly I feel it has to be said.

As alluded to above, there are - for me - three legs to every story:
    1. The quality of the writing - this, for me, is primarily about style and clever word choice, but high quality writing is also, of course, minimally technically sound.
    2. The quality of the characters - obviously this is much to large a topic to summarize in a sentence, but some questions for guidance might go something like this: Does a given character feel like a real person? In other words, can the reader get in the character's head to see what drives them and why? Do they have depth, or do they serve only to make the plot work? On a different but no less important note, is the character interesting? Mileage will vary on that point, I'm sure, but if your characters are bland you had better be bringing some prose that'll make Rothfuss sit up and a plot that Palahnuk wants to crib from because otherwise people are going to dump you story half read out of sheer ennui.
    3. The quality of the plot - much like characters, plot is tricky to define. Some questions for plot might go something like this: Is this an interesting story; that is, do the readers care about what's happening? Is my plot very clever? Heartwarming? Poignant? Why am I writing this? This last question is a biggie, so I feel it bears repeating. Why are you writing this?
    Like a stool, a story stands the strongest with three sturdy legs. Also like anyone who has ever owned a stool can tell you, three strong legs can be hard to come by at times. That's fine. You're writing for a fanfiction short story competition, no one is here to rip you a new asshole for not being literally Hemingway (tm). You do need at least two reasonably sturdy legs, though, or else one hell of a leg and a keen sense of authorial poise.

This story, unfortunately, does not possess the necessary traits. The quality of prose that opens the story is soon lost, leaving in its place writing that is exceedingly okay. Daphne is the only character with any depth at all, and even that is shallow and somewhat static. As for the plot, refer to the bolded question in point 3 - why did you write this? I don't mean that in a "your story is shit" way at all, but genuinely, what were you trying to do here?

My best guess is that this was meant to be a character piece, which would have been fine, but either you needed to make Daphne immensely more sympathetic and real in her characterization and have the story end with her being taken away so we as readers felt something, or else have this story follow roughly the same beats but have her mature over the length of the story (and also make her somewhat more sympathetic and real throughout).

For all that, there were bits I enjoyed - the opening really did grab my attention, for instance. Just focus in on the "legs" above and suspect you'll be just fine.

14. 9th Doctor

9th Doctor Groundskeeper

This entry felt incomplete, though it's hardly alone. You've shown the larger world well and managed to blend the effect well enough to show that there's a lot more out there than we're being shown. The incomplete feel of the character gives this an impression of a chapter lifted out of a larger work. We're missing before, and it's building to something after, but right now we get a slice of her life.

Daphne herself seems more unremarkable than I was expecting. In an exotic background I was anticipating more than a student traveling, and more of a force of nature information- someone less looking for parties and more of esoteric knowledge, though I'll freely admit that I'm probably being influenced by some of the other stuff I've been reading recently. The situation fits the story well, so my opinion is probably in need of a few grains of salt.