1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Entry #11

Discussion in 'Q4.2 2019' started by Xiph0, Dec 23, 2019.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Once upon a time, before Merlin had learned his first spell, there lived a fair and just Queen. She had three courtiers: Brost the knight, Kael the wizard, and Mil, the people’s representative.

In over four hundred years, the Queen had never allowed so much as the tip of her nose past the ramparts. She never left the castle, nor did she give audience.

One stormy night, late in the year, Mil burst into the castle. His robes billowing in the chilly wind, he called an emergency meeting of the court.

“Right, now that we’re ALL here,” Mil began, glaring pointedly at Kael, who had had to be dragged in by the ear half an hour after the Queen had arrived, “I can tell you why I dragged you out of bed at this magic-damned hour.”

“The goblins have finally revolted, haven’t they,” interjected Kael. Already incensed, Mil looked furious at Kael for stealing his thunder.

Shooting basilisk eyes at the uppity wizard, Mil ground out, “Yes, they have. And we have no idea what magics they might possess, nor do we have even a rough estimate of their numbers. We must be careful, but we must be decisive. I do not want to set a precedent for such rebellions in the future.”

Brost, never one to hide emotion, growled in a low voice, “I always knew we shouldn’t have trusted those filthy animals with our gold. I say we show such inferior races no mercy. Meet them head on, with overwhelming force. Dirty fucking-“

“That’s enough, Brost,” interrupted the Queen, “Although I agree that we must meet their terrorism head on. Kael, do you think it would be wise to mount a magical attack?”

“Strategically, it would. Any trained wizard will be worth two dozen goblins in battle. However, I do not know that we can spare too many given the situation with the castle,” came Kael’s quick reply.

“What are you talking about? There is no priority greater than this, Kael, you lazy bastard,” spat Mil.

The Queen shared a look with Kael, before slowly offering, “Perhaps we could release a few from their duties; retain those who are necessary to stop it from collapsing, and send the rest? We are in no hurry, after all.”

Kael took a deep breath, running his fingers through his long, unbrushed hair.

“My Queen, what we are doing here… I really have no idea what might happen if it we were to do that. Theoretically, of course, it should be possible to keep the process in stasis with a few dozen wizards, but… Magic is not to be trifled with.”

Mil’s grating voice interrupted their conversation, “Right, well do it. We have an uprising on our hands, man! They will kill our people, then they will come here and kill us too! ‘Magic is not to be trifled with’ well neither is goblin steel!”

With that, Mil rose and looked directly at the Queen. Offering him a regal nod, she declared, “Mil is right, of course. Brost, you will lead the defense. Kael go with them and take as many wizards with you as you can. Thank you for coming to alert us, Mil.”

With that, the Queen rose and glided out of the room, beckoning Kael to follow as she did.

Two weeks later, the courtiers were seated around a table with the Queen again. Brost wore bloody armor, and an even bloodier grimace. Kael looked as if he hadn't slept in over a week. Mil too, bore evidence of having been on the battlefield.

Somehow, despite the lack of gore on her robes, it was the Queen that seemed most in need of urgent care. Once radiant skin had turned sallow and pale. Her hair was falling out in clumps, and her eyes were bloodshot, with dark bags underscoring her unrest.

It was Kael that spoke first, "Our Queen was about to undergo an incredibly complex magical ritual before the revolt began. That was why I was unsure whether we could spare wizards for the battle. I have devised a way to put the ritual into stasis, freeing the remaining wizards. Then, we can finally end this madness.”

Drawing in a ragged breath, the Queen tried to speak. Her face twisting into an ugly grimace at her inability to do so, she simply nodded.

Nodding back, Kael rose gingerly and left the meeting room, only to return almost immediately, sweating profusely, shoulders straining against an invisible weight.

"I have instructed the remaining wizards to leave, and am holding the matrix up on my own. I cannot sustain this for long. Here is what we must do," started Kael, dropping to his knees and spreading the scrolls out over the cold stone floor. Conjuring a block of charcoal and a candle, he set about diagramming a complex runic circle on the ground, "Brost and Mil, you must stand here and here," he said, pointing at two triangles along the edge of the circle, "You will be supporting me by feeding the ritual some of your magic. I will attempt to imprint our Queen's and soul onto the magical matrix of the castle. The two are already very closely interlinked, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. However, this will take a lot out of me, and I might not survive if I do not do the same for myself. After the Queen and I are gone, Brost must not leave his triangle. Doing so will prevent either of us from returning. Mil: win us this war, and return with my wizards. They will know what to do."

When Kael was done, the trio took their prescribed positions. Kael took a single step to the left, and began chanting in a tongue lost to time.

The air became thick with magic, and the hairs on Brost's arms stood on end. Mil's ears popped, and the Queen sunk to the floor as the pressure mounted. Light tremors in the walls of the castle increased in intensity until it seemed as if the very Earth was trying to buck them off. Through it all, Kael paused not even to draw breath.

In a flash of orange light that seared Brost's eyeballs, the rumbling stopped and Kael's voice ceased it's chanting. Blinking desperately to restore his vision, Brost called out, "Did it work? Kael? Mil? Did it work?"

"It... seems that it did," came Mil's tentative reply.

Brost, still blind, turned to the source of the voice, "Go! Time is of the esse- glurg!"

Mil pulled the spear back out, shoving the knight from his triangle.

"I have always been King, Brost. Now I have the title to go along with the work," he said, dropping the spear, and turning to the door, "Oh, and don't worry. I'll be putting up the strongest wards I know. Nobody will find you, not in a thousand years. Die now, fool."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A century later, two witches and two wizards would be drawn to a castle hidden by some basic wards; a castle brimming with magic, a castle that seemed almost to have a soul. And that, my dears, is how Hogwarts Castle came to be.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

1201 words by MS Word as written - 1200 exactly when the scene break was removed (and when using an online counter). This one passes in terms of word count, but FFS...

Anyway this is another neat idea. It's one I expected to see, being the origin of the Castle, but it didn't quite click for me. I was never quite sure what was going on, though I can appreciate the concepts in play.

“Before Merlin had learned his first spell” is a great way to give a sense of how long ago this was without sticking actual numbers in.

I like the names Brost, Kael, and Mil… BUT! I keep seeing “Mil” and reading it as the acronym for “mother-in-law” and just no.

This sentence is a bit awkward for a few reasons mixed in together, I think?

Already incensed, Mil looked furious at Kael for stealing his thunder.

The “shooting basilisk eyes” bit is also awkward to read. I like the concept, mind you, and your point comes across perfectly well. It just feels a bit sloppily done, I suppose?

Also want to point out that it doesn’t feel much like a Fairy Tale by the middle – at the start it did, with the Queen who never left her castle and the courtiers – but once they’re chillin’ and having a conversation about Goblins it feels more like a standard story.

So I have the impression that Mil didn’t know what was wrong with the castle. As soon as it seems to be sorted that some wizards will leave and some will stay to deal with whatever-it-is though, he… seems to lose all curiosity. It seems natural that he would ask WTF is wrong with the castle if he doesn’t know, and if he does know then one would think he wouldn’t be dismissing it.

Starts to feel a bit more like a Fairy Tale near the end again.

And at the end I have so many questions. Mil is the King… of what? Scotland? Magical Britain? What was the Queen the Queen of? Where did the Castle come from to begin with? Did Kael and the Queen leave or did Mil kill them? Did they not come back to see WTF happened to Brost if they lived? Did Mil win the war? Which war?

I like telling the story of how Hogwarts castle was created and/or came to be, but I’m not sure this is that story? The castle appears to have existed prior to this story, after all, and we don’t know what happened to it that made it into what it is today apart from Mil putting up wards on it.

Good idea that could use a good deal of polish.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  3. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This doesn't feel like a fairy tale. It doesn't even feel like a shitty parody of a fairytale. It feels like a weird fantasy novel with some vague fairy-tale trappings, and not a particularly good one.

Why are they all named in such awful, un-British names? Why was all this shit necessary just to show why Hogwarts had a "soul" or magic or whatever? Why put in all that military dreck and the speciesism and the gore when all that mattered was the betrayal at the end?

Speaking in technical terms, you use caps for EMPHASIS in dialogue. You use words like "magic-damned", and "shooting basilisk eyes". You get points off for those, as well as the missing commas, the immense space between paragraphs, and the basic prose.

4. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Kinda feels like you're fucking with us, to be honest. Anywho, onward.

This doesn't capture the tone of a fairy tale.
    Nor this, I think.
    On reading the whole story, this role does not seem to fit the archetypes or be appropriate for the setting. Further, by naming one's role 'wizard' and the other two not-wizards it's very surprising (in a not-good way) when you later say they're wizards, too.
    Terrorism does not feel pre-1st millenium appropriate.
    This who castle business isn't introduced well, and then turns out that it's a misdirection for no real reason.
    Stasis doesn't feel a fairy-tale appropriate word.
    Nor Matrix
    Yeah, as above, these other two are wizards, ey?
    Perhaps I missed it, I don't feel you laid any groundwork for the betrayal. I don't think you convincingly built intensity and had the story climax on the betrayal. It was all a confusing hodge podge.

Writing was okish.

5. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This isn't a fairy tale. This is an overblown piece of fantasy nonsense complete with the weeby names, the bad action-adventure and the one dimensional magic.

Despite being set in high fantasy, somehow this is still the lamest Hogwarts castle creation story I can think of.

6. Gaius

Gaius Fifth Year

There are phrases/decisions that distract me and detract from the "fairytale" genre, e.g. "rough estimate," "matrix," "terrorism."

The build-up to the betrayal seems kind of random and overwrought with the triangles they have to step into and the goblin rebellion that we see nothing of.

And why do you have a slightly-changed Superman's name as a name for a wizard (Kael, Kalel)?

7. Agravaine

Agravaine Seventh Year

The prose and narrative style do not fit the expectation of the prescribed theme—which could be fine, if this were not a meandering mishmash with sloppy world-building and an unearned grim-dark sensibility. The choice to revert to convention and append the narrator's address to her my-dears is especially rattling after all that precedes it. There's a germ of a good idea here—a melancholy tale about a queen who is betrayed and murdered in the defense of her people, and whose echo nurtures untold generations—but this isn't the required execution.

8. Microwave

Microwave Professor

Huh.

I have no clue what's happening in your story, to be honest.

It feels neurotic. I've got absolutely no clue where your writing is supposed to be aiming towards. \

The beginning feels pretty standard and fairytale-y.

But then this dialogue comes out and makes it some gritty action thing?

And at the end it tries to compensate and concludes with some sort of attempt at a lesson or something.

It's a bit too confusing. You try to make it wear two skins but neither of them fit.

9. FitzDizzyspells

FitzDizzyspells Seventh Year DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I want to read the version of this story without the ~1,000 word constraint.

You do a great job building your characterizations quickly, but I still don't care enough about these people for the ending to matter to me at all.

I also have absolutely no idea what's going on with the Queen. I'd like to understand what the "incredibly complex magical ritual" is and why it was put in place.

10. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

What did your enter key ever do to you?
    Edit: This is a joke about my preference for dense text, and minimal enter key-striking. Anyway, on to the review itself.
    I can't say this has the tone of a fairy tale, or a moral, which I suppose isn't required either, but it's also expected in fairy tales. What was it that the ritual ex machina did? I assume it put down the goblin rebellion, but the effects are not visible, we just have Mil opining that it works before he suddenly betrays Brost, which I suppose was also meant to be a surprise for us. The betrayal does not seem to accomplish or teach anything, it does not come from anywhere or go anywhere. The Queen and Kael can never return, since Brost left his triangle in death, so Mil is the only character left...and the story ends. Generously, it's mysterious, and it makes me wonder what would have been written in a longer version of this story.
    What we have seems to be a plot summary from that longer version, where we do not learn much about the characters, decidedly more complex than standard fare for fairy tales. Perhaps a shorter, less intricate plot would fit better within the word limit.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  11. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

It's what happens when you copy paste from gdoc to a forum text box. It doubles everything. Also that's the most fucking unself-aware comment I've ever seen you say.

I'd suggest you post something more constructive. Comp threads are exempt from shit posting.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  12. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I hate to be that guy, but this is definitely the least successful entry. It's a story, not a fairy tale, and not a particularly great one. There tone is lacking, the prose/dialogue falls short of the theme.

These are just a few examples of that. I'm not saying that you have to tack on Medieval English, but it sounds too modern.

Just what was the ritual? Why does it matter? If what's-his-name could put up 'the strongest wards blah blah', than what was the point? I dunno man. Not a fan.

If you wrote this for shits and giggles, that's fine. At least you enjoyed it. If this was meant to be taken more seriously, well, try for a beta next time. Regardless, thanks for the submission. Keep trying.

13. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As a fairy tale, I think this could've been a lot more succinct. We don't need to know the names of the queen and her council, also what the heck is 'people representative' doing in a fairy tale? Go into a little bit more detail about him, maybe the 'people's champion' or whatever.

Otherwise, I like this being the origin of Hogwarts, and I'd say cut lots more of the dialogue parts and have it go into a bit more detail on the mystery of why the queen didn't leave the castle for 400 years, a tiny bit more about the enemy being faced. And give the ending a bit more pizazz like how Mil couldn't control the castle/met his demise wether through "Nonetheless, the Ursurping King did not have the magical strength of the queen and thus only lived 80 more years" or "Alas, the foolish new King couldn't control the castle and as if it had a mind of it's own he died one day from a staircase suddenly moving"though I did like the ending and how it gave me sleeping beauty vibes, 'a hundred years later' and all. Reminds me of ATLA too :D