1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Entry #14

Discussion in 'Q3 Flash Competition' started by Xiph0, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Title: A Smart Man

Harry was in the middle of contesting Gamp’s Law when Hermione said that, of all his schemes, this was the most harebrained one.

They sat in the Room of Requirement, looking the part of an average classroom. Harry had stacks of books nearby, and the legendary Diadem Ravenclaw on his head, hidden by an invisibility charm. Ron entertained himself with an old quidditch book, and Hermione fumed at Harry.

“I’m doing NEWT-level Arithmancy, writing a paper on Transmutation, and challenging one of Transfiguration’s oldest laws, Hermione,” Harry said.

Hermione crossed her arms. “And what does any of that prove?” She paused. “You cheat.”

Harry smirked. “That I could easily prove you’re being silly.”

And now, he could use the Diadem to find a way to beat Voldemort. To finally have a life of his own.

Ron sniggered, still reading his book. “He got you there, Hermione.”

She saw red. “You’re not being smart, that’s the Diadem doing all the work, like with that book! In fact, you are a dolt!”

The Diadem made his thoughts fly. Ideas half-formed and memories were summoned by Hermione’s words.

“A dolt.”

Dazedly, he excused himself. Ron followed him, but Harry paid no mind.

“You okay there, Harry?” Ron asked. He rushed Harry’s pace as they crossed the corridors.

“I stuck my wand up a troll’s nose,” Harry said. “Come on, you’re a wizard, Harry!”

“Uh, that was years ago. Your wand still kind of smells, though.”

Harry whirled at him. “I didn’t notice Voldemort’s anagram either. It was right there.”

“I don’t think anybody guessed that one, mate.”

“It’s wordplay Ron. Wordplay! Not making the Philosopher’s Stone.”

Ron rose his hands in surrender.

Harry stewed in silence. “Hey Ron,” he finally said.

“What?”

“I think we had a chance with Parvati and Padma back then.”

Ron’s eyes widened. “Hitting the bludger, quaffle through the hoop, or catching the Snitch?”

“Catching the Snitch.”

“Oh man…”

It was the start of a long, difficult day.

---

Harry escaped his friends after checkmating Ron for the third time.

“I don’t like the Diadem, Harry,” Ron had said, sullenly reorganizing the pieces.

He was beginning to agree with him and Hermione. She had apologized for insulting him, but he didn’t resent her. She was right.

Harry’s feet took him to the Astronomy Tower, far from everybody.

It was like he was suffocating, drowning in these spiraling ideas. Of failure, mistakes and death.

Harry entered the Tower, and perched himself on a railing. His gaze fell, watching the courtyard from Hogwarts's tallest peak. The Diadem was heavy on his head, and the night was cold.

“It’s a long way down to the bottom,” he mused.

Yet, it felt right there. With just one step-

“A lovely night, isn’t it?” A voice said behind him. Harry flinched. “If you take the time to look at it.”

“Professor Dumbledore!”

“I hope you won’t mind my company, Harry. An unfortunate quirk of old age is that sleep becomes a daunting task. Nightly strolls are a routine of mine.”

“It’s alright, I was just leaving.”

“Ah, I see. Before that, indulge me for a second.” Dumbledore peered at Harry. “A certain artifact I recently acquired at great pains is missing, and with your penchant for adventures, I wonder if you can offer me any insights.”

Harry’s cheeks went warm. He dispelled the invisibility on the Diadem. “Sorry Professor, I shouldn’t have taken it without asking. I was just,” he trailed off.

“Desperate for a solution.”

Dumbledore smiled. “No need to return it just yet.” He moved, standing next to Harry. “Pardon my presumptuousness, but it seems you had a difficult day.”

Harry was quiet for a second. “Yeah. I guess I know myself better now, and I didn’t like what I saw.”

“An awful thing to realize, for sure. Self-awareness can be harmful, if we don’t know how to be kind to ourselves.”

He immediately saw through it. “It’s not about that, sir. Everyone is counting on me, but I’m not good enough,” Harry said, heatedly. “I keep making mistakes, losing, not focusing on the big picture. It’s been like that my whole life, and it took me sixteen years to notice. I thought, if only I was smarter, better...”

Mistakes replayed in his mind. The impossibility of a mediocre wizard defeating Voldemort. Things that he could have done better. Cedric, Sirius…

Dumbledore hummed. “Do you know Rowena Ravenclaw’s thoughts on the Diadem, Harry? An imperfect creation, she wrote. Curious, considering the Diadem works exactly as intended.”

Harry frowned, at a loss.

“The Diadem was to be her greatest creation. It would take her intellect to heights never seen. However, she grew haunted by her own thoughts. Her potions, that could have been more stable. Spells that weren’t practical enough. A thousand little faults in Hogwarts, her and the Founders’ legacy. And those poisonous thoughts inevitably turned to her friends, family, and herself. All victories and good things in her life seemed incomplete, hollow.”

Harry was all too familiar with that feeling. “What did she do?” he asked, curiosity roused.

Dumbledore looked up at the starry sky. “As I said, she accomplished many great things, but never did break the hold these thoughts had on her. She was successful and left a great legacy, but I suspect, had a less than happy life.”

“It’s hard. I can’t find the right solutions, and nothing I can do will be enough. I feel paralyzed, I feel…”

“That if there’s no right choice, why act at all?”

Harry looked at him desperately, hopefully. “You understand it, sir?”

Dumbledore gave him a serene smile. “More than you could know, Harry. A story for another time. I decided to acknowledge my mistakes and learn from them, but also assign a fair value to my accomplishments.” Dumbledore looked at his gloved hand, eyes glinting with nostalgia. “It’s been a life well-lived, despite the difficulties. A terrible part of our nature; to give so much more weight to our faults than to our strengths.”

Harry sighed. “I haven’t accomplished anywhere as much as you, sir.”

“Truly? I seem to remember a fair number of victories on the Quidditch pitch, respectable grades, and friends that would follow you through the greatest perils,” Dumbledore said with mirth. “How is that for the boy who lived in the cupboard under the stairs?”

Different, vivid memories came to his mind. The rush of hundreds of people cheering for him. The first time he got the Patronus right. The Weasleys, Hermione, all of his friends.

A shy, tentative smile grew on his lips. “Not bad at all, is it?”

With his head lighter, Harry removed the Diadem.

“I daresay it’s not! And there's much more, if you look into it. I myself am far from perfect. I have awful caligraphy, a widely criticized fashion sense, and after decades, cannot communicate with Fawkes well.” He leaned for a conspiratory whisper. “He detests my accent, you see, and has no patience to teach me. I had to practice with chickens.”

Harry frowned, and then put back the Diadem on. “Did you really talk with chickens, Professor?”

“I did. And I am truly glad that nobody in the Prophet witnessed it. It would certainly have hurt my case after their senility accusations.”

The Diadem was made to decipher Magic and the Universe’s greatest mysteries. And Harry still couldn’t tell if Dumbledore was messing with him.

He returned the Diadem to Dumbledore, chuckling. The artifact had met its match.

Dumbledore’s eyes twinkled. “Well Harry, my mental faculties aside, what is the smart thing to do now?

For once, Harry didn’t need help. He thanked the Professor, and walked back to the Common Room. The hallways weren't narrow and dark anymore. He caressed the ancient stone, feeling the pricks of magic. He remembered good times in Hogwarts. His home.

So many memories.

Soon, Harry was back in the Common Room. Ron and Hermione were arguing about something, but immediately stopped when Hermione caught sight of him. She nudged in his direction for Ron’s sake.

He smiled wryly. “Sorry to make you guys worry. I’m better now.”

Harry plopped himself down on the sofa, enduring their watchful eyes.

“You sure?” Ron asked.

“Yeah, I think so.”

And Harry did the smart thing.

They talked, played games, laughed. It was one of his best nights in a while.

Harry had responsibilities, a mission he didn’t know how to accomplish, people counting on him. It was a lot to take in. But he had moments like these, too. It was far from perfect, but that didn’t mean it was a bad life.

“Yeah. I’m glad to be alive.”

2. haphnepls

haphnepls Seventh Year

A good one.

There's a slight POV break at the beginning where Hermione saw red, and it made me constantly look for more, which annoyed me to no end since the rest is perfectly well written. SO I had to reread the whole thing again if only to have a slightly less antagonistic approach towards the story. It was just as good the second time. There's a kind of simplicity to your writing that I quite liked, and the friendship angle stroke true. It's strange how I'm glad to be alive can be such a great revelation, huh? Well, not to drift away, I'd only like to add that the Quidditch thing is great, but it does have a slightly forced feeling about it. Like: Damn, I need to twist something Harry Potter in here to make it more Harry Potter.

3. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I think the first part made me expect a comedy piece, and while that first part is indeed a comedy - although frankly, not a terribly brilliant one - the second part is a rather more mature look at how to live with regrets and guilt and such.

If you had focused on one of these things, you would've had a stronger story. As is the tonal inconsistency makes both parts feel weird and incomplete. This piece being rather unmoored in canon also doesn't quite help this feeling of awkwardness. It's impossible to say from the dialogue, the descriptions of the characterizations which year this takes place in, except for the mention of Dumbledore's gloved hand which suddenly jarringly brings things to Sixth Year, although evidently a somewhat different Sixth Year than we're expecting.

That said I do think you write a good Dumbledore, so definite kudos for that. 3/5.

4. Atri

Atri Groundskeeper

It's a solid story. Writing is fine. And I like that Harry changes at the end of the story, coming to the realization that his life isn't that bad and life is a good thing in general. Probably the best part of this story is his conversation with Dumbledore. 3.5/5

5. Microwave

Microwave Professor

The Dumbledore characterisation is nice, which already moves your story up a few tiers. Writing Dumbledore is hard, as we’ve seen with some of the other entries in this competition. I liked it. I think you touched on a sort of joie de vivre that makes this story just feel good. However, like many others, this story suffers from a case of tonal inconsistency. The subject matter is remarkably serious, but it contrasts a bit too much with the attempts at comedy.

3.5/5

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

1445 words

7. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Very creative! A bit too pat of an ending, but well-done. The diadem should be used more in stories. The interplay between the Trio worked quite well.

8. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I enjoyed this, I agree with others that this swings between comedy and more serious piece but that doesn't bother me to much. The characters felt spot on, the introspection and dialog. 4/5

9. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I rather like this. It's an interesting, fresh take on the Diadem which feels appropriate to canon, the writing is pretty good, Dumbledore is well-characterised...the hints at Harry coming close to killing himself are a little darker than the rest of the story really warrants, but you pull it back nicely.

10. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Okay yeah, I like this one. The prose and writing itself needs a bit of an edit, since it seems... I guess I 'felt' like there were too many really short paragraphs? Even though we had a lot of dialogue and you didn't have many words to work with, it sort of stuck out to me.

But at the same time I think this is great idea for a flash piece. It's a full story that fits into the required word count and 'feels' like canon, so kudos for that. I hope to see it fleshed out a bit / edited at some point.

Really refreshing, to see the diadem and Dumbledore and Hogwarts like this.

11. LucyInTheSkye

LucyInTheSkye Seventh Year

The Dumbledore and Fawkes bit was my favourite bit in this story, I also liked the ending. The general idea was good and it works well for a one-shot. That most of it was dialogue made it easy to read, but at the same time there were parts of the dialogue that I didn't feel were that well executed and a bit childish, maybe it's my own sense of humour that doesn't quite jell with this. And then we learn that Dumbledore's hand is already cursed, which means they're quite old. I don't know, to me it felt as though Harry and co were in their first few years in this story from the way they interacted, and from how Harry has apparently just stolen the diadem for a laugh. I was also massively annoyed with Harry in the beginning, before I got the explanation to why he was behaving like that, but that was of course on purpose, so I will say well done for that.

12. Dubious Destiny

Dubious Destiny Seventh Year

The starting of this fic was one giant red flag. I'm glad you've gone in another direction. The plot felt formulaic, with Harry having a problem, Dumbledore helping him out and dropping nuggets of wisdom and mirth and the resolution. The whole issue was tied up neatly, too neatly by my estimation. The characters were on point. I'd give this fic a 3/5.

13. FitzDizzyspells

FitzDizzyspells Seventh Year DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I have very mixed feelings on this one.

I like that you essentially take fanon's intelligent!Harry and gently break him down. I would like to see him taken to task for being smarmy and unfunny as well, but we can't have everything we want in life.

I do like this idea that the Diadem can drive a person mad with self-criticism, as they recognize the flaws in all their work.

The conversation with Dumbledore isn't bad, and it's even in-character. But it just feels weird that intelligent!Harry has to learn the lesson that canon Harry already lives out: Don't be so hard on yourself, and take some time to be a teenager now and then.

And honestly.... I don't really see intelligent!Harry taking that kind of advice to heart, knowing he'll have to face Voldemort one day. It would feel hollow to him, wouldn't it? He's still going to be anxious about his inevitable future. You've kind of written yourself into a corner, with this character.

I feel like you've taken fanon and circled back to canon. Rather than coming off as clever, it just comes off as a bit obvious.

14. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    Oooh I liked this one. A very creative idea for a flawed diadem i hadn't seen before, and I also think you really nailed Dumbledore. Some were calling the ending to pat, but it actually reminded me of canon a bit and Harry of Canon Harry. That's all. There's some dedinite echos to the mirror of Erised in this.

Overall a good story.

15. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Well, this one is mine. I'm glad the reception was pretty positive, and I was especially happy that the Dumbledore characterization and the Diadem plot device were well-received. To be honest, it's been over a decade since I read the HP books, and while I was confident I could write Dumbledore decently since he left a lasting impression on me, I was less sure about Harry, Hermione and Ron. Didn't help that I wrote this in a couple of hours, so in hindsight I can see why a couple of jokes didn't land lol. Another lesson on the importance of proofreading.

As for the criticism, yeah, it was a formulaic story. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it is predictable. And the general impression that the tone was mixed was enlightening for me. A theme I had in mind was how innocuous thoughts, like Harry realizing his decisions weren't always great, could spiral down into much worse things. The Diadem imposes a thorough analysis of everything the user thinks, and human nature being what it is, it's easy to fall in the rabbit-hole of ruminating on your every mistake. The tonal inconsistency made the story work for me, but since we write stories for other people to read them, I'll have to find a different way to express that.

There's also the criticism of the vague time-period this story takes place in. In the first few lines, Hermione makes a comment about Harry cheating with a certain book, and later I reference Dumbledore's hand. If I ever get to rewriting this, I'll have to find more ways to make this clearer, because yeah, it's supposed to take place in the Sixth Year lol.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback guys. It's rare to get so much of it, so it was a good learning experience. Here's hoping I'll do better in the next one.