1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Entry #3

Discussion in 'Q4 2020' started by Xiph0, Dec 16, 2020.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

AN: Set during DH.

“Thank you and tune in same time tomorrow for the next broadcast of Potterwatch.” Dirk tapped his wand on the wireless, silencing the static that had replaced the broadcast.

“I’m not sure what is worse, no news or bad news.” Dean said from where he lay on a bedroll laid out by a riverbank in the Cotswolds.

“You’d rather hear the news of your friends dying?” Gornuk sneered.

Dean didn’t even look over, used to the perpetually unpleasant Goblins, if Dirk hadn’t insisted on staying together, he would have been happy to strike out on their own.

“It’s been months now” Ted Tonks said from his bedroll, looking up at a cloudless sky awash with stars “At least bad news means something is happening, people are resisting, He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named is not having it all his way”. Next to him was Penelope Clearwater looking pail and drawn, her forehead dotted with sweat on the cool night, her chest shuddered with a suppressed cough.

Gornuk muttered something in Gobbledygook to Griphook which made him sneer, Dirk looking between the Goblins and Wizards sighed before laying down himself.

~~~~~~~~~~~

“We have to do something!” Dean yelled over the wind that was ripping through their camp. He was rubbing Penny’s back as she hacked up globs of yellow phlegm. Dirk was crouched over them, their makeshift camp in the lee of an old rotting barn, he could see flecks of blood in the phlegm Penny was splitting out. Sharing a look with Ted across the heads of the two teenagers Dirk gestured with his eyes for Ted to step aside.

The Goblins had ripped up an entire portion of turf, roots and all and propped it up on a piece of broken door frame, their small frames tucked in snug inside a makeshift shelter, a small green mound almost indistinguishable from the old farmland gone to seed.

“What do you think of my plan now?” Ted all but yelled, the wind ripping his words away as soon as he spoke them. With the snatchers abound they couldn’t risk even the meanest of spells to help their plight.

“No better than I did even before she got sick” Dirk said looking morose.

“Griphook seemed to be onboard, they could do with the supplies as much as we do, and I bet more than a little of their share will find its way into the black market, you might not like it, but that’s the only way some people can get supplies now” Ted insisted gripping Dirk’s shoulder and holding his gaze.

During a lull in the wind when Penny’s racking cough could be heard clearly Dirk shoulders slumped “I’ll speak with Gornak and Griphook”

In the ally behind St Mungo’s the group of outlaws were quickly stepping into disguises, the ally was close enough to the epicentre of magic that they could freely use magic with out setting off any detection nets.

Penny and Dirk both took a long draw from a flask. Gornak had acquired a weak sample of The Draught of the Living Dead. The poorly brewed potion would supress their vital signs enough to pass for stunned or petrified.

The Goblins put on a full-length coat, the jackets looked to be made or turfs, brown and yellows mixed throughout, like a hay field drying out in a hot summer. As they pulled the coats closed around them their forms seemed to shift, the colour of the jackets shifting to match the brown brick of the building behind them and the washed-out grey of the concrete ally.

Ted and Dean had changed into standard wizard robes before downing another potion Gornuk had acquired. A joke potion designed by the Weasley twins, it made everyone who looked at you, see you as someone different, everyone saw a face of someone they felt they knew but couldn’t remember. Made so people could play indignant that they had been forgotten, it lasted hardly an hour but was the best they could do in leu of Polyjuice potion.

Waving their wands over Penny and Dirk, Dean and Ted floated the two of them down the ally, the two camouflaged goblins crouching under the floating wizards. Their jackets and the shifting shadow and scenery making them all but invisible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Picked these two up from a muggle hospital” Ted said as he passed by reception, he and Dean floating the two drugged outlaws behind them “Been there a few days apparently, couldn’t wake them up or work out what was wrong with them”. His breath came slightly frosted, a pair of Dementor guards had been stationed by the doors, but the potion had weakened the two patients life signs enough to mingle with the goblins under them, the Dementors hooded gaze following them for a moment before returning to looking into nothing. Another scruffy looking Witch was sitting in the lobby, looking more dirty then sick, Ted was sure she was a snatcher on the look out for outlaws.

The Witch on reception nodded, briefly looking at the floating pair before looking back at Ted and Dean, not sure where she knew them from. “Level 3 for spell reversal” she said gesturing to down the hallway towards to lifts.

Nodding at the Witch the group made their way to the lifts, the first part of the plan working well. The Snatcher and Dementors had paid them no further notice.

As they waited for the lift the large fireplace burst into life, expelling a half dozen wizards and witches, one poor fool was literally floating in three separate parts, blood dripping out at a constant rate but not hitting the floor. Another was horribly burned and being supported by a young Witch half his size, while two others kept up a constant string of spellwork trying to knit the floating man back together.

The group, moving as one barrelled towards the lifts and into them just as the doors were opening, a good looking middle aged witch paused briefly in her spell work to glance at the group waiting by the lifts, taking in the two unconscious forms and the two wizards floating them with an well trained eye she snapped at Dean and grabbed him by the shoulder pulling him into the lift “He can handle those two on his own, we’ll need you to prep ward C, run and get Franklin.” the doors shut off all sound as they closed, Dean sharing a wide eyed look of panic with Ted.

The Lift dinged for level 3 and the three visible and two mostly invisible outlaws entered the spell reversal ward of St Mungo’s. As Ted had known it would be, a dark wood sign with silver lettering declared “Potion room”. Pausing for just a moment he could see a subtle blurring, like heat rising off a stove top as the Goblins slipped away and towards the potion storeroom to begin their plunder.

With the new ministry severely controlling all potion and potions ingredients, along with the supply and production of the ingredients, all “Undesirables” had found themselves lacking vital medicines and potions to aid in the resistance. The Blackmarket was hot with supplies for those with the money to spend, but even top dollar often only got you substandard ingredients, often grown in less than suitable conditions and picked to soon. Only the week before one of the primary sources of ingredients had been raided, the concentration of magical ingredients too much to hide from the all-seeing eyes of the ministry.

Ted moved deeper into the Ward, finding an empty room to deposit the two spellbound outlaws in. Now all he could do is wait, and hope Dean managed to get out with out setting off alarms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was almost a quarter of an hour before Dean had a chance to slip out, it had been a whirl wind of healers, potions, screaming and putrid smells. He was covered in blood; his heart was pounding, and he felt like he needed to throw up. He collapsed into a near by chair thinking he was about to faint as the adrenalin left his body.

He was just about to stand up and try to find Ted when the Medi-Witch who had first grabbed him came out, she too was covered in blood and gore, how that wizard was still alive Dean had no idea.

“What was that then?” She said looking down at Dean, “I thought I recognised you from the intern pool but no…” She looked closely at him and suddenly Dean felt a shiver start at the top of his head and run down his body, she had seen through the imposter potion.

Panicking Dean rushed to his feet, this time using his height and strength he clamped a hand over her mouth and dragged her into the room across from them, which was mercifully empty.

“Shhh, don’t move and everything is going to be okay” Dean said, his voice unsteady. The medi-witch said nothing, but Dean felt something press up under his ribs. Her wand was drawn and warm where it was pressing into him. His mind whirling it only took him a moment to admit defeat and fall back, his legs bumping up against the gurney in the room.

“What are you doing here?” She medi-which said in a steady voice, her wand held steady at Dean.

Deans mind was racing, thinking how to get out, how Penny needed the medication they had come for. How if any of them were caught, they would surely be killed by the Ministry.

“I’m a Muggleborn” Dean said finally “My friend is sick and she needs medicine, a couple of Goblins said they could get us what we need if we helped them break in” If he could throw the Goblins under the bus, he might be able to get Ted and the others and slip out, they all had a price on their head, but most Witches and Wizards weren’t fond of Goblins.

“You all outlaws? You and the others you were with?” She asked.

“Just me and the Goblins, the others are just helping us out, selling the potions we don’t use”

“If the others aren’t outlaws why don’t they just come in asking for help?” She asked shrewdly.

The silence dragged on as Dean fumbled for an answer, a cold sweat breaking out across his body.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ted had his wand drawn as he stood on the inside of the door of his room as it creaked open. Through the crack by the hinges he could make out Dean as he stuck his head in.

“Finally,” Dean said as he stepped into the room. He jumped a bit seeing Ted behind the door with his wand drawn and the slumped form of a balding old wizard in the corner. Looking from the prone wizard to Ted, Dean raised a questioning eyebrow.

“He came in to check on those two” Ted said gesturing at Penny and Dirk “But he detected the potion right away, went to call for help as apparently they have to report certain potion types right away.”

“Don’t worry about it, I got everything we need. Give me hand with Dirk and Penny” Dean said handing Ted a small vial with a clear, colourless liquid in it.

“Where’d you get that?” Ted asked as he held it up tot the light briefly before uncorking it and placing it to Dirk’s mouth, mirroring Deans actions with Penny.

“There was another store room on level 5, I raided it for our supplies.” Dean said helping Penny sit up, her racking cough starting instantly. As soon as she was sitting he pulled out another larger vial, this full of a thick yellow potion, not giving Penny time to ask questions he put it to her lips tipping it into her mouth as he cradled her head with his other hand. The racking cough instantly subsided after the first swallow and Penny seemed to take a breath that restored the colour to her face and the life to her eyes.

“Wow” She said quietly placing a hand to her chest as she took another experimental breath.

“There is no time, we have to go.” Dean said gesturing to the door “If we take the staircase we can get down to the lobby, we’ll have to shield off the Dementors and snatcher in the Lobby before we can make it into muggle London and the Portkey”

Dirk was up on his feet standing next to Ted “That wasn’t the plan, where’s Gornak and Griphook?”

“We got split up, I had to raid another supply store, we don’t have time, they can make their own way out!” Dean insisted taking Penny’s arm and pulling her along with him, she had been so out of it the last days she had only vaguely been aware of this plan she found herself in the middle of.

“They should just be down this corridor in the storeroom, we can get them on the way out” Dirk insisted, glancing around quickly before opening the door and stepping out.

Ted was out after Dirk before Dean could stop them, he hesitated for just a moment before stepping out after them still holding onto Penny’s arm.

Just as he was stepping into the corridor, Ted back peddled into him, stepping on his foot, and shoving him and Penny back. “Malfoy” Dirk whispered pulling the door almost entirely closed, leaving only a sliver open to look through.

Through the gap Dirk could see Malfoy and an older witch, bound in ropes on the floor before them was Gornuk and Griphook. Malfoy seemed bored while the older which was smiling with glee, Dirk couldn’t make out what they were saying, but the ding of the opening lift rang clear down the hall.

“Balls, Balls!” Dirk said pulling the door closed but holding onto the handle. “Someone must have caught Gornuk and Griphook and called it in.”

“How many?” Ted asked.

“I just saw the two of them, but we know there is at least one more in the lobby, and the Dementors.” Dirk said looking the other three over.

“We can’t help them now. Lets just wait for them to leave and sneak out as planned.” Dean said showing the parcel of supplies he had plundered.

“No, we came in together we leave together.” Dirk declared.

“Penny needs rest, the potion needs time to work fully, and we don’t know who else is there, lets just lay low and slip out.” Dean insisted stepping closer to Dirk, he was almost half a foot taller than the others.

“No, it's all or none.” Dirk countered “We don’t have time to argue.”

~~~~~~~~~

Lucius and Belinda were just passing the reception desk, the bound goblins dragging across the floor behind them as the door to the stairs burst open, one flying off its hinges fully, the other cracking the wall behind it.

Dirk and Ted flew at the two Death Eaters, Belinda falling before she knew what was happening, Lucius only managing to block the first salvo before himself dropping to the flurry of spells.

Between the charging wizards a bright cloud flew past them at the Dementors forcing them back, Dean bellowing the Patronus charm with his wand raised, the other pulling Penny along with him.

Ted rounded on the snatcher they had seen in the lobby on the way in, binding her to her chair before she had even dropped her magazine.

Dirk bodily lifting the Goblins up joined Ted and Dean as they crashed through the entry into Muggle London. Crossing the street Ted snacked up a ratty old news paper that had been jammed under a trash bin. Pressing it to Dirk’s shoulder as Dean and Penny grabbed on, he spoke “Tartan” just as several cracks of incoming apparitions sounded.

~~~~~~~~~

The group crashed to the ground by a riverbed, the late afternoon sun dimmed by the low grey cloud. Dirk holding the two Goblins crashed into Ted sending them all into the slow flowing river.

With out magic it took awhile to unbind the Goblins and dry out; they would have to wait for the stunning to wear off naturally rather than risk trying to reverse it.

As the group set camp nearby, no one in the mood to carry the Goblins far, Dirk caught Dean as he heading to relieve himself behind a tree.

“Ted seems to think you must have drunk some luck potion, raiding a storeroom after being pulled into that trauma room case.” Dirk said softly, standing between Dean and the camp.

“Would have been luckier if we hadn’t of almost been caught, I reckon.” Dean said looking past Dirk to their camp.

“Well lucky we all made it in the end. All of us, we’re all in this together after all.” Dirk said moving to catch Deans eye.

Dean looked down, the quarter moon only giving enough light to wash the grass a silvery grey. “Yeah, got what we needed and got out, and Penny’s getting better already, think we can make a drop for the extra supplier tomorrow?”

“Perhaps.” Dirk said softly after a pause. He stepped towards Dean, in the dim light Dean thought Dirk almost looked sad. “We’ll see how every is in the morning. I’ll take the night watch”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Right. First off, let's fix this writing, yeah, so all the mistakes are gone?
    Now let's look at what this paragraph contains, in terms of content. It's, plainly put, an infodump, and it's not even a particularly good one. "People are resisting" - yes, obviously, considering they're listening to a rebel's radio show. "He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named is not having it all his way". Feels like Ted could use some stronger language there. Penny is sick, which you make clear through (a) the sweat and (b) the cough. Either would suffice, I think.

The rest of it is also like that. Even the AN explains something which is immediately available context in the first line. Your scene breaks are misplaced, also: they need to be between one scene and the next. Dean and Ted heading into St. Mungos ought to be one scene, so why the break?

At the part where Dean has to talk his way out of a tough spot but the scene cuts away, I started skimming. As per usual with that kind of abrupt cut, it feels like you were telling the reader, "Hey, I don't know. Figure something out, I'm sure it'll do. Now back to the part I could be buggered to actually write."

This is an adventure without any real sense of excitement, mostly due to extremely spotty writing. I can't give it more than a 1/5.

3. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    Hmm. Interesting. In some ways this is an inverse of the other fics in that I think it is heavy on plot but needs beefing up on the character side. Of all the fics submitted, I think yours had the tighest, most logical, complex, and interesting plot.

Maybe because of the word limit though, I felt you were limited on the characterization side. We needed more (or better fleshed out) moments between the action/plot to make us connect to the characters. This is actually more important with the theme of this competition. When you are writing a fanfic of characters like... say... Harry... you can sometimes assume the reader is familiar with him and you lean on the characterization and relationship building work done by the real author. But since we are dealing with unknown or minor characters in this story, it requires you to build them up some so we're attached and invested in them.

Again I suspect the word limit hurt you. Like in another story this plot would go over several chapters, leaving you the chance to build the characters in between.

I'd echo some of BTT's general writing/flow advice.

I think if you decided to expand this story here, youve got the bones of a very good fic. The plot is all there, you just need to spend some words to expand the rest of it

4. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That's a lot of plot for the word count restriction; I respect the ambition, but the execution is sadly a little lacking. Clunky phrasing, missing punctuation - and in one instance, a missing scene break, which is important for a piece like this that relies on a lot of sharp scene changes - and just rushed overall. There's just a bit too much going on to really get to grips with the characters, which leaves what suspense there is, given that we know what happens per canon, falling flat.

On the other hand, the concept is pretty good, if a bit of a reskin of the trio's raid on the Ministry in DH. It does perhaps clash a bit with established canon for a piece which seems to be a missing scene rather than an AU of any level (would Malfoy have been at the Ministry at all at this stage? He certainly wasn't in Voldemort's good books), but that's a relatively minor issue. With some polish and re-writing where appropriate, and some expansion to develop the characters and plot, this has potential. I think it's just a little too ambitious to pull off for the competition though.

5. bking4

bking4 Second Year ⭐⭐

High Score:
    This sentence starts and won't stop. Use a period in to break this into two sentences, or at the very least a semi-colon.

Should be "pale."

Another run on sentence, it happens a few times. Split up your thoughts, this sounds more like a stream of consciousness than someone speaking. Even then, it should be broken up into sentences.

This bit and the scene right before it threw me. You tried to set the scene with some howling wind, which is superfluous to the scene. It doesn't provide anything, but forces you to mention how the wind calms down so you can hear Penny's cough. It also forces the reader to question how they could hear Penny cough in the first place if there was howling wind.

The transitions from scene to scene are very abrupt as well. There's an extra space here, so I'm wondering if this was supposed to be a scene break? Either way, Penny getting sick is a decent motivation for the rest of the story, but I would call more attention to the fact that they need medicine specifically, not just supplies.

You used a watered down Draught of Living Death and an imposter potion. Did you mean Polyjuice potion? Alternatively, they both have their wands, why wouldn't they have used some kind of glamour or self-transfiguration that couldn't be "seen through?"

"The" medi-witch. Also, we don't get any kind of conclusion as to what happens with the medi-witch. I assume that she's on their side and helps Dirk to the additional supplies, but that happens off screen. The last thing that happened to them was Dean breaking out into a cold sweat, then a scene change. I'd add in either Dean's last statement, whatever it is that he says to convince her. Then let the reader question for a couple sentences or paragraphs or however long it is until they figure out what happened.

My overarching thoughts: generally unimpressive. The prompt was "Not all Adventures at Hogwarts involve Harry." This may not have involved Harry, but it also wasn't at Hogwarts. By my understanding, it doesn't fit the prompt. Regardless of my other views or concerns about this piece, I can't vote for it.

However, it also has some technical issues. Run on sentences, a lack of punctuation, a few minor spelling errors. If I had to guess, I'd say this and Entry #2 are the ones that were written last minute. This could do with a good bit of editing.

Story wise, you've got a decent structure set up. We're on the run, one of us gets sick, we need to get them medicine even though it's dangerous. I think you could have discussed the plan during the first scene with the radio, and had them arguing about whether it was worth it to go. Doing so would have shown the danger of the mission and would have made their decision to go when Penny got sick all the more heartfelt, and made it seem like a more difficult decision. You seemed to be trying to use the setting, the howling wind, to set the mood like you would in a movie or a short film, but that doesn't work in writing. At least that way my impression.

Finally, the resolution of this isn't particularly fulfilling. You set up the premise as being "we need to steal the medicine, it's going to be dangerous to get it." It ends up being surprisingly easy to get it, and is retrieved off screen. Then we spend the last bit of the story in a battle against Lucius Malfoy and someone named Belinda to retrieve the Goblins back. Due to length constraints, this is short and taken care of quickly. You could have cut it entirely and made the heist/entry/escape part more inherently difficult.

Also, who the heck are Belinda and Dirk? Dirk is maybe Dirk Cresswell? That's the only name that comes to mind, but he's such a small character that I need more info/description on him than you gave. I have no clue who Belinda is. Do you mean Bellatrix?

Overall, a complete story, which could use some editing and some cleaning up grammatically and structure wise. It has some pretty serious issues for me, though. Regardless, it doesn't fit the prompt so I give it 0/5.

6. FitzDizzyspells

FitzDizzyspells Seventh Year DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'm afraid I don't understand what Dean's big secret is. This story moved very quickly, and it was difficult to follow. In fact, things advanced so quickly that it often felt like first you wrote a story, then cut every other paragraph just before you submitted it to the comp.

I felt like I was listening to someone tell a summary of a story, rather than watching it happen at the speed at which it would actually happen in real life. In fiction, there are times when it's OK to jump ahead, to move things along quicker than they usually would. But for now, I would advise you to practice writing scenes at a slower, more realistic speed, which will help make everything — the conversations, the decisions and the actions — feel more realistic.

There's little to no characterization in this story. I don't really get a sense of anyone's personality. Additionally, I can just barely tell that the story is told from Ted's point of view initially, then later from Dean's point of view. When it comes to most fiction, the reader should be able to easily tell whose point of view the story is from.

You need to learn how to format your dialogue. I think this will be a helpful resource for you: https://www.masterclass.com/article...short-story#how-to-format-dialogue-in-a-story

You also need to work on your run-on sentences. Here's how I would format this sentence of yours, for example:

“We got split up," Dean said. "I had to raid another supply store. We don’t have time — they can make their own way out!” Dean took Penny’s arm and pulled her along with him. For the past few days, she had been so out of it that she had only vaguely been aware of this plan.

Speaking of Penny, this is the first alarming symptom we get that actually would warrant breaking into a hospital, in my opinion. If I were you, I would give her a very high fever, and I would also mention way earlier in the story that she's very disoriented.

7. Niez

Niez Competition Winner CHAMPION ⭐⭐

Fix your grammar, in particular your speech tags. Last warning.

I will be honest. This story is quite the mess.

Technical difficulties aside, it seems mightily jumbled, with a confused plot and disjointed pacing, with characters that can barely be considered as such and shouldn’t really be together to begin with. You also manage to fit gods know how many scenes within a few thousand words, but you seem to forget that for every one of them you need to do the essentials; like describing the scene, the characters that are involved, what they are doing, etc. Maybe you skip all these points because word limit constraints, but this begs the question; why do you have so many scenes to begin with? Like what is their purpose?

Let’s focus on the plot. It's initially unclear what they’re setting out to do and why (including why them to begin with, and how such a ragtag group of outlaws managed to come together and set out on this journey, particularly the two goblins). You explain it later, but it would behoove you perhaps to do so before, maybe in the archetypal ‘heist planning’ scene. I know it’s cliche, but it's cliche for a reason. It does everything it needs to do to get the reader invested. Even so there’s a couple of problems you need to address in the narrative.

One, why they can’t use magic to begin with. if Harry and co, also on the run and much higher on the Voldemort priority list, can.

Two, why Teddy boy, who is a healer in Canon (or at least good with healing magic), cannot cure Penelope of - whatever it is she has (perhaps you should take a moment to establish that too).

Either way it should not take three separate scenes before we get to see the plan in action, particularly given that the two ones that you do have don’t seem to accomplish much at all. Setting up the heist properly also avoids the confusion as to why the squad can walk into a hospital willy nilly, and Dean gets confused for a healer for some reason.

Once you get to the heist itself, and if you’re going to have something unexpected happen that splits up Dean and Ted (which as far as I can tell are your main characters) and thus split up into two different POVs the two narratives that result have to be concurrent and affect each other. Otherwise don’t bother to split them at all, would be my suggestion. This sort of ties in with my other suggestion, which is to ditch all the unnecessary characters. Dean and/or Ted are your protagonists, but neither do they feel like such, nor do they feel like characters at all, because they barely get any screen time or defining moments (basically; get rid of the goblins, they’re seriously tripping me up). Of course, getting rid of the goblins would have to change the conflict/resolution set up in your story, but I think you need to do that anyway, as what you have right now is simply befuddling. So the Mediwitch lets Dean go in exchange for betraying the goblins only they manage to save the goblins and escape anyway? And Dean faces no repercussions? Huh? Also, where was the peril in the heist if they could have always just brute forced their way in and out.

But also, what about this was an Adventure at Hogwarts not involving Harry, you dingus. Next time I’m asking the referee to disqualify you.

I hate to start like this but don’t repeat words in the same paragraph unless you really have to. It’s just uncouth and plain and I don’t like it.

What the flibberty jibberty is all this. Punctuate your dialogue correctly please (hint: comma comma, colon)

I’m going to stop pointing this out because I see its a recurring issue but holy hell. Do you not feel something is missing here.

alley

without

alley

in lieu

alley-alley-alejandro

than

Why wouldn't horribly injured people just be apparated into their hospital beds.

‘good looking woman’ is a meaningless descriptro. If you are going to describe someone then describe them, if not, don’t bother wasting the words. This is also quite the lengthy sentence, and I don’t understand why.

Is there only one in there?

Top dollar. Dollar. DOLLAR.

The medi which, and also you use steady twice.

If your scene is four paragraphs long then you don’t have a scene, you have a snippet. A series of snippets can work as a story, but you clearly didn’t intend for it to come across like that, and, as a result, it doesn’t.

Ps: We get an Author’s Note but we don’t get a title. Feelsbadman.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

1070 words

9. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

"Pale" and drawn, not "pail."

First scene could use an editing pass - feels like an early draft - but it does a damn good job of setting the scene. I know the timeline and can place us in canon, and that means that I know the background too. The interpersonal relationships are succinctly summarized here as well. Well done.

If you choose to edit/repost this I'd consider revising some of your verb choices into more active ones - but take this with a grain of salt.

This scene feels a little disjointed - like, what plan? I get that it's a plan to go get supplies, but I'm not sure why it needs to be casually discussed during a storm like this. Maybe if you had something whip around and injure someone it would make more sense for Ted to bring it up again? Isn't he a doctor/mediwizard anyway? Or is that fanon? I can't remember.

Yeah, definitely a few awkward sentences and spellings in here. Early draft?

I like this potion idea, though part of me wants to argue that since it's not changing your body but others perception of your body it should be a spell that affects them (instead of a potion that affects you) but that's pretty minor.

The idea of magic that makes you look familiar but only to the point they feel they know you and can't place you is brilliant. Well done.

The parts involving the plan and its execution (stealing supplies? Dean was hurt? Or just covered in blood?) weren't super clear to me. But Dean's response of throwing the Goblins under the bus, but his made-up story having holes in it, felt realistic and solid.

..."Balls, balls!" though? Dean is 16-17 here, yeah? And not American. I'd go with "Shit" or "Fuck" or at least "Bollocks!"

I didn't get much buildup of suspense before or during the fight involving Lucius. I get the feeling that's supposed to be sudden and action packed and suspenseful but the emotional aspect of the scene didn't do it for me.

As for prompt usage... this isn't 'good' prompt usage, in my opinion, but it's not blatantly ignoring it either. Instead of an 'adventure at Hogwarts' we got an adventure from one of Harry's Hogwarts classmates. So it didn't involve Harry, but also didn't involve Hogwarts. But the MC is of Hogwarts age and in Harry's class, so it counts enough to avoid any issues with me. But makes me a bit less inclined to give it points.

10. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

So Dean sold them out but they saved them anyway?

I got to admit, really struggled with this one. I think having music on at the same time, having some text messages, things like that really prevented me from understanding the events of this story as I read it along. It was really difficult to 'get into'. I think, fundamentally it's the writing. You use hypotactic sentences improperly, subordinating things that have no business being subordinated. There's a big mental load in removing your punctuation and mentally inserting appropriate punctuation. Everything's quite fluffy. I read events and then immediately forget them, cus there's nothing vivid about them.

I love the idea.

I love the concept.

Love the choice in characters.

The execution is lacking, and this is purey a error in your writings thing. You can learn to fix this really quickly, and make it work. But at the moment, it's the weakest of the three entries I've read.

There's not much more significant I can say. There's not much point discussing plot, characterisation, pacing, structure etc. until you get punctuation and sentence structure down. If at some point you want to look up bite sized things on that:

Lessons from the Screenplay is a youtuber, the best youtuber - A professional filmmaker, who dissects story structure in classics.

HelloFutureMe's on writing series really dissects novel writing (as most good story stuff is more script/screen based on youtube [or essayist/reviewer rather than craft based])

Lastly, for inspiration and lived examples: Behind the curtain collects audioclips and collates interviews from famous writers.

Comma not period.

Full stop before "
    ." not ".
    pale
    should be a commas after all. Should probably be a period before 'their small frames. Should probably be a was after mound. There's nothing vivd or active here. And it just draws the mind into a grey abyss of fuzziness.

You've used abound wrong.

Comma after now, commas after insisted. The when makes the next sentence unwiedly, and would probably benefit with being lost to a comma. 's after Dirk. Period after slumped. But the phrasing's not beautiful no matter what you do to this one cus the action and the cough and the sentence is just bumpy to read.
    no comma before see. The next comma should probably be a period. Should probably be a comma before but.
    Lieu
    Muggle. Comma after hospital. Comma after said.
    Capitalised The.
    British wizard, in the 1990s. Top dollar strikes me wrong.
    Made me laugh. But very weird.

There was more. But I got tired.

Dean sold out the goblins, but they saved them. There was no meaningful consequence to his failure to be brave, to not compromises. No harm, no foul. You undercut the key event of the story.