1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Entry #4

Discussion in 'Q3 Flash Competition' started by Xiph0, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Harry had never liked Venice. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that he had never liked Torcello, a dark, forbidding town perched at the end of the Venetian Lagoon. The muggles called it Laguna Morta. The Dead Lagoon.

All they could see was the empty cathedral, and wrecked palazzos, but it was an apt name, nonetheless.

Malamocco’s sat on the edge of the wizarding town, abutting the lagoon. It was a large building, built of pale-gray Istrian limestone, but hunched over itself, as if it were hiding a secret from the neighborhood. Moorish arches glanced furtively out over the water, standing sentry for its patrons.

A melody listed out of the heavy wooden door. Distorted enough by the wood that it sounded vaguely malicious. It was a warning to him. Stay away.

Usually, Harry would have enough sense to stay out of the bar. Merlin, he would usually have sense enough to stay out of Torcello altogether. But there he stood. He took a cigarillo from its tin, lit it with a wave of his wand, and pushed his way in through the door.

A trio of skeletons in dinner dress manned the bar, mixing cocktails with mechanical precision. The drinks bubbled, fizzed, and popped as they stirred them, clouds of violet and vermillion rising from their depths.

A song floated on the stale, tobacco scented air of the bar. Harry looked up to the stage, where a stunning blonde practically nuzzled a white piano as she crooned a jazz tune. He forced his eyes away after a moment.

Harry had long learned how to navigate this kind of place, where every table hid a wand underneath it, ready to curse him to oblivion and back. He sat down at one of the round tables, and stared at nothing in particular.

A ratty looking man soon approached, so thin, that his belt was wrapped twice around his waist. He had big bulging eyes, and lips that he would flick his tongue up to moisten. Around all this he wore an ill-fitting, silk, red dress robe. Harry had no doubt that on a different man it might have been a handsome garment. Alas for it.

“You’re that auror. Harry Potter.” He had an odd accent. Lingering at the end of the word as if tasting the syllables. He licked his lips again.

“I was,” said Harry lightly. He tapped one of the glasses on the table with his wand, and it slowly filled with Blackcurrant Brandy.

“Once an auror. Always an auror,” said the man. “That’s what we always say. Isn’t that right Niko?”

A voice came from behind Harry. Soft, and slightly muted. “That’s what you always say, Jan.” Harry didn’t bother to turn. Most even peripherally involved in the affairs of dark wizards would know Niko Stamovlakis. Not many wizards were expelled from Durmstrang.

Niko Stamovlakis and Jan de Vries. The Auror office would love to take those men in. The two had their fingers in more pies than a house-elf on Boxing Day. Harry took a sip of brandy. “The Ministry wouldn’t be likely to agree.”

“The boss wants to know why you’re here,” said Stamovlakis. “You should keep your nose out of the Syndicate’s business.”

“It’s a job.” Harry knew that half the bar would have their wands trained on him in a fight, there wasn’t much love in Torcello for a former auror. He turned from de Vries, and back towards the stage. “It doesn’t concern you. Or your Syndicate.”

“You’re a detective now,” said de Vries. “We heard about that.”

“I didn’t realize my reputation extended to the Continent.”

“It pays to keep informed,” said the criminal. “Especially of someone like you.”

“Again. This job doesn’t concern you. Or your patrons. Or your boss,” said Harry. “You ought to mind your own advice. Keep your nose out of my business”

Stamovlakis snorted. ““Why would you be at Malamocco’s tonight of all nights if it wasn’t for this?” He now stepped in front of Harry’s turned gaze. The map of Athens was carved onto the man’s bull-dog face, with thick black muttonchops and heavy-lidded eyes. He flung his hands onto the table, shaking Harry’s glass. A few drops of brandy dyed the white tablecloth purple. “You must think we are stupid, trying to fool us like this.”

Harry took a puff of his cigarillo, blowing the smoke into Stamovlakis’ face. “I didn’t. But you’re making a convincing case.”

“Who was it?” asked de Vries. “The Greengrasses? Blaufaust? Dimitrescu? Who’s paying you. What’s your angle?”

“You know, it’s hard to make it as a detective if you’re going to sell out your clients,” said Harry. “You boy’s really ought to step back and reevaluate things. Have a nice cool glass of milk, and think things over.” He began to twist his wand between his fingers, its tip staying trained on the pair. “I’m not someone you want to mess with.”

“You’re going after the boss himself. Aren’t you?” Stamovlakis shook his head. “How did you even know? No one knew. We hardly did ourselves.”

Harry turned. “He’s here?” Harry stared at Stamovlakis. “The Corsican?” Half of Europe’s ministries would be swarming over Venice—and damn the treaties—if they’d had a chance to nab the Corsican. Hell, even just for a chance to reveal his identity.

He’d heard there was a ten-thousand galleon reward on his head.

That could buy a lot of brandy.

He’s here. Pfft. As if you don’t know everything already,” said de Vries. “We know you well by reputation, Mr. Potter.” He shook his head. “You killed the Dark Lord. You would never go in for some petty investigating.”

“Look de Vries, unless I’ve missed something, there is no Dark Lord around,” said Harry. He shrugged. “There isn’t much call for a head-hunter about now. I stick to personal cases. So, you really ought to butt out. You’ve got a bloody lot to lose, and nothing to gain.”

“Enough of the charade,” blustered Stamovlakis. “The boss’ orders were clear. We keep the law’s nose clear out of Torcello.” He stuck his wand at Harry, across the table, and a green light began to collect at its tip like a drop of dew. “Av-

Harry, in one movement, kicked up the table. The iron rim slammed Stamovlakis in the arm, jerking his arm up and sending the half-made curse spiraling into the ceiling. The thug lost his footing and tumbled to the ground. A stunning curse burst from Harry’s wand, only to be blocked by a swift motion from de Vries.

The crowd burst for the exits, more than a few patrons frantically packing whatever substance still sat on their tables. A man who looked half troll vaulted over three bar stools, and a vampire burst into a cloud of bats and headed for the high, arched windows.

Cutlery fell upon Harry, only to be transfigured with one sweep of his wand to butterflies, another sweep and the table reared up upon its hind legs, and began grappling with Stamovlakis, who had lost his wand in the confusion.

Harry tapped the cigarillo, still clutched between his lips, and suddenly spit it out. It grew to the size of a bludger in the air, almost picking de Vries up as it slammed him into a column. Even then, the table trapped Stamovlakis, tying him up with its iron legs like an anaconda. Harry stunned both, leaving them sprawled out against the tile floor.

Harry stared at them for a moment, but shook his head. He turned towards the stage.

The blonde singer stared at him. Her wand sat easily between two fingers, and stayed, unwavering, pointed at his heart.

“I did not expect to see you here, ‘Arry Potter.”

“You’ve got good family Gabrielle.” Harry fetched another cigarillo from its tin, and took a puff. “Your sister is worried about you. She hired me to find you.”

“Fleur?” Her eyes widened for a moment, but quickly hardened. “I did not wish to be found.”

Harry raised an eyebrow. “So, what are you? The Corsican’s Moll, or something?”

His?” She laughed. “My men were fools to start that fight. You obviously know nothing at all. I am the Corsican.”

“Oh.” Harry’s mind whirled.

“Indeed.” She smiled. “It has been such a long time, ‘Arry Potter.”

“And you have only gotten more beautiful.”

She laughed. “And you have become a flirt. Tall, handsome. Hardly the boy I had such a crush on.”

“Such is life,” he said. “Isn’t that right, Gabrielle?”

“It sounds so much better in French. C’est la vie, Mr. Potter.” Gangsters flooded the room, each with a wand trained on Harry. He looked desperately around for an exit, but saw none.

Gabrielle descended from the stage, her long evening gown trailing. She sashayed up to Harry, and traced her hand across his chest. Her breath felt hot against his ear.

“This time, I am the rescuer, non?

2. haphnepls

haphnepls Seventh Year

Now this is a start that I like.

And then there's this scene that has Harry Potter and some wizards talking, but it doesn't feel like Harry nor like Harry Potter, but I'm going through with it because I expect a great revelation. And then it comes. So the world wants her uncovered, and we have no idea why. If there were some hints, I'd missed them completely. Because we find out it's Gabrielle, I'm sad to say that I even stopped carrying why is she such a big deal. However, I am happy knowing that he got to bang a bird later. It was a good read, ngl. Not quite there, though.

3. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The intro's too long. Description of the bar, Harry sitting in said bar, Harry talking to two flunkies who get their asses kicked in absolutely zero time. It feels a little like a scene from an action movie, where the cinematographic cuts are a little too long, a little too lingering.

When the action actually starts, it's good - I might have liked a little more threat to Harry, maybe. He chumps these dudes with one hand tied behind his back, which to me makes it less feel like Harry taking out two incredibly dangerous dudes to prove his own credentials than Harry beating up two losers easily.

The Corsican being french (one presumes a reference to Napoleon?) and, more importantly, Gabrielle, is a little random. Perhaps if you had mentioned her while Harry was kicking ass and taking names, the effect would have been stronger. The mob boss being a background character all along does feel cliché, though.

I'll give this a 3/5.

4. Atri

Atri Groundskeeper

I liked this one. There's a bit of noir to it -- Gabrielle as the femme fatale, Harry as the hard-boiled detective, the two goons -- and the imagery is vivid. The writing and grammar are solid. This works well as a one-shot. A bit cliché, maybe, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. 4/5

5. Microwave

Microwave Professor

This feels like a start to a much longer story – the exposition is a bit too drawn out, what is actually happening isn’t established very clearly, and it sort of fizzles out at the end.

The setting is cool enough. I think it’s the most established part of the story. Most of the characters feel like indistinguishable goons, including Harry, with the exception of Gabrielle, who is some sort of cliché femme fatale.

2/5 because it’s not really much of a story in itself.

6. FitzDizzyspells

FitzDizzyspells Seventh Year DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I loved this. An excellent noir story, and a top contender for the winning entry.

Protagonist:
    It's DLP, so I'll allow one more hardboiled, jaded Harry Potter. This author did such a good job writing noir!Harry that I can't complain. The little quips. Blowing smoke in someone's face. Always on his guard. The clear implication that he's disillusioned with the world. The author knows exactly who this character is, and as a result, so do I.

Antagonist:
    Are Niko Stamovlakis and Jan de Vries a little clichéd? Sure. But again, the tropes are so well executed that I don't mind at all. And they're interesting enough to distract me from the big boss reveal, which I definitely didn't see coming. I should have seen it coming, which is how you know it's a good twist.

Plot:
    I love that we have no idea why Harry is there until the climax. Talk about enjoying the ride. I definitely haven't followed all the DLP comps, but still, this was my favorite duel scene in a DLP comp entry by far. I especially liked the details you interspersed during the duel:
    Climax:
    I did some very lazy Wikipedia research, to make sure I'm not getting noir and hardboiled confused. And I think this story might fall a little more into the hardboiled category:
    Perfect description of the ending of this author's story. The ending is somehow both satisfying and ambiguous, so well done for pulling that off. Harry completes his job (maybe), gets the girl (maybe), and escapes safely (maybe). Ugh! I love how you're ticking all the boxes but also not ending the tension entirely.

Dialogue:
    This is the only place where I would push the author to try a little harder. The dialogue is satisfying because it's just so in line with what characters in this type of genre should say. But that means it's slightly predicable, and the dialogue doesn't exactly sparkle all the time. The characters repeat themselves occasionally, just in a reworded way, and sometimes they say things that are obvious, which you want to avoid. I want you to escalate the danger and tension in each new line, especially when it comes to the conversation between Harry and de Vries.

Excellent last line, though.

4/5

7. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I really liked it in general, interesting take, well paced for a short story. It was a nice set up, but also felt complete. Sometimes short stories of this nature, can seem to leave you hanging, and while this did, it also felt suitable. I wasn't cheated out of more.

I'm taking a whole point off for this line, that's so fucking cliché you should feel bad.

3.2/5

8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

1493 words

9. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Great premise and idea, very original and unique, etc. I wasn't really grabbed at the start though - no 'hook' early on - but I got into it as soon as Gabrielle appeared. Which was nearer to the end rather than the beginning.

Your writing is top notch and this does feel like you put some time/research into the setting though, which I appreciate. The details and words used make this feel like another country. Kudos - that's not always easy to pull off.

Great ending line.

10. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Not a fan of how over the top the noir style is, with the cigarillo and even the cliche conversation between Harry and the gangsters. But the the twist is quite funny, the fight scene is nice, and the writing is technically good. 3.5/5

11. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    This entry took a while to get the ball rolling, but when it did, it was pretty good. The writing flows well, and I could picture very nicely the noir atmosphere. I would've liked it better if the antagonists had a bit more flair to them, but overall, the fighting scene was satisfying and I'd enjoy seeing this continued, someday. 3.5/5

12. LucyInTheSkye

LucyInTheSkye Seventh Year

I love the way you describe things, I think you have real talent for that. The place and most of the people, although as much as I loved the belt wrapped twice around the man, you then spoil it slightly by spending the whole paragraph with more descriptions of the same man. Usually describing a couple of features on a character is enough, I feel like these descriptions maybe carry too much of this story. They are really good, though, and I truly enjoyed the language in this.

As for the story, I like the concept of this au, but it does not feel like HP to me, probably mainly your Harry's fault. He is so James Bond that he feels like James Bond and the henchmen feel like they're from that type of franchise, too, especially their conversation.

I was fully expecting the blonde to be Luna, and I was getting quite excited about her as this crime boss and what she would say in the reveal. I suppose a Delacour makes more sense and fits your style better, and it's not your fault I built it up in my head, expecting nargles and conspiracy theories and canon Harry's subsequent awkwardness, and got a bit disappointed by the reveal.

13. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Harry had never liked Venice? I hate him already...OK, jokes out of the way and onto the review proper - this feels like an attempt to mash up a Joe fic and a noir detective story; that's not a criticism, necessarily, but both are hard to pull off well (even Joe doesn't always make his distinctive style stick the landing). That said, I was pretty on board with this until conversation started at the club. The two feared gangsters came across as dumb enough to be hired muscle in a kids adventure book, which put me off quite a bit. The actual fight was pleasing, in a curb stomb style, and the revelation that Gabrielle is the Corsican is an interesting one, but it felt a little abrupt.

14. Dubious Destiny

Dubious Destiny Seventh Year

The setting for this story is vivid, but it's not Harry Potter. Neither is Harry, for that matter. I didn't care for the new villain in this story and describing them as being wanted by multiple governments did not help. Describing the deeds that led to the notoriety would have served your cause better. I do like Gabrielle as you've written her. A 3/5 story in the end.

15. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

On the face of it, this has the trappings of the sort of story I enjoy, a badass older Harry, international intrigue, mooks, a femme fatale, etc.

It's a very solid piece, and my favorite so far (I'm reading through the entries in ascending order, so still got lots more to go through).

Into the meat of it then - the mooks don't feel sufficiently threatening enough and never does Harry ever feel in any danger. There's a line when he first enters the bar that says he's sure there's a wand hidden under every table ready to be pointed at him, yet when he'll breaks loose almost everyone simply runs. Now this could be because Harry has a reputation, but he's still one wizard, and it would have been more believable to see more people take a shot at him and also see him earn said reputation by having contingencies in place.

Some nice imagery sprinkled through and the beginnings of a decent mystery is slightly tainted by a stereotypical tropes cribbed from decades of private eye novel and movie, and the story doesn't do enough to stand outside the shadow of its influences. Still, pretty strong entry.

4/5

16. Niez

Niez Competition Winner CHAMPION ⭐⭐

Only thing that made me roll my eyes a bit is the thought of Gabrielle secretly being this feared mafia boss. I don't know if you've ever met one, but real mafia bosses are usually swarthy men called Boris, which is really the farthest you can be from a gorgeous blonde veela. Rest of it is fantastic though. Your description is quite vivid and original without being noticeable for it (A++), you demonstrate great ability to create ambience and set a scene (A+) and you're just about self-aware enough to pull the over the top noir thing without it becoming grating. Delightfully fun read, and I mean it. It'd have my vote for sure if I were actually voting, but unfortunately for you, I am not. I'd very much like to know who you are though. You've got clear talent, m' boy and, I suspect, some trolling tendencies, which should just about make us the best of friends.

Alright, I lied. I also caught a typo.

17. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    Honestly, if you want to know what I thought in one sentence, read Niez's feedback. He nailed it.

In my own words, I also rolled by eyes a bit about Gabrielle being the secret mafia boss. That felt a little...silly? But other than that I loved it. You did a great job setting the scene, hinting at deeper stories with Harry without telling us. I was invested and interested and eager to see what happened. I'd gladly read a sequel to see Harry's life or how he got here.

The tension building and fight scene were well handled.

It reminded me a little of Harry Dresden in the conflict build up.

Just a fun story. Nice work.

18. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

That was a great reveal. I had pretty much forgotten about the blonde playing piano. I also liked the tough guy persona Harry had. It’s a good atmospheric piece, and reminded me a lot of Noir writing - especially Chandler’s Marlowe. I wasn’t sold on smoking Harry at first, but the way the cigarillo was eventually used was good - which leads me to my favorite part. You’ve got some vivid fighting moves in that scene - I love the image of an animated table grappling with the enemy.

The writing was good as well. The only mistake I found was in this line: “You boy’s really ought to step back and reevaluate things.” Should be boys, since it’s indicating plural and not possession.

In any case, this is the kind of story where you go, yeah, I want more of this. Gimme.

5/5.