1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Entry #9

Discussion in 'Q2 2019' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, Jun 14, 2019.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Toffs​

His friends forsook him adrift an unabashed corridor of ogling eyes, and in Harry arose a bitterness so forceful as to unsettle the summer's placidity that, irritatingly, for the first time since his outburst in Dumbledore's office, threatened to mushroom into manifest rage.

He battened it down desperately with vehement judders of his trunk which followed him compartment to compartment, corridor to corridor. Everywhere it seemed curtains were drawn askew, mouths agape and chattering with the full celerity of an engorged, tangled vineyard. The gazes rapacious, irresponsibly they leered, same as had judged his godfather, sentenced him, killed him—

Harry tumbled, trunk thudding to the floor. A burly hand reached out to fill his vision, which he grasped. ”Sorry, 'm bit rushed," he mumbled-

"No, no, fault was mine..." The student who'd struck him apologised, before exclaiming. "Harry Potter!"

"That's me," said Harry darkly, "now if you'll-"

"Diggory," said his assailant, quietly. "Often spoke highly of you." At that, Harry looked up. The obverse view was a kindly round face nestled in fiery curls, smile marked faintly beneath an aquiline nose. "Benji McEwan, Hufflepuff seventh form. Here, let me make it up-don't mind them-" he nodded to the gawpers "-we've got room at our compartment, and a discreet lot we are-what do you say?"

"Er," said Harry.

"I insist." McEwan ushered. "To dispense any ill-will. And here-" He swept forward his hands as though holding up a bedsheet, twirled his wand daintily, and Harry's trunk lifted with ease. It was now, impressively, feather-light.

Harry was nonplussed as the tall seventh former strode whence he came. "It's not far off," he shouted, disappearing into the bowels of the train. Harry shrugged and followed.

'Not far off' was some four carriages down, and Harry was starting to rethink his choices when they came into view of the only compartment with drapes conspicuously free of peering faces. McEwan rapped twice, thrice, then opened the door.

"Found 'er so soon?" Rang a baritone voice.

McEwan shook his head. "Els'll be fine catching it once we're there. I ran into another friendly face in need of safe harbor."

Harry squeezed past Benji to find an odd assortment of fellows. A louche bespectacled boy lay on the floor, hand frozen over a twisting house of cards as he addressed the newcomers. Closely sat a pair of intricately plaited witches looking expectantly at him, and in the farthest corner was a flaxen-haired girl who remained transfixed by a leather-bound tome on her lap.

"Everyone, you'll know Potter of course. Potter, this is Wizzy Bexley, Ravenclaw fifth. Over here at our side are Jo Caxton and her sibling Di Ormskirk, Hufflepuffs seventh and fifth, respectively. I believe you already know Daffy from your year."

The Hufflepuffs murmured greetings while Greengrass nodded briefly without turning from the scenery beyond.

"And you've met Coppersnob, o.c." Bexley smirked at him just as his cards exploded. The girls groaned as Bexley coughed out the soot.

"That's what, the third?" Ormskirk counted off.

"I'll've the hang of it," Bexley protested before fixing Harry with a mock glare. "Come in, come in. Make yourself at home. Don't mind our antics and don't mind getting burnt." He leapt up to take Harry's trunk for him.

Harry sat across one of the Hufflepuff girls, almond eyes crinkling at him beneath prominently ridged brows and pale reddish hair. "We're not really sisters, Jo and I," she confided. "But everyone says we may as have been."

Benji took Harry's side. "Usually there'd be two more, but Els's off on praepostor duty and Marlin... who knows where."

"Probably lost in his own compartment of scholastic thoughts," snorted Bexley, who'd begun flipping through a new deck of cards.

"Better to open a book yourself every once in a while," said the older Hufflepuff girl. Harry could not, indeed, see any familial resemblance between Ormskirk's angular slightness and black-haired Caxton's broad-cheeked jawline.

Bexley scoffed. Twirling his cards in a complicated display of dexterousness, he flourished a flawless disappearing act. "When I've all the power I need here at my fingertips?" He waggled.

"It boggles how you were ever sorted into Ravenclaw." Benji laughed.

Harry could not help sneaking a glance at the reticent blonde sitting stiffly apart. His only recollection of Daphne Greengrass in all his years at school was a faint association with... Parkinson?

She'd otherwise been inconspicuous in their joint classes.

"We're the TOFFs." Bexley declared. "Know what that stands for?"

Harry had a guess but, for fear of being wrong, shook his head.

"Time-off-for-fun." Bexley turned towards Greengrass. "Daffy! Why so sober! We haven't seen you all summer!"

"Yes, come and play, Wouwou," Ormskirk implored. Greenglass glared at them beyond the confines of her pages.

"We usually get away to enjoy the occasional ball," Caxton told Harry. "But Daffy's mother seems to've put her on an insane dance schedule this summer. She simply hasn't wanted to come out as a result."

"It's a complete contradiction of who we usually are." Ormskirk laughed. "I imagine you don't get much time to yourself being who you are."

"The obligations that must come with!" Caxton said. "The public wants your reassurance, and Scrimgeour claims to be working with you personally."

"Potter seems to manage well enough." Bexley said. "Sneaking off to all those adventures we hear about at term, we should've raised him Supreme Toff long ago."

"I'm not." Harry said shortly. "Working with the Minister. And it's trouble that finds me, not the other way around."

"Well, it's what he's been telling people in private." McEwan warned, "But look, we're discomfiting Potter, and I promised we wouldn't."

The conversation dispersed away from Harry, and as he sat quietly listening to the summer contrivances of his new acquaintances, his mind unguardedly extended its interest towards the oddities that, to them, comprised the quotidian.

At noon came a knock. "Come in," said Benji. The door opened to a nervous third former who shoved a scroll at Harry.

"Delivery for Harry P-potter." She exuded scarlet and turned to flee.

"Hold." Benji said mildly. He leant towards Harry. "What is it?"

"Invitation from, um, the new professor. Lunch, it says." Harry said. His viscera twisted at the thought of venturing back in the open.

It must have shown. "Best respect a professor's summons." Benji said sympathetically. "Why don't you delay till the trolley lady's passed? It'll be a bit since the storage compartment's down the other end, but if I know these gatherings, they'll be a while anyway. You."

He shook a couple sickles at the messenger. "Have a butterbeer on me and let the good professor know Mr. Potter is momentarily indisposed, will be joining him lately."

As the third former fagged off, the girls were pulling baskets from their trunks overhead.

"Snails fresh out the garden," Caxton beamed. Greengrass wrinkled her nose. "Oh, don't be like that-see, I'm already deshelling for you." Her wand levitated each delicate apart its carapace, presented in paisley and garlic butter sauce.

Ormskirk's was half parted between a rack of smoked lamb and berries dosed with honey. She exchanged with Benji, who began slicing out the lamb as Ormskirk ladened cauliflower cheese onto pewter.

Greengrass brought forth avocado deviled eggs. "From this year's Mexican plantations." She noted. "When last our American cousins visited."

"Just a snack, old sport." Winked Bexley who handed over a crock of gherkins. Harry both marveled at their efficiencies and regretted he had nothing to share.

That moment came a rapping on the door, and a tall brunette tumbled in from the corridor to land on her feet with a deftness that belied her fullness of figure.

"Am I late?" She asked breathlessly.

"Not at all." Benji said calmly, passing her a plate.

"Do start. Don't let it get cold." Ormskirk called out as she finished plating.

"Treats from the prefects' quarters." The new girl squeezed in with the other ladies, held up a kerchief which unfolded into a veritable picnic blanket filled with assorted chopped savouries. "And elderflower water. Golly was it packed to get here."

"Potter, this is our high-flyer Els Ellesmere, Ravenclaw seventh. Els, you know Potter." Benji introduced around a mouthful of lamb and cheese.

"Oh!" Ellesmere finally sighted Harry. "Hello! My friends call me Quirkes. Or Els." She added with an afterthought.

"Have you seen Marlin?" Bexley asked, crunching down noisily.

Ellesmere shook her head. "I thought you of all of us would've known. Marlin's got special dispensation for a writ of conveyance. He won't be joining us till shortly into term."

"Bloody Marlin." Bexley guffawed.

Ormskirk's eyes widened. "They give them out!”

"... details?" Caxton sounded out worriedly.

Ellesmere nixed the question. "Only that it should be brief."

"What's the big deal?" Harry asked Benji sotto voce, whose brow had furrowed.

"Writs are rarely sought and rarely given." Benji said. "When the Ministry bent the magical communities to its authority, it demanded all Hogwarts attendees ride the Express if they were to enroll for term. The only exception has ever been the most emergent of circumstances beyond the reach of wizardry."

"Or witchcraft." Sparks burst from Ellesmere's wand as she jabbed the air.

"The Bexleys've attended Hogwarts through continuous generations since the 1500s, shirked not a year through the Great Wizarding War, the Pureblood Riots, Grindelwald's Uprising, the Dragon Pox Scare of 1907, Tugskiff's Currency Rebellions, the Mandrake Fevers, the other recent Pox Scare of 1873." Bexley recited, proudly. "Not in all that time since the Great Locomotor Heist has the family been granted dispensation."

"... a wretched overreach of ministry powers," sniffed Ormskirk.

"There are functional advantages to the Express." Benji reasoned. "Not least the accumulated protections over multiple headmasters."

Caxton protested. "McEwan, for shame-" It was then the door opened for the food trolley. The party leapt to their feet, Harry following belatedly.

"Madam." Benji said warmly. "We've already prepared a spread. But it would yet improve with the usual order of pumpkin pastries." He tendered an offering of sickles.

"I could refill my stash of Drooble's." Bexley added to Benji's pile. "Great experimental utility." He snapped his fingers.

"Two cauldron cakes," submitted Greengrass. "Please."

"You boys and girls are always so delightful," giggled the trolley witch. "If there's anything else, you can find me at the front with the driver."

The door closed, and the purchasers bustled to pack away their bounties before resuming session.

"When she rolls back around," Benji said to Harry. "That's your cue." Harry continued to stare, and Benji chuckled. "Term can get so busy and with the right freezing charms, one can never have enough pastries... legend has it she makes them herself."

"Legend has it she's been here forever," Ellesmere marveled.

"My gran-gran always warned me never to cross the trolley witch." Ormskirk whispered.

Greengrass coughed. She tapped the book at her side.

Caxton snorted. "Yes. Wouwou." She turned to Benji.

“To dance

to no one else's fiddle, foster and advance

one's private self alone; before gold braid and power

with neither conscience, thought, nor spine to cower;

to move now here, now there with fancy's whim for law,

at Nature's godlike works feel ecstasy and awe,

and start before the gifts of art and joyous adoration

—there’s bliss for you! These are your rights…”

It was as though a string had been plucked and reverberated, upon whose fading Harry felt suddenly self-conscious of having been caressed by a primeval reservoir beyond his parochial ken. The compartment stirred.

"Harrington's Last..." Ormskirk murmured.

"A bit dated but serviceable." Bexley nodded.

"Fine recitation of the old words." McEwan said gravely. "I naturally cannot deny their truths, but has it occurred to you there are ways their forms might extend beyond the preserves of our grandpères?

"Take the very locomotor in our discussion. It began its existence a thing of the Ministry's. One hundred fifty years it has performed its service, absorbed the magics of generations and borne the enchantments of their headmasters. One hundred fifty years it has intermediated betwixt Hogwarts and its dearest occupants. Would its nature not align with its employ?

"How can we be completely sure the Ministry's authority holds? In such a milieu, what has it to do with our selves not to have earned any dispensations?"

The girls waffled mutinously.

"There's one amongst us now who's done it." Greengrass broke the silence. "Our second year, if I recall."

They all looked at her who was looking at Harry, whereupon ensuing fuss scattered the tenor of their prior deliberations.

"You mean-"

"Third year-"

"The flying-"

McEwan cut through. "The rumours were true?" They all peered at Harry.

Harry blinked, it'd seemed so long ago. "Yea. Yea, if you mean Ron and I flew his dad's car to Hogwarts."

Ormskirk and Caxton cackled maniacally. "Brilliant," breathed Ellesmere. Bexley seemed speechless for once.

"I didn't get a dispensation or anything, though. It was only because Malfoy's house-elf locked us outside the platform, and when we got to school Dumbledore threatened to expel us if we ever did something like that again."

"Malfoy!" A collective shudder seemed to pass through the girls. Even Greengrass frowned at that, whereas the boys waved it on.

"Lucky you didn't get suspended from term." Benji grinned admiringly.

"Where's the muggle cair now?" Bexley asked, eager.

"I thought you knew. You must've heard." Harry said.

"We did." Benji said wryly. "But we're not the sort to rely on the ragtales that ensnare the drips out there."

He waved thereabouts. "I do hope you think better of us than that."

Harry paused to that thought. "Well, we crashed it into the Whomping Willow and it went stark wild — roams around the Forbidden Forest to this day."

Bexley wiped an imaginary tear. "A beautiful story."

"There's the trolley witch making her way back." Ellesmere called out. "I should be getting back to prefects' quarters also — corridor's finally clear."

~~~~~~ Interlude

Harry lay on his back turtled up, nose throbbing as it bled. His mouth tasted iron mixed with sweat as he strained to summon his wand. Fixed fruitlessly in position, Harry focused all his shame and rage on the imagined pleasures of humiliating Malfoy's supercilious father, his contemptuous mother, the snot himself... his aunt Lestrange...

Somewhere far off window glass burst, but his wand was no closer.

The last few footsteps were echoing off when he heard the door slide open.

'Over here!' He screamed silently. 'I'm here!'

A foot snagged his side, and Daphne Greengrass tumbled awkwardly over him.

"He's over here." She pulled off his cloak as she stood. "You write the others. Reparifors." She incanted, and he felt his body relax and the bleeding slow.

"Thanks." He pushed himself into a sitting position and picked up his wand. Greengrass had been addressing Benji, who now proffered a hand to pull him up. Footsteps outside hastened closer; Bexley, Caxton, and Ormskirk stood beyond the doorway. Hermione, Ron, and Neville were with them.

"We worried when you didn't return for your things, luckily found your friends who said Zabini was with you last." Benji handed Harry a makeshift flannel. "It wasn't hard for Daffy to make the connexion from there."

Harry regarded Greengrass, who refused to look at him, with renewed gratitude.

"Come on." Hermione dabbed hurriedly at Harry's nose. "You can change once we're outside... they're about to leave." Ron and Neville heaved their trunks alongside Harry's.

Rushing onto the platform, Hermione and Ron kept glancing towards the others as though they couldn't believe such a group — with a Slytherin at that — had made Harry's rescue.

"See you get that nose taken care of and best of luck this term." Benji shook Harry's hand at they parted.

"Oh, and the toffs meet every so often — if you're inclined." He winked.

"Yea. Er. I don't think I'd mind." Harry had had an uncommon time.

The others nodded their farewells and got in their carriage.

"Potter." Greengrass spoke. He looked at her, past the tousled fringes of hair into cool grey-blue eyes.

"You have my condolences."

The words hung there arrestingly, and then she stepped away.

~~~~~ End Chapter One

2. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This prose is so purple it made me immediately think this entry was a parody of something. If it's not meant to be, well... fix your shit. Goddamn. I mean, you had me so completely and genuinely bamboozled that when I read the word "trunk" in the second sentence I took Harry for a fucking elephant.

And that same sense continues throughout the entire thing. Every paragraph hits me in the face with more weird descriptions, sentence structure that feels like the result of running something through Google Translate five times in six different and totally unrelated languages - one of which is presumably R'lyehian - and just general brain-bustingly odd shit. (I'll've?)

I honestly can't comprehend this; attempting to honestly critique this on how the story goes would reduce me to a gibbering wreck. If this story is taken by what I did understand of it, there's a scene where Harry is invited to join a bunch of vaguely-twatlike people in their carriage just before sixth year. Daphne is peripherally involved.

0/5.

3. Microwave

Microwave Professor

Put away your thesaurus, and put take away about 90% of the adjectives, there's no point of any of this ridiculously purple prose. Half of the sentences are incoherent just because of how embellished they are.

Similarly to the language, the plot seems to be completely incoherent. I might have the attention span of a goldfish, but I'm sure none of it actually starts anywhere and none of it actually leads anywhere. A bunch of characters are introduced, but none of them seem to do anything besides add to the increasingly ridiculous incoherent sentences.

Seriously, it's like you entered adjectives into an online thesaurus, kept going at every single possible option until you ran out, and entered them all into the same sentence, it's ridiculous.

It doesn't really even fit the prompt, if there were any requirements for the prompt. Daphne isn't much more than a passing mention, and nothing happens at all in the entire story.

0/5 because I can't exactly go lower than that.

4. Longsword

Longsword Banned

The way this has been written does not feel like Harry Potter at all.
    So purple that it may have been a Dickens-writes-HP story.
    Don't even know how to rate it. The plot is incomprehensible.

5. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Tag-beat errors.

Okay, where to even begin with this story? It's an incomprehensible wreck of purple prose. To quote myself:

"Purple prose is when your words become so over-embellished with adjectives, adverbs, and metaphors that it becomes difficult to understand and hurts your story. When the reader has to stop and take a minute or five to process what the fuck you just wrote, that’s purple prose"

And I had to read this many, many times to figure out what the fuck was going on. The prose is overbearing, burdensome, and does nothing to further either setting, worldbuilding, character or plot. It's just a fancy way of saying "Harry walked down the hall. He's moping"

Only to be disappointed, because fuck all happened. Harry is moping, boo hoo, he meets a bunch of posh twats, they exchange pleasantries and introductions and literally nothing else happens of note. This isn't a story, and I'm not going to pretend it is. If you told me a machine learning AI put this together by scrapping a thesaurus and bad fanfiction, I wouldn't be surprised.

It has no plot, no pacing, no interesting characters and nothing of value. That I spent more time writing this review (twelve minutes, seventeen seconds) than reading this should tell you how annoying I find this story.

0/5 shitpost.

6. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Prospectus

This fine chronology was, to the utmost, borne upon a prosaic composition of superlative genius. The surfeit of verbiage is, indubitably, the auspice of a discerning literary Polypheme. Indeed, seldom does an apologue of such anomalously unparalleled éclat crest DLP's arete. Some ignoramuses will lament this pulchritudinous travail as an effort of remarkably saturated mauve, but I decry these mumpsimuses, for their philistine nature is but to be proven congenital.

Alas, such unequivocably fine circumlocution is beset by a dramatis personae as meagre in titillation as they are multitudinous. Irrefutably, it is imperative to acquaint your book fanciers with the eclectic troupe that comprises the upstanding fellowship of TOFFs, alack, I must acknowledge a sense of disquietude that their incorporation into the movement subsidised negligibly the delectation of this literary morsel.

Furthermore, I postulate that this narrative is little more than declamation, with a plot as devoid of substance as to be positively emaciated. In the words of the inestimable luminary Scroobius Pip, this story furnished "such little food for thought, my fucking brain feels anorexic". Alas, given the celestial quality of the prose, the qualitative substance of this bildungsroman is Lilliputian; a forgivable transgression if not for the imponderable metamorphosis of our protagonist.

Architecture

Alright, so I honestly can't keep that up for as long as you, and I honestly think you're owed some credit in that regard. I understand that this is a joke of some kind, but without the knowledge of the author's identity, I can't tell if this was deliberately written to tweak the nose of DLP for being pretentious, or whether it's just written as a generally humorous concept. Either way, it's honestly a good joke, and generally well executed.

That said, the joke was drawn out a little long for my tastes. My experience was that I was at first amused, then frustrated (which is good in this context), then amused, and then bored. I think this last emotion is problematic for the joke because it indicates it has gotten stale and is probably the point that you would lose a reader. Presumably, an objective of the joke is to keep them reading as long as possible. There was a point around the 3/4ths mark that if I weren't reading for review, I'd have dropped it. If that was the case, that last 1/4th becomes a wasted effort.

As an actual piece of writing, I can't help but feel that you could have eeked a little more humour out of it by focusing a little more on Harry as the straight man of the proceedings. Not too much, of course, because anything repetitive eventually becomes tiresome, but just enough to keep your reader hooked into the fiction, and stop the events of the story from becoming entirely overwhelming and incoherent.

Grandiloquence

Your magniloquent style has this habit of falling apart from time to time, which is presumably because it's an extremely time-consuming process, and also because there's presumably an effort/reward ratio that needs to be preserved. That said, there are a few spots where it's thin enough that you can see through to an unsophisticated style that rather lets the piece down.

Additionally, while you have a plethora of pretty great adjectives, you occasionally fall into the easy route of pairing a weak verb with a grandiose adverb which, again, rather spoils the effect you're going for.

There's not an awful lot more to be said here. If this were the sort of piece where you were concerned with the technicalities of writing, then there's a bit that could be said about your dialogue beats, the relationship between the viewpoint character and the prose, and about word flow, but that's all a bit irrelevant here.

Denouement

In any other context I'd give this joke a 3/5 for style and call it a day. Unfortunately, given the context of the competition, and the prompts, I can't give it more than a 1/5.

I'm not going to bother giving this two things to work on, because I feel that would be wasted effort on my part, but I will give the following piece of advice: submitting a well written joke to a serious competition is, indeed, funny, but if that joke goes on to win the competition, it's much, much funnier.

Just some food for thought.

7. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What is with the insane purple prose? Why is the Hogwarts Express important exactly? Why are there random long as hell poems? Why did this story go nowhere basically? Daffy?

So much stuff could've been done with this, like I dunno a fight between Harry's new friends and the slytherin's with Draco. Instead I found myself skimming this and being bored by the incessant pretentiousness.

0/5

8. Raigan123

Raigan123 Banned

This does nothing for me. I didn’t understand most of the prose or rather it caused me headaches so I started skipping everything except for the dialogue. Then I started skipping the dialogue for the same reason. It just doesn’t seem like a story and more like an exercise in writing difficult prose.

I don’t know how to write 200 words for this so this will have to do.

1/5 because it’s not absolute shit.

9. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

(Haven't read the other reviews)

General Opinion:

Ahh, those halcyon diurnals whence mine band of jibber-jabbers when felt we everything and more lies ahead, what with the future yet to come. Stew and rum? Not likely in se'en night yet always small mercy is interdependent on the relatedness of motivation, subcultures, and scholarly management.

The good:

Utter nonsense woke the prime man, utter nonsense is not enough. Love is the prime motivator and the clear star that is yesterday shoots friends with foes. Well, we got that and more than that, I'd pontificate! Harry quickly learns the person you were before has its world rocked by earthly rock (or river). An idea is running away, but in motion cannot truly sit with the gravity of a phenomenon.

The bad:

Don't think it really did much with the prompt. That's it really.

Edit: ffs enembee already did it.

There's a lot of spelling mistakes in here. It's hard to read and the structure is absent. I'd love to see your plan for this and see how we could turn it into at least a real attempt at a short story.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  10. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

If there was a joke at the end of that I would have to read it all again to find it and I am not prepared to do that. I don't mind purple prose, bit it needs to be upheld by clear sentence structure, purpose and rhythm to make it readable. Your weak structure renders this nearly unreadable. Everything is over embellished, which means nothing stands out and it all descends into a mess.

Also I am going to guess you are not British. I have never met anyone who talks half way out of an Enid Blyton book. Your use of 'posh' British vernacular is distractingly wrong.

I am not sure what any of this had to do with Daphne other than the fact she was physically present.

This feels overly negative. I doing thing there is anything particularly wrong with being wordy, but there is a lot of invisible scafolding that underpins a good florid writing style. If this is something you want to emulate. I would concentrate on improving that more in the future rather than adding more words to your vocabulary.

2/5 Thank you for entering.

11. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    First of all, kudos to you for keeping up the purple prose for as long as you did. That takes effort, and I can appreciate effort.

Is it bad that I cannot tell whether this is supposed to be a parody or a slightly “out there”-ish attempt at a serious fic? Even if it is the former, you still have way too many OCs, none of whom are particularly unique and all of whom seem determined to be more ridiculous than the next. And while exaggeration is the bread and butter of a good parody, too much is too much.

As for prompt use, Daphne was barely in this one. Very barely. She probably had less lines than the random third-year student that bust into the compartment and was gone about a minute later. I should have thought she would be front and centre of the lively Toffs In an entry such as this one. Instead, she’s basically the same character fanon usually portrays her as, only with considerably more quirky friends.

And while, once again, I appreciate the effort that went into your personal thesaurus showcase, I did find myself enjoying the entry’s unique selling point less and less as time wore on. All in all, a 1.5/5, rounded up to 2/5 from me.

12. 9th Doctor

9th Doctor Groundskeeper

So this was something that as I read through, I wished that you'd exclusively kept the purple prose to the TOFFs. If you'd had a normal walk down the train cars, and then as soon as he walks into the TOFFs compartment everything goes purple- make it a requirement to be there, Ravenclaws acting goofy with words, Hufflepuffs attempting to sound smarter than usual, etc. Make a point of when they're together, out comes the purple, but when they leave it's back to normal.

A small group looking to get together and just relax without societal expectations makes me think of Fight Club, and you could gradually have Harry running into more and more situations with the different TOFFs. You could either take it the way of a full mental break down (Time off for fun- forever!) and go some kind of Joker mentality, or you could have him create more and more TOFF Clubs (Like Tyler Durden in Fight Club), make Daphne his Marla.

As it is, very difficult to read, but I enjoyed the plot bunnies that it gave.

13. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

So really it's just such a slog to read. Is this a troll post that is trying to be as obtuse as possible, or is it someone who truly believes that fancier words equals better story? I'm inclined to believe the former, but even if it is a joke it doesn't change the fact that it's just annoying.

What's the point of it, anyway? Is it supposed to be a parody of Wizard high society, or a parody of fanfic authors who over indulge their thesaurus fixation? It doesn't really work on either of those points, if those points were in fact what you were going for.

Beyond how annoying it is to read, the story is just not even a real story, and I think it doesn't even fit the prompt either. You have a reason for Daphne (Daffy is a supremely annoying name--was that what you were going for?) to be involved in the story because you're attempting to set up this high society club at Hogwarts, but she's barely even involved. She has a few lines and is in the background. Why not have Daphne be the one who introduces Harry to the TOFFs instead of your Hufflepuff OC?

I am just baffled by it if it's meant to be serious, and bored and un-amused if it's meant to be funny. 0/5

14. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

Being, as I am, a lowly individual not unlike excrement, as evidenced by my own procrastination until the twilight of the time for reviewing competition entrees fell upon this fair site to begin my own efforts to provide feedback, this review will be abrupt in its very nature. Furthermore, it should also be noted that I have not diligently kept abreast of the feedback previously given to this fine tale - indeed, for this masterpiece I have read no other comments whatsoever. For all of my failings, I beg your forgiveness. To the first of my failings, please feel free to solicit further commentary from me after the sun sets on this competition. To the other, if I have repeated the words of others then I implore to let those words ring ever more loudly for my repetition.

It is possible that our glorious lord in Cheddar might close the competition before I see my labors to their end, but quite regardless I will see this burden borne unto the end. For if you write it, they will come.

Verily, a tale is woven from a triad of fibers:
    1. The magniloquence of the prose employed - for one such as I, this fiber is weighed upon the merits of evocation in language and singularity in style. However robust these qualities might be, however, a mandatory minimum exists for grammaticality.
    2. The preeminence of those persons featured within - this topic is undoubtedly far too grand to diminish with too few words, nonetheless one might endevour to set others on the right track by utilizing a series of questions conducive to planning a story of repute. Such questions potentially include: Do the persons in question feel as though they might approximate our own existence? Can we, through use of imagination and our own reasoning place ourselves within the construct of the persons described, rendering ourselves able to imagine their own struggles and paths? Do the described persons serve their own natures, or does the writer bend them to the writer's will without recourse? Diverting topic but not receding none in importance, one might wonder if those persons described are interesting or else insipid? Though all measure the leagues according to their own measure, banal persons at the center of the story without the composition of Plato or the narrative of Tolstoy will drive legions of those who might have otherwise partaken in one's writings away, never again to be seen.
    3. The caliber of the narrative - much like properly expressing the preeminence of the persons described in a given tale, it can be difficult to set an aspirant on the path to crafting a narrative of merit. Queries conducive to guiding said aspirant are alike to those which follow: Does the tale woven touch the very heart of any who should hear it? Do only the wisest grasp it's nature? Might it make the stones weep? What purpose is it that drives you, o' writer, what muse whispers in your ear? The last query is a heavy consideration, thus I humbly submit it is ripe for repetition: What purpose is it that drives you, o' writer, what muse whispers in your ear?
    But really, y tho?