1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

Euro 2012

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Ecthelion, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

Hell of a save after Pol's goalie got the red.

2. Lukaskr

Lukaskr Fourth Year

So disappointing...

Russia looks very strong.

3. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves High Inquisitor

4-1? Wow, Russia really pulled out all the stops

I reckon they're feeling a mite more confident now.

4. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

The lack of good defenders is a typically Dutch thing over the years, and especially the last 4-6 years. It is probably the only reason why van Marwijk keeps picking Nigel 'Karate-kick' de Jong on midfield over more offensive options like Strootman or van der Vaart. Granted, the former lacks experience. Personally, I'd be happy if de Jong never got invited again, and I hope that I won't be utterly ashamed to be Dutch in 19h. The conduct in the WC Final was atrocious.

As seems to be the norm, it's the goalie's job to keep the Dutch in it. Stekelenburg is positively decent by the standards set in the later van der Sar years, but whether it'll be enough for another run to the finals... I doubt it. If it's not the group stage that's the limit, it's going to be Russia or Spain in the QF or SF. I can't see Germany not win the group and the same goes for Spain and Russia.

On a different note, I still can't believe that there was so much drama in the opening game. Did Poland send out their U-19's for the second half or something, because that was just plain bad. Apart from the saved penalty, which was awesome.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  5. JimmyCranberry

JimmyCranberry High Inquisitor

Dzagoev looks dangerous, and Russia will cruise through the group stages.

Just watch how England fail massively. We do it every time, and it always makes me laugh.

Torn between Holland and Germany for the title... Spain have a great team, but I'm not sure they are quite as good as they were back in 2010. Holland and Germany, on the other hand, have only gotten better.

6. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

My feeling is that it's really the Germans' time to win something. They're consistently in the finals and semis of big tournaments, but fall slightly short. In terms of the generation they have, this is a great moment for them. The way I remember it, the integrity of their team rests entirely on Schweinsteiger anchoring the midfield, and I don't know if they have anyone near that solid coming through in the younger generation. His sense of positioning in 2010 was just phenomenal.

So for me that's the key, because if he's slightly off, the defense will be exposed. And honestly, for all the incredible young talent the Germans have been coming up with recently, I doubt the team will get better in the next few years (at least on paper).

7. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Denmark for the Euros anyone?

How on earth did the Dutch not score there. They has so many great chances. I've never seen Van Persie play so badly, his touch in the box was just awful. They are really going to struggle to get through this group now, but I wouldn't completely rule them out. They were a bit unlucky with that decision on the handball, should have been a penalty.

Now then, Portugal to beat Germany?

8. Anme

Anme Professor

If Van Persie and Huntelaar had been better in finishing today the Dutch would have beaten Denmark fairly easily so I don't think that Denmark will go for the Euros. Nevertheless the Netherlands are pretty much out of the competition. I don't see them winning from Germany and they really need to now.

Germany won't have the same happen against Portugal.

9. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Groundskeeper

LoL Dutch.

Seriously, everybody's prediction of Dutch and Spanish final just got....

But Netherlands themselves are to be blamed, missing so many chances and that too by RVP(just:facepalm). I think Robben and Afellay were at times too selfish and could have passed but credit to Danes for being composed and solid throughout. Seeing today's performance I don' see Oranje passing group stages. Group of death turned into group of....death.

10. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

Huh, Germany didn't play a very impressive game, but a win is still a win, I suppose.

11. Doctor Whooves

Yeah. Shame about that.

The win, I mean; not the playing.

12. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

This, pretty much. Two wins are needed to get into the QF if the Danes beat or draw Portugal. I don't see Germany losing to the Danes - though a draw could be doable if it gets both of them through.

The 'what-if' game would be most amusing if Portugal beats Denmark, though. That'd create all sorts of interesting last day permutations - it's entirely possible for the group to end with Germany on 9 and the rest on 3 points in that case, at which point it's down to "who got their win with the best GD / most goals scored", if I read the rules right.

I don't think that's a realistic scenario, though. The Germans weren't that strong tonight, but I do feel that their play as a team was a level up from the Dutch, which suffered from a sore, sore lack of both finishing and support from midfield. Van Bommel and de Jong rarely came forward and it was usually just the four up front trying to create something, sometimes with Willems for support. Comparing that to the Germans and knowing that Willems is just not cut out for this level just yet... Stekelenburg is going to have a busy night, I think.

13. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

The Russia-Czech Republic game had me wondering for a moment if the Czechs had been paid off. Such woeful defending! Neglecting the Euros for a sec, who saw Messi just strut his stuff all over the Brazilians?

14. Bill Door

I think that Ireland were a bit unlucky in that game. I mean that third goal was just a fluke coming off the post to hit Given. And then we had a stone wall penalty turned down. But we really didn't play at our best, we never got near their midfield for the first 60 minutes. Still, I suppose we'll just have to win the next two games, shouldn't be too hard, it's only Italy and Spain. Neither of them have won anything in ages.

I think that Italy probably deserved the win earlier, they had the better attacks for most of the game. Spain lacked any real threat without a striker, and when they had one Torres was horrendous. It looks like they're really going to miss David Villa in this tournament.

At this point none of the real favourites for the tournament have impressed me, none have looked like they will walk away with it. I'll be interested to see how France go tomorrow, I think they could really destroy England.

15. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

To be fair, the teams that look best during the group stages often disappoint later on, and conversely the teams that end up going far often have a bad game early. The main thing in the group stages is to go through, not to look pretty.

With that in mind, Germany still look good. I wouldn't be too worried about the Netherlands, but their group is so good that it's likely they won't even go through. Spain may have a real problem with their lack of striker.

16. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery Prestige

High Score:
    Very close game midway through in Donetsk... France and England both at 1 goal a piece... 30th for Lescott (Gerrard free kick glances off Lescott's face) and 39th for Nasri (Gerrard tries to block, ends up blocking Hart's view, Nasri's shot through a little gap beats Hart to his right lower corner). Possession looks to be about the same, though I think England has been stronger thus far.

My prediction: England takes it 2-1... Andy Carroll comes on as a sub for Walbeck and heads home a Gerrard corner.

17. Doctor Whooves

One all at half time - we've had some good chances. Shame about the equaliser; it'd be nice to go into the quarters with a few clean sheets

EDIT: Grrrr. Ninja'd.

18. Bill Door

I hope to god that was the worst game in the tournament. Because I think I'll kill myself rather than sit through another one of those. Both teams were perfectly happy to play for a draw. France were just sitting there forty yards from goal passing it from side to side, and England just stood there and let them.

The only positive thing I can think of for that game is at least the refereeing was better than in most of the previous games. Although a red card or two might have livened things up a little.

19. Peteks

Peteks Unspeakable

Milner is shit. Can't fucking score on empty net, and that terrible back pass, lucky Hart was awake and came quickly off his line to block the shot...

And the game was boring. Played at a pace more suitable to 40 years+ leagues...

20. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

Italian crew. ;)

And with the economy Europe has as of late, no one can afford to buy them.