1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey DLP authors, there's a bit less than a month left to wow us with your story about Daphne or Azkaban.

The Author applies the words to the paper or it gets the hose. Write or die! The more the merrier.

Click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

Europe/UK Travel Suggestions

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Nazgus, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Nazgus

Nazgus Chief Warlock

Any dates when it'd be better/worse to visit? If not I'll file it under "Fit it in somewhere" for checking after the date specific stuff is set. Massive LOTR nerd, so I will 100% be visiting the pub!

We made a Facebook group for trip planning, so I posted there with a Friday deadline for me to book my own ticket. Looks like there's still plenty of space at the hostel though, so I should be good.

Thanks again for the tip on this!

From Mexico lol, perfectly fluent Spanish speaker. Will definitely check out the suggested foods/drinks while there. Thanks for the rest of the travel tips! Alhambra looks amazing and I'll definitely check it out while I'm in the area.

Don't have any camping things and aren't sure I want to bother with repeated rentals so I'll probably be sticking with day trips.

Sounds like I should take one of them on the way to Skye and the other on the way back then? Thanks for the reccs for Snowdonia! Will check them out and start planning it.

Not 100% sure I want to do the National Trust thing, it's not very expensive but I'm just not sure what I'll be doing yet. If it starts to look like I'll be going to a bunch of them then I'll look at it again. Thanks for the info though!

I'll be coming back to all of this info later once I have a better idea of how much time I want to set aside for hiking, but thanks so much for the super detailed advice!

Would April/May count as late enough to make the drive? And which side of the road do people drive on there, because if it's the left like in the UK I'm not gonna trust myself to ignore 6 years of instincts on that... Viking museum sounds super fun though, so I'll hit up Oslo if nothing else!

Haven't started looking at prices yet, but I have a sizable amount of money to spend on travel. Seeing the Northern Lights seems like an experience that would suck to miss out on, so hopefully things work out and I'm able to check it out.

2. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Headmaster DLP Supporter

Yeah, this is why I actually suggested renting a car - the bus is great actually, but I've never taken one more than an hour or so and don't know how the connections work, although it's all along the same highways I guess so it's probably pretty decent. Never taken a cab anywhere, I traveled there a lot in official capacity so always had either a driver of sorts or a car to myself.

They drive on the right, you're safe! April/May should do nicely up to Tromsø, and by May you should be good to go all the way north if you wanted to go extra crazy. Bit remote in places though. :)

3. sonder

sonder Third Year

As I understand it, the United Kingdom has very liberal rambling laws so you should be able to walk the entire isle from end to end if you so want to. The Ramblers’ Association might be of service in that respect.

4. Sorrows

Sorrows Order Member Prestige DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Eeeh there are rights of way (which are footpaths and bridlepaths) across a lot of private farm land. But you'll run into some very shitty farmers if you stray off these routs. It's more liberal up in Scotland. IN general if the land is uncultivated (nobodies growing crops of or grazing livestock) such as woods, moors, meadows and hills, you're usually allowed to walk through it unless otherwise sign posted.

5. vlad

vlad Banned Prestige

High Score:
    Just don't be like vlad and not pay attention and fall waist deep into a hole of mud and shit in a field with a bull in it. Even the right to roam won't protect u. Nor will your brother and father who will just laugh their asses off at yur facial expression.

Echo what Sorrows said, although if a farm crosses a recognized footpath, farmers are required to provide through access. They can however limit that access to the edge of field or what have you, so sometimes you have to be extra diligent to make sure you really are where you need to be.

Fun fact though, the 'right to roam' also gives u 'the right to watercolour', which I find charming.

6. Nazgus

Nazgus Chief Warlock

Anyone here know Poland well? I'm planning a visit to see Auschwitz, and the current plan is to do an early flight on Saturday to Warsaw, then a Sunday morning train down to see Auschwitz, then Monday for Kraków.