1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Q4 2019 Story Competition is kicking off!

Prompt:
    Foreign Magical Regions (Setting outside of Britain)
    Get writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice

European Elections 2019

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Sesc, May 26, 2019.

1. Distaly

Distaly Fifth Year

I have no idea what you want to tell us. There was no chance in hell I would vote for them for this very reason. Their second candidate was a sexist asshole and not fit for a role in parliament. Julia Reda herself called out to not vote for the pirat party (and she was no longer a candidate). I don't if they best support my view on this topic if they so fundamently disregard my take on democratic and human rights.

2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

... the point is that the scandal was irrelevant, because the party is irrelevant. They were around 1% before this happened, and they are around 1% after it happened. And obviously, that's entirely leaving aside that this is the second place on the German list, the other lists didn't have that issue. I'm saying this can't be squared with getting all huffy over a law under the assumption that it's a burning issue for the majority of people. Or even, the majority of young people.

Which is not to say protests are pointless and shouldn't happen. But it is to say that the people that expressed their opinion there are just another group with a particular interest, and while that, again, is perfectly fine, it does compete with other groups with different particular interests, and thus creating such a law is not "undemocratic", "ignoring millions", "being out-of-touch with the people" or whatever else was levelled against the MEPs.

Just ticks me off. It's annoying enough when the far right's idea of democracy is "whatever I say". No need to copy that.

3. Celestin

Celestin The Cursed Child

The final count in Poland is a lot worse for opposition. PiS 45.38% to KE 38.47% with only one more party, Spring 6.06%, elected to the European Parliament.

As someone said, while it's not a total disaster for the opposition, it's definitely a total win for the ruling party.

Not only they got the highest percentage vote ever, but, something that nobody is mentioning in the media, they total count is much better than in the previous Polish parliamentary election that had a higher turnout. In 2015 they had 37.58% with ~5 700 000 votes and 50,92% turnout. Now they have 45.38% with 6 200 000 votes and 45.68% turnout.

In other words, their win wasn't just about mobilizing their voters as I previously suggested, but they simply gained at least 500 000 new ones.

4. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Loosely related, something more wonky. Click for larger.

EU elections.png

That's a cross section from the west of Germany to Ukraine or whatever the end of the world is called. So you see ... the AfD winning 33% of all votes is unpleasant. Then again, it's not winning 65%.

Y u strange Polski :( Do you not have a thing called schools in "Podkarpackie"? Or is there something in the water? Explain :|

5. Celestin

Celestin The Cursed Child

It's the wealth. The west Poland is richer than the east Poland. The unemployment in the west is around 5% when the east has around 10%. All the money that PiS gives to people has a much bigger effect on these parts of Poland, making them more motivated to vote on them because they worry the next party will take it all away. As long as they can keep it up, they will have these votes, but once the finances collapse with the next financial crisis, it could change if they can't put a blame on someone else.

6. Dagro

Dagro Third Year

Two things I want to note for Germany: The Pirate Party self destructed a long time ago, I think a restart of the party would not suffer the same problems, simply because people learned a lot about new fast growing partys in the last few years. What to do and not to etc. How to lay a solid groundwork that leaves less room for volatile party member action. The AfD had a similar fate, but instead of chosing self destruction, it embraced the cancer. (see split with nationalist wing, party founder Bernd Lucke left etc.) Another bad thing for the pirates is, that if you only really care about their topics, you might as well vote Die Linke (far left), they cover these topics aswell, and at least where I am at, they have worked together very well in the past.

Secondly: The satire party Die Party actually does good opposition work, regularly makes mean fun of the right people and can talk about topics and issues in a way that no other party can. If you don't really care about how you look, you can salt some wounds nearly no else would touch. When they first started I was really sceptical of them, also since they poached a lot from other opposition partys, and while I wouldn't vote for them, imho they have established their place.