1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Everything Else Video Games Thread [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Erandil, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Unrelated to the newest fancy releases, sorry.

I've been playing Hearts of Iron 4 since roughly 2017 (slightly after it's release) and having loads of fun. Currently at 487 hours logged in steam.

In particular, a major part of this time went to a specific kind of fun, of "losing is fun" variety. I like taking hard scenarios and trying to win them. (Playing as Poland, trying to survive as Ethiopia, etc)

In particular, one of these scenarios is trying to "win", that is, "survive" with Lithuania. It's possible to achieve something if you go either for a fascist-Lithuania or communist-Lithuania and start aggressively. I wanted to play as neutral-alignment Lithuania, where the game limits your options considerably (for one, you can't attack anyone for a long time, and then Germany and Russia come with their demands).

Tonight, I finally succeed, after years of trying, and multiple runs (lost the count, but definitely more than 30).

I have a small after action report on hoi4 reddit, if anyone wants more details and screen-caps.

Just wanted to share the exhilaration of the personal achievement.

Still not perfect, so I'll probably try and do it again, but...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  2. Gengar

Gengar Polymagus ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  3. awinarock

awinarock Totally Sirius

What's the gameplay like? It looks a lot like the Soulsborne/Sekiro style parry/block, and attack.

4. Gengar

High Score:
    It's not as hard. Personally I think the combat is sublime, but YMMV.

For sword combat, you match your stance to the weapon your enemy is using (stone stance for swords, water stance for shields, wind stance for spears and halberds and moon stance for brutes). Each weapon type fight in different ways and you play them and parry them differently.

Ultimately, you use the correct stance because you need to break their guard. Once you do that, bitches die quickly (that includes you AND bosses).

Parrying and dodging is easy. Perfect parry and perfect dodge comes with practise, and it opens up the enemy who gets dunked on to basically OHKOs.

You have a half-bow and a long-bow. Pretty self-explanatory and nothing really new here.

Then there's 'Ghost' techniques. Kunai, bombs and the like that supplement your fighting style. There's a lot to choose from and you rarely use them all, but as you're often heavily outnumbered, the theme of the game (which translates to gameplay) is you've taken on unorthodox techniques to level the playing field.

I also just unlocked a blow-gun. It operates similarly to the ones you might've seen in past AC games, with limited ammo.

Finally, and my favourite thing, is the Showdown mechanic.

You roll up on a group of enemies like a boss and then you stare each other down. Gameplay wise this translates to you holding down triangle as they try and juke you out. Release triangle in the middle of their attack when it finally comes and it's a OHKO, fuck it up and you're left with 1hp. Then the dead dude's friends come at you one at a time up to five (with upgrades and armour), you only need to tap square or triangle in the middle of their attack to OHKO them.

Basically, gameplay is sublime imo.

My only complaint is that they did the Sony First Party thing of a limited use grappling hook a la Uncharted, where you can only grapple at grapple points. If you could use that anywhere and the level design mirrored its place, I'd say this game is perfect...

Oh, you'll probably hear the enemy AI is kinda dumb. That's fair.

Edit:
    Another knock against the game that's more a QoL thing. You get half a dozen or so different types of armour, which is cool. Problem is, 90% of the time you'll want to be wearing the 'Traveller's Garb' because doing so is so beneficial for exploration. This leads to a frustrating gameplay experience of using it everywhere, then when you get into a fight, you'll go into your menu and switch into the appropriate garb.

I've no issue with swapping armours for the right situation, but as I said, you're basically always using Trav's when you're not in combat, you'd be crazy not to.

I'd love it if, in the inevitable sequel, the benefits of Trav's are relegated to a 'shrine blessing' or, shit, just use an already existing mechanic like charms to get their effect.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  5. Gengar

High Score:

Oh God, I'm getting excited for a new MMO again...

6. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

Been watching that game for around a year on and off since a friend talked about it. Genuinely looking forward to it, and the way the company acts so far is reassuring. Can't say yet whether or not it'll be good obviously, but the direction is promising.

7. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ghost of Tsushima is such a good game. It truly is an epic with which to end this generation of playstation. I would say its a mix of Skyrim + Assassin's Creed, set in Japan, but with the most gorgeous graphics of any game to date. Gengar's mentioned the few issues I have with gameplay, but I'd also argue the story is a bit cliche.

Either way, this game is a sublime experience and worth paying full price for. Just running around doing side quests and have barely touched t he main quest and I'm 15 hours in.

8. Gengar

High Score:
    I want to defend the 'cliche' story (of the parts I've experienced).

I think the point is to be cliche Kurasawa...

Hopefully in a sequel they can do a bit more. Hopefully go to the mainland etc.

9. Arthellion

High Score:
    I'd agree. It's not a bad story by anymeans, but it definitely follows established story beats for the genre. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it is what it is.

10. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

I snapped up Watch Dogs 2 when Ubi gave it out for free and I have to say I am quite happy I didn't have to pay anything for it. It is an okayish game for the most part though it really suffers from the fact that so much stuff is utterly irrelevant, even more so than is typical in modern open world games. For example gives a whole suite of non-lethal weapons like a military style paint gun but I am pretty sure there is zero benefit in using them over more deadly weapons which tend to be far more effective. And even in quests that tends to be true, you can solve many of them without being seen by the enemy due to using your various gadgets but other than the inherent fun there really seems no difference in going for a total stealth approach instead of playing Rambo and simple shooting at everything that moves.(and the later tends to be both easier and quicker).

Add a pretty forgettable plot with quite a few holes and what for me was a pretty uninteresting cast and you et a game that is barely average.

11. Gengar

High Score:
    People seem to be really excited about WD: Legion. I've never been interesting in the setting though tbh.

If an open-world game is going to tackle those techno themes, I'd rather they do it in a crazy world like C77 as opposed to present day Chicago/SanFran/London.

The biggest draw of Open World games to me is one of two things:
    • Giving me an amazing world I just want to inhabit and stay in and do things for as long as possible, or
    • Give me an awesome character I can do crazy things with (a la Superhero open worlds)

It's why Watch Dogs never appealed to me. The world is just modern day cities and the character is a hacktivist... bleh

Oh, award to best gaming news of the year Spiderman Miles Morales is 4k60fps whoop whoop. I was worried they'd be more concerned with pushing the fidelity rather than hitting 60. So happy.

12. kinetique

kinetique Unspeakable

Thoroughly looking forward to getting the ps5. I've never owned a play station, and there are so many ps4 games I've wanted to play but simply can't. Also, horizon zero dawn is out on pc in a couple weeks and I'm pretty thrilled for that too.

13. Gengar

High Score:
    How new is the PC? If you're getting a PS5 anyway... it'll run pretty well on that, lol...

14. kinetique

kinetique Unspeakable

Relatively new, 1080gtx and 6700k. Should be okay to play a ps4 game.

15. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Has the PS5 been confirmed to have backwards compatibility? For some reason I must've missed that announcement.

16. Gengar

High Score:
    Yes, several times, it's just a matter of degree at this point. They've not explicitly said so, but I imagine there are some games that get a bit wonky.

I have a similar PC @kinetique I think the ps5 will run it better if you wanna wait and if you're getting it anyway.

17. Agayek

Agayek The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Kinda sorta. It's not blanket backwards compatibility like the PS1->PS2 or whatever, though. It's basically the same deal as Xbox 360 -> Xbox One; "here's a list of games that will be backwards compatible at launch, and we're gonna be expanding on it over time". Most of the big hits are on that list, so there's pretty good odds that if there's a game you wanna play it'll run on PS5.

18. Meerkats

Meerkats Auror

Probably gonna get WD: Legion just because it's set in London. Can't remember the last big budget game set in modern London. I want to experience that thing Americans are fond of talking about on twitter when they see a place they know in real life recreated in game.

19. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

How have the gameplay videos held up? In terms of living up to evoking actual London.

Also, how did Syndicate stack up in that regard?

20. Arthellion

High Score:
    This is the most accurate video game depiction of London present day:

[​IMG]