1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Everything Else Video Games Thread [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Erandil, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned DLP Supporter

High Score:
    yeh. Kunai are life

2. Gengar

Gengar Polymagus ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Baldur's Gate 3 pushed out of August, I Cri...

Apparently release will be announced on Aug18th...

Been on a bit of a CRPG binge lately. Got Pillars 1&2, Pathfingder Kingmaker, Torment TON and Tyranny for around 50 bucks on GOG... I guess I'm sorted until BG3 is ready lol...

Not a huge fan of Pillars 1 atm, the combat is really clunky. I prefer the Divinity combat system, but it's still fun.

3. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I hope you don't burn out. That's a lot of crpg.

I've played all of those, and my personal ranking would be PF:K > Pillars 1 >= Pillars 2 > Torment > Tyranny.

Tyranny had a nice concept but mostly felt like wasted potential. It was also pretty short, and combat was insanely imbalanced, at least on release day. Still a nice, good game.

I'm always surprised to hear how divisive Pillars 1 is. It's mostly an old school DnD adventure. The backer npcs are annoying, and I guess there's a bit too much reading sometimes.

Pillars 2 is a direct sequel, so I do recommend finishing Pillars 1 first.

4. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Finally got the chance to play Horizon Zero Dawn.
    So far I'm really enjpyomg every second.

Alloy is a cool character that becomes endearing the moment I started playing as her as a kid.

Love all the cool robot animals.

World-building has been top notch.

The weirdest thing though, is that while I was playing, I couldn't help but think, "Man, this game really looks like Assasin's Creed Vallhalla."

5. Gengar

High Score:
    I get the whole DnD adventure thing, but in a tabletop game, you're not controlling every character, your friends are. The micromanaging is a bit much given how much combat there is. There's also virtually no AI control and the map is super small, so you're constantly funneled into narrow spaces and trying to maneuver the correct characters into the front - it's almost more RTS than RPG at that point...

It just feels designed with hatred for a group in mind, lol...

Another thing that exacerbates this is having to wait for your party before leaving the map. I just tried to stealth through a camp to get to the commander and NOPE, not allowed. My non-stealthy allies will run straight through after I ninja's my way to the boss... Just frustrating.

Wish there was a Lone Wolf option like there is in Divinity. That's my preferred play style.

6. lopeck

lopeck Seventh Year

^You can play the whole game solo. There is even an achievement for going it solo on the highest difficulty.

I am always surprised at the diversity of opinions on those games. I've seen people love PFK and Tyrrany, but hate the rest, have wildly different opinions on Pillars 1&2, or, like me, got a bunch of good things to say about most of them, but never getting into PF:K. I tried to play it at release. I tried to play it after it got patched a bunch. But I never really liked the game enough to sink a ton of hours into it.

7. Clerith

High Score:
    Probably because despite being crpgs, they're quite different. It's not a problem for me, since I've played almost every crpg and liked all of them, but for people who don't love the genre as a whole and just like certain aspects or have strong preferences, they love some but hate some.

RTwP vs. TB. 6 man party vs. 4 man party vs. solo. Combat focus vs. story focus. Fantasy vs. sci-fi. Traditional vs. modern. Complex vs. simple. The games really are different. Pillars 1 and 2 are almost different beasts, almost as much as Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age 2.

I like Pathfinder: Kingmaker the most out of those because it's the most traditional and orthodox, DnD-style crpg. A true spiritual successor of Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights. That was my first experience with the genre, and what I like the most. Fantasy setting, long story, large party, deep system. The launch was an absolute disaster, but they've patched and updated it admirably.

Pillars 1 was a divergence of the DnD formula, with its own, sometimes needlessly complex lore and dialogue dumps, and a simpler system, but it still played like the old games, just in a new sandbox. Pillars 2 was a re-imagining in a more modern form, which had its advantages and drawbacks. As is the common case with sequels, betters graphics, less soul. Too bad it sold so badly we're unlikely to see a Pillars 3.

Torment: Tides of Numenera tried to be a successor to the classic Planescape: Torment, but fell short. I did appreciate how meaningful dialogue was in that game, but it was just too... short and basic. I can definitely see people like this the most for the dialogue system and sci-fi setting, though.

I think that both Pathfinder and Divinity: OS are great paths for modern crpgs. We'll see how BG3 does.

8. Gengar

High Score:
    I am playing solo now tbf. I will miss Pellegina saying 'Gallarde! Well-e Donn-e!' whenever we walk into the fort lol...

Eder and Aloth are great characters, but I think I just prefer the combat too much solo over missing character moments.

Btw, of the games I mentioned, are any of them that are sensible in scale and not involving gods and the like?

I don't think I'll play Wizard again in Pillars 2. Coming from Divinity 2 as my last CRPG, Wizard in PoE feels way more restricted. I loved the sandboxy nature of the spell interactions in Divinity.

9. Clerith

High Score:
    Ah, Pillars 1 Pallegina, how I miss you.

Nnnot really. Tyranny is probably the most... subdued in scale. Then Torment. Pillars 2 is the biggest offender if you hate gods (or metaphysical existences on that level).

Edit: is it really a rpg if you don't kill a god?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020 at 12:34 AM
  10. Gengar

High Score:
    Honestly? I can't think of an RPG that was improved when gods are introduced into the story, it's actually the opposite for me. I just roll my eyes.

Just finished.

Eh, given what I said previously, I wasn't a fan of the story - even if the story is technically that the Gods were created and there are no actual Gods etc.

The whole plot of having 'my' past weigh on me didn't land though. Throughout the entire game I was like... 'I don't care about any of that. This cunt is stealing the souls of babies and he's gonna die for that.'

The rest? I could take of leave, didn't land with me.

Fun time waster though, I guess. My favourite parts I think were when I was deciding which faction to curry favour with in Defiance Keep and the whole political intrigue therein. Went downhill from there for me.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020 at 4:03 AM
  11. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Did you get it on PC? I've heard mixed things about it on PC. Some people love it, some hate it. A typical port.

12. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Made the mistake of reinstalling Fallout: New Vegas and the whole "I'll just use a couple of mods" thought train has spiraled out of control.

13. Arthellion

High Score:
    Reinstalled Skyrim this morning....

14. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

I've been playing it on PC.

The performance isn't as buttery smooth as Death Stranding. But so far, most of the issues have occurred mostly during cutscenes and dialogue moments.

Its a genuine shame that Death Stranding's outstanding performance on PC was not due to an inherent advantage with the Decima engine but simply because Kojima and his team are just good at porting.

All in all though. I have still loved and enjoyed every second I have played this game.

Taking down my first ThunderJaw was the most memorable gaming experience I have had in 3 years.

15. Gengar

High Score:
    I don't think I've been as engrossed by a story as I was by Horizon's in quite some time.

Well, part of it.

You'll understand, lol...

16. Imperial

Imperial Second Year

Re: Those damned swordsmen

Kunai and sticky bombs are my solution to most problems in Ghost, but I found the flaming arrows to be surprisingly effective against the ronin. Doubly so if you equip the Charm of Enduring Affliction.

Light them up and then cut them down while they are flailing around.

Now that I'm done with Ghost of Tsushima, I'm looking forward to Mortal Shell dropping next week.

Something's got to fill the whole Elden Ring has left in my life, and I can only replay Bloodborne and the Dark Souls trilogy so many times before I can clear those games on muscle memory alone. My Arcane run in BB and my Pyro run in Dark Souls classic have been pretty fun, though. I'm normally a caveman kind of player, finding the biggest slab of steel or stone or wood I can get my hands on and bludgeoning things to death. But it's nice to play a more mage-warrior style from time to time.

17. Clerith

High Score:
    My experience was that anything you build around is op.

Gosaku with multiple stagger charms was op. Kensei with ghost weapon charms was op. Tadayori with bow charms was op. Samurai clan with resolve gain and health gain charms was kinda op.

Ghost tools really are the easy answer to everything, though. Kunais wreck, and are really good against anything that isn't a brute. Smoke bombs let you chain assassinate like nobody's business. Upgraded sticky bombs are just free kills. Explosive arrows are just op on their own. And ammo and tools are very plentiful if you explore.

You still need to learn how to duel, but stance abilities are op for honorable 1v1.

18. Arthellion

High Score:
    My only real complaint about GOT is that I wish it’d been more of an rpg with branching storyline