1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

Everything Else Video Games Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Erandil, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Arthellion

Arthellion Dark Lord

High Score:
    Kotor didn’t age as well as some games have. I only play it for the story nowadays and even that pales in comparison to some more modern stuff. That said it definitely defined a lot of my early video game life.

Kotor 2 has the better story though.

Gameplay in both would have benefited from being 100% turn based than the weird combination of the two.

2. Agayek

Agayek Fourth Champion DLP Supporter

It's the same under-the-hood system as Baldur's Gate and all the other aD&D games out there. I think it just feels weird cuz it's third person rather than isometric.

3. Arthellion

Arthellion Dark Lord

High Score:
    For what it’s worth I can’t stand the gameplay of many of those games either. For the same reasons. I’ve played BG exactly once bc of the epic story, but even with the EE gameplay is terrible.

If you’re making a DnD game, it needs to be turn based imo. The isometric real time is just bad.

Divinity did it right.

4. Knyght

Knyght The Chosen One

Speaking of, Divinity has shamelessly stolen the last few days of my life.

After finishing my first playthrough of Diablo 3, I decided to start both Dragon Quest XI and Divinity Original Sin 2 so I could switch between them whenever I got tired of one. Especially since I'd never played anything like DOS2 before and I wasn't sure it was going to click for me.

Now I'm over 54 hours into DOS2 and just stopped a certain hanging which somehow turned into a clusterfuck of apocalyptic proportions.

Dragon who?

5. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Rimworld is my go to game for a nice, relaxing session of hat making. It's also hilarious in the same way Dwarf Fortress is, but without the awful, awful UI.

6. Gengar

Gengar Polymagus Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I just played DOS2 recently. I adored everything about it except the story, weirdly. Didn't even finish it, got bored in the last act. Felt like if the character wasn't a protagonist, they're a hilariously cartonishly evil antagonists. I could murder everyone when given the option and I didn't even feel bad once...

Unfortunately, I couldn't find another game of that kind with that level of polish to sink my teeth into. Anything else close or much better story-wise looks very dated.

7. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Minister of Magic

That mirrors my experience. I loved the game while playing - it had so many fun elements, and the combat could get really challenging - but I also didn't make it through the last arc. I killed one boss on the new island, then stopped playing. It's strange because by all metrics DOS2 is the greatest RPG of recent times that found its way into my hands.

8. Arthellion

Arthellion Dark Lord

High Score:
    That was my experience too. The gameplay was perfect. The story...not enough to truly hold my interest. The story felt like a cartoonish archetype.

Playing an original character felt poorly connected, but at the same time, I didn't really like the origin characters. They all kinda sucked. Still love the game, but the story could have been better.

9. Gengar

Gengar Polymagus Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I liked playing as Lohse, so much so that once I killed the inner demon, I was done with the game, lol