1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fallout: New Vegas

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Red Aviary, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  2. ZombieHunter

ZombieHunter DA Member

Messed up? I thought that game was fantastic!

What exactly did you find lacking in it?

3. ForsakenOne

ForsakenOne Groundskeeper

The fact that it was a movie rather than a game, over-dependance on VAT system etc etc.

4. Red Aviary

High Score:
    Two-dimensional characters, lackluster story, VATS (all right idea, bad execution--it's basically an "I WIN!!" button), terrible dialogue system, dumbed-down SPECIAL and other RPG elements from the original Fallout games, exploding cars and other nonsensical elements, the entirety of Mothership Zeta, lore inconsistencies, and plenty of other things. And I liked Fallout 3, to an extent. You should see the people who hate it rant on about how terrible it is on that No Mutants Allowed site's forums.

As a veteran of the original Interplay Fallout games (well, kind of--I played the first two before Fallout 3, and came in expecting something different...), it's good to see that Obsidian, which has a lot of the original Interplay team that made the first games in it, is developing this rather than Bethesda.

5. Lokesin

Lokesin Slug Club Member

Wow. Now if we can just avoid setting the world on fire for that long..

<Lazy pun>

6. Dirk Diggory

Dirk Diggory Seventh Year

I liked the engine, I just didn't care about the story. I guess part of it is the postapocalyptic setting isn't my favorite compared to games like ME or NWN, but also it just wasn't that engrossing. I thought the gameplay experience was pretty high quality though, I just never make it through an RPG if I'm not into the story.

7. artenry

artenry Guest

I liked Fallout 3, a lot - the free-roaming aspect of the game really appealed to me. It wasn't just the moving around physically, but also the way I could handle situations to my tastes.

Fallout: New Vegas looks very cool, and it's not even the last game - apparently a Fallout 4 is also in the works!

TL;DR - I'm supah excited.

8. Lokesin

Lokesin Slug Club Member

So here's the question on my mind...exactly what's up with the licensing here? Did OE buy the rights to make Fallout series games, while at the same time Bethesda also has theirs in the works? Or was a single one contracted out?

9. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fallout 3 was awesome. Nostalgia only goes so far.

10. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

The problems with Fallout 3 are easy to identify:

Difficulty: Too Easy. The hardest aspect was inventory / weight mangement.

Level Design: Dark Train Tunnels

Character Interaction / Story: Unimpressive

Immersion: Low

I bought Call of Pripyat the other day - - half the cost of FO3 (or a third of it, depending I guess), same basic concept of FO3, doesn't have a single inch of "complex moral choices" or even really much a story... but a much better game simply because it has good level design, difficulty, and immersion.

FO3's music was great, admittedly. I don't think it counts considering it wasn't composed by the team though.

Will Vegas be any different? It'll use the same engine, but it's a different team. Could be fun. Could not. Mods didn't really make FO3 any better for me... so if Vegas doesn't have good gameplay out of the box, probably not picking it up.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  11. Red Aviary

High Score:
    I thought a necro bump for the new E3 2010 trailer was justified.

Also thought I'd post the most interesting info released so far:

- Perks will be given every two levels.

- Level cap is 30.

- Iron sights have been added, so instead of zooming in slightly with a gun, you'll see down it's length to aim. Scopes and melee weapons will presumably work the same as they have before.

- Different types of ammunition (hollow point, armor piercing) will be available for some guns, but not all.

- The main factions are the New California Republic, the residents of New Vegas and Caesar's Legion. Caesar's Legion is very Roman-esque, and fond of crucifixion. None of the factions are "totally good" or "totally evil", as the East Coast Brotherhood of Steel and the Enclave were portrayed in FO3.

- The NCR has lost contact with the West, and are very demoralized and under-equipped.

- Companions will be handled better, with a menu added to control how they behave. They will also have deeper personalities, and will have a quest to recruit them.

- The ending will be much more comprehensive, indicating that your decisions in the game will actually matter this time around.

- Radio stations will return. Some play music, others are propaganda from the different factions.

- Karma will return (hopefully handled better), as will the Reputation system that handles how different factions and cities react to you.

- A "Hardcore" mode will be added, where stimpaks take time to heal the player, ammunition has weight, a Doctor's Bag is needed to fix broken limbs, water is needed to combat dehydration, and other things. This seems to be separate from the actual difficulty level.

- Weapons will be modifiable, with scopes, extended magazines, and other such enhancements able to be added to your weapons. This will add a more personal element to your guns.

- There are reportedly twice as many weapons in the game as in Fallout 3.

- A satellite laser called the Helios One will be usable by you at some point.

- VATS now allows users to perform special attacks with their weapons.

- The player is a courier delivering a package to a man named Primm. He/she is shot in the head and buried in shallow grave, but is rescued by a robot and healed by a man named Doctor Mitchell. The main quest has to do with the contents of the package and getting revenge.

- The player's age will be customizable, as in the original Fallout games.

- The world will be a lot more open and spread out than FO3's, and is modeled after the Mojave Desert.

- A primary theme of New Vegas seems to be electricity, as FO3's was water. (Hopefully it will be handled better.)

- There will be no overt references to FO3. However, continuity from the original games will be addressed.

- The Damage Threshold mechanic will return. Outlined here.

- The city of New Vegas itself is vibrant and bustling, as compared to any community seen in FO3.

- Gambling will, of course, be in the game.

- Besides caps, there will also be New California Republic dollars and Caesar's Legion currency. The quality of some deals made in the wastes depends on what money you use. There will be an exchange rate between the three.

- Vault 21 is a vault where all conflicts are decided through gambling.

- New Vegas is run by a Mr. House, a man who is apparently from pre-War times and survived through stasis. He is based on Howard Hughes.

- Low intelligence dialogue options have returned. However, instead of being a complete retard, you are now more like Forrest Gump stupid, missing the point completely in dialogue and very open to manipulation.

- Small Guns and Big Guns have been merged into Firearms. Rocket launchers and anything causing explosions is now under Explosives. Energy Weapons are anything that uses some kind of energy or fusion cell.

- A new Survival skill has been introduced, akin to the original games' Outdoorsman skill. This determines how much HP will be recovered from eating and drinking, and also allows you to cook food at a campfire.

- Weapons now have strength requirements. Presumably, a character with 1 STR will not be able to use a minigun.

- Apparently the use of Steam will be mandatory for Fallout: New Vegas. Since I'm unfamiliar with Steam, personally, I'll just link there.

That looks like everything. Feel free to post anything else and keep the thread active.