1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Famous 'Muggles' who might really be Squibs in the HP Universe

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nerdman3000, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

Some Harry Potter fanfics tend to have oneoff mentions of certain famous 'muggle' people who the story reveals to have actually have been squibs. This made me think, could something like that really occur? If we imagined that the nonmangical world had the same exact same famous people in it, then who do you think could actually be squibs living in the Muggle World. Maybe someone like JRR Tolkien or Edgar Allan Poe perhaps?

2. Plotless

Plotless High Inquisitor

If squibs live in the muggle world, what makes you think they're any better than normal people? The only squib we say was Figg, who was a crazy cat woman.

3. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Personally, I hate when authors use oneliners saying someone like Einstein or the Queen were squibs. It's really one of the worst cliches, and really ruins the immersion. It's always just some throwaway line too. It just doesn't add anything tangible to the story.

4. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

Surely at least one or two squibs managed to make a name for himself at least. While some squibs like Mrs. Figg and Filch stayed and had miserable lives(at least in Filch's case), we know from book one that a relative of the Weasleys was a squib and became a stockbroker.

5. Grieftool

Grieftool Squib

Sherlock Holmes would be amuzing as a wizard.

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As much as I love a good wizard wank, I draw the line at appropriating Muggle achievements and crediting them to wizards.

Wizards surely have plenty of achievements of their own without us having to boost them by giving them Muggle ones too.

7. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

More like squib. And Myrcroft as the Wizard.

8. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

Well Nicholas Flamel was a real historical figure. So there's one. Someone like Paracelsus might be a good punt too.

I'm not so behind making more modern scientists wizards though, even squibs feels a bit strange.

But if I had to say one person who has the weirdness to be a squib it would be Boris Johnson.

9. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

We have to accept that some muggle achievements were made by magical people, particularly those that were active long before the Statute of Secrecy was imposed. Canon already places Nicolas and Perenelle Flamel in that group.

I'm with the others in that squibs have no particular tendency for greatness; if anything, they're cursed with mundanity in the world so to have them being relevant in muggle society runs against their nature.

As for wizards in history, I'll accept the ones that we remember for being oddballs as much for being industrious- Tesla, Poe, Rasputin... and Benjamin Franklin.

10. someone010101

someone010101 High Inquisitor

Aristotle was a wizard.

At least that's what the history books say. And I've never seen any muggle say otherwise, have you?

11. gundam_wizard

gundam_wizard Fourth Year

Abdul Al-Hazred was a squib.

DC
  12. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Jack Black is Sirius' squib cousin. The resemblance exists. Rebecca Black is Bellatrix's squib daughter.

13. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Jesus had a horcrux.

14. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

How would a Squib create a Horcrux?

15. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    By being a wizard. Peeps have named possible wizards, not just squibs. Threads evolve. Chill, dude.

16. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

Well, if were including wizards, then maybe Jack the Ripper was a dark wizard?

17. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I just don't like because I'm like, "So what you're saying is that everyone that was ever worth half a damn in the entirety of human history was either a wizard or a squib? Muggles have never contributed anything worthwhile? Go fuck yourself."

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of it. In order to get past my force-field of caustic cynicism, it would have to be a reeeeally clever example of that cliché, and I'm just not sure there are any left (if there ever were any to begin with).

18. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Aren't Squibs really just Muggles anyway?

But just for the sake of the topic, such as it is: Hitler, because why not.

19. gundam_wizard

gundam_wizard Fourth Year

According to Wikia, not.
    Grindelwald's lost bro...

20. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wikia is wrong then.

From JKR's old website:

http://web.archive.org/web/20081216...ing.com/textonly/en/extrastuff_view.cfm?id=19

Regarding the topic of the thread, I think it's sensible to draw a distinction between pre- and post- Statute of Secrecy. Pre-Statute of Secrecy, wizards and Muggles had a shared society and culture. We know that the Malfoys helped out with the Norman invasion of England, for example.

In such a situation, you'd expect a certain amount of crossover: Muggle and wizarding scholars interested in philosophy/natural philosophy/alchemy etc. would be seeking to explain both the natural and unnatural worlds, as they're aware of both. I imagine a good amount of pre-Statute magical theory may be written by Muggle philosophers like Aristotle and Plato (and you can even have fun with their "missing" works being absent because the magical world has hidden them from the Muggles). Similarly, probably some of the historical figures which feature in Muggle history were actually wizards.

But after the Statute (and probably in the decades preceding it) I think this will pretty much end.