1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fanfiction Ideas

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Warlock, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Warlock

Warlock First Year

I want to make a fan fiction but, ive noticed that all the recent fanfictions comming out are either trash or its redundant shit from another fan fiction. Which is why i am going to run this by you guys frist. Figure out what the audience wants to see. onto the list.

Ideas i have thus far
    - apprentice harry
    - eloquent harry?
    - learnlearnlearn harry
    - ship is undecided

Thats really all i have at the present time. Just tell me a little about what you would like to see. which cliche's you would like me to sidestep and who should be harry's master(this being the biggest point)

2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Master that no one had ever considered:

Gilderoy Lockheart

He sees that BWL will be popular and he oblivates his way into gaining the guardianship.

Harry learns to be eloquent, charming and good with mind magic.

Once Lockheart sees Harry's power, he starts pushing him in dangerous situations (attack some werewolf, hunt down a vampire, examine a tomb etc...) and taking credit for it. They become the most famous pair in the world - hero father and little BWL helper.

Harry can be either envious of Lockheart taking most of the credit and try to run of, or he can be ok with staying in shadows, realizing that he wouldn't be a target there.

If Lockheart becomes too envious of Harry's fame, he might try to set up an 'accident'. Harry survives and, being a mental charms expert, places the git under imperio or oblivates him.

If they stay together traveling the world until Harry's 12, they could get called to Hogwarts, with Lockheart taking the DADA job.

If they stay together traveling the world until Harry's 14, Lockheart could get an invitation to be a referee at Triwizard tournament.

If they stay together traveling the world until Harry's 15, they could get hired to take down the newly risen Dark Lord.

Heh, just a bunny that hopped through my mind once I read your post. It probably wouldn't work, but it's sure challanging idea to write.

3. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

As it happens, I intend to still have Lockhart be around in Happy Red Prince II which takes place during Fourth Year. So maybe some concepts will be applied there.

4. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

No kidding, that's honestly one of the best ideas i've seen in a long time. It gives way to so many ideas. Lockheart could push Harry to becoming real powerful and getting them out of the dangerous situations, so Harry is still famous, powerful, charming, good at mind magic, etc. That's definitly something i'd like to read.

5. That_Boy

That_Boy DLP Elite DLP Supporter

That sounds like an awesome idea, seriously. You could give Harry some realistic flaws too, that he would have gained from Lockhart, vanity etc. But he would also be skilled at manipulating the press etc. Plus all the above ideas. Someone should turn this into a challenge I think it would be awesome.

6. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

So when are you going to write it IP82? Its an awesome idea. I offer my assistance.

Like the flash avatar there Warlock.

Jim

7. Warlock

Warlock First Year

I have to admit man i would hate taking credit for something like that as its more or less 100% you're idea. It would be masterful to read though, i can almost picture dual ear to ear grins....

8. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

As far as charactor traits for Harry, I always like a well-spoken/witty Harry. Sadly, most of the time he's being ass fucked by Malfoy which feature stories where Harry has any kind of brain. I also like Harry being more out going, more James Potter like I guess.

9. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I'm not gonna write this. That's why I dropped the idea here.
    If I ever wrote a story with kids, I already have few ideas I'd rather do than this one.

10. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

If he's well spoken...and you're continuing the story after the fifth book or something, the well-spoken/witty Harry better take a shit load of time to become like that. I hate it when people just have Harry becoming all smart and talking like he's a respectable old gentleman almost immediately. He's a teenager for fucks sake, don't try to change his speech patterns in one night.

11. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

Agreed 100%, thank you very much! Sorry, I've read a lot of stories in the past 24hrs....

If you want my advice, take IP's. He practically generates half the ideas on this site, a bit like DGD does halfof the avatars (well, close to). Apprentice Harry has been done to death (after oldcrow's legendary Apprentice Potter) if you must know but Lockhart apprenticing Harry would add an interesting twist. Remember to think outside the box.

If I were you I'd take a nice long bath and think about it. I find that helps me get a lot of ideas into my head. After it, write down all you've worked out. Also, I would read key character scenes in canon again (if you aren't doing a complete AU) as it does wonders for stopping your characters from suffering MPD (Multiple Personality Disorder) or unbearable OOCness.

This isn't a film, you're not getting paid. Write for youself and for your own enjoyment above all else, that's what fanfiction is about really. I dunno about everyone else, but I would never ever churn out 100,000+ words if I didn't enjoy writing it.

Go to the cliche rant. Remember this is only v4.0:

http://forums.darklordpotter.net/viewtopic.php?t=1929

My point being that you can't avoid every cliche and if you tried, your story woul be unbelievably strained. There's a reason why SOME cliches have become popular, it's because they're good. Having said that, don't bombard us with them (especially in the first chapter).

12. True Story

True Story Third Year

Hmm.....And Harry grows to love this dude....in a non-gay way....like a father-son type thing or brotherly love thing.....and Harry is actually good at magic and bails Lockhart out of situations his mouth runs him into.....yes.......I am going to write this and apply some of the concepts from my lord Voldemort fic to this. I have like 20 chaps. of my lord Voldemort fic and I have the plot fleshed out but......I'm going to put it off untill I write a Harry centric fic.

I'll opt. for the Tri-Wizarding tournament come back.....Yeah.....The first chapter will probably be out within the week....I can't bother with finishing the story before I post the first chapter.....Good stuff IP!!! Thanks for the idea.

13. noddwyd

noddwyd Third Year

hidden under the floorboards, in tiny pieces.
    after the war Harry leaves the world he grew up in forever. Only to find a new land with a different kind of magic. Harry becomes a gardener?

capitalizes on the fact that we know jack about Harry's grandparents who happened to own a bit of farmland in the middle of nowhere halfway around the world and also introduces the idea that even 'muggles' or 'squibs' in Harry's case can gain access to certain types of magic which are largely undiscovered.

HP/Harvest Moon Crossover.

Personally I think it could be hilarious.