1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

FanFiction Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Levi, May 3, 2005.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Levi

Levi Sent Back to India

FanFiction Pet Peeves

Finally! I have came up with a topic worthy of discussion. I am very much sure that you people will have many things to add here and we'll have a good laugh over them. Please restrict the discussion to FanFiction only.

I have many of these pet peeves, as I am sure you all do. But here's mine for now.

How many of us like Independent! Harry fics? Nearly all of us. A point I don't understand is that why we read these fics when 8 out of 10 have the same material wrapped in different colored foils. All of them have a pissed off Harry who isn't going to take shit. A Machiavellian Dumbledore and many of them make this guy, the greatest wizard mind you, an utter fool who likes to suck lemon drops all day and night and completely disagrees with Harry.

So next step, our here gets a letter from Gringotts, goes to the bank, recognizes Griphook from all the similar looking Goblins, then Griphook's eyes widen in surprise, he is then taken to the head Goblin or whoever chief of staff, hears about DD's manipulation, hears Sirius' will, cries for five hours, gets emancipated, becomes a zillionaire and many times Lord Potter or Lord Black, then goes to see the vaults, faints on seeing the zillions of galleons and dark arts stuff, inherits No. 12 GP and 50 other manors and stuff, and you know the rest of the story where he learns dark arts, sometimes befriends Slytherins, R and Hr are jerks, and so on and so forth.

Well, i think I have rambled enough for now. Its time for your very own pet peeves.

2. nightangel960

nightangel960 Fifth Year

I know what you mean, I like independant harry stories but they are becomming to cliche

3. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Ah, well, I'm kind of a stickler for grammar. It just pisses me off when people don't proofread. Other than that, it has to be Mary-Sue's/Gary-Stu's. Then there are songfics. Now, some of them I like, but most of them are just plain bad.

4. nightangel960

nightangel960 Fifth Year

hey I can do with a comma being missing from here and there

5. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Spelling/Grammer doesnt really bother me unless its utterly horribe ...

What i cant stand about fanfiction is making harry a complete utter crybaby bitch who tries to off himself after sirius.

I can see slight depression, but this is beyond irritating...

oh.. and if hermy and ron dont die horrible deaths it bothers me >_>

6. nightangel960

nightangel960 Fifth Year

yeah those stories are pretty bad

7. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

I totally agree with you.

Something I don’t like is when authors start their stories with a summary of what has happened in the HP books. It’s just stupid and boring. It’s not like you start reading HP fanfiction if you haven’t read the books first.

8. nightangel960

nightangel960 Fifth Year

I dunno i'm a bit conflicted on that as sometime I don't mind reading the summary

9. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Yes! That annoys me too. I mean, if we're reading the story, then it's a given that you've probably read the books as well. I think most authors just do that as a way of increasing their word count.

10. nightangel960

nightangel960 Fifth Year

probaly

11. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

yeah.. actually... i started reading fancition first... tarted reading a fifth year AU fic, didnt know that at the time, order of the phoenix by the same guy that did backwards compatible i think...

was lost.. that would have helped...

12. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Yes, the whole beginning of a Independent Harry is getting rather cliche, as well as the timeturner thing. I'm glad though, and I hope it spites RossWrock as he is an author who I despise as a person, but like his work.

13. nightangel960

nightangel960 Fifth Year

his works are okay

14. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Hehe, I know another person like you, she thinks he's arrogant. Personally, I like him, and his work. You can't call it cliche, as it was one of the first "Independant Harry's" out there.

15. Lord Ravenclaw

Hes a self-centered bastard who also happened to ban me from his Yahoo group for apparently no reason.

16. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Heh, well, that certainly explains it.

17. nightangel960

nightangel960 Fifth Year

*blinks* why they hell would he do that?

18. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I've got a few major ones, and several minors, so sit back, lol. To name a few:

-stories where Harrys either a badass, or escapes from Azkaban, becomes a utter badass, yet still either acts like a total wuss, or whines about stupid stuff.

Case in point, "Earl of the North". Now i LOVED this story something fierce. He spend all this time writing about how Harry'd bought up damned near everything important, is extremely strong in magic, has a army of powerful dark sorcerers under his beck and call, and yet...

He turns into a royal <censored> when he gets confronted by his friends at a fight, and they'll all like "We don't believe you're innocent!" He goes from being this utter baddass in the fight moments before to a whiny depressed idiot when the character the author has been building, shouldn't even CARE about what those ppl think.

He's so connected through all his holdings, yet somehow the totally inept Ministry manages to cripple him without even trying. GAY

-Any Harry goes to Azkaban story where he's really innocent. Overdone.

-Any Azkaban story where he gets out and still gives a flying you-know-what about the wizarding world, and makes up at all with his friends/backstabbers. "Oh sure you testified I was a human sacrificing machine, and that I loved to rape watermelons all day! Sure you put me away for 1/2/5/10/etc years with dementors and a prisoner names Tiny who had magic fingers, But hey, it's all good! C'mere buddies!"

-Any story that brings Sirius back to life (for ppl who read my story this may be a strange thing for me to say... just remember I promised lots of suprising twists, heh)

-Harry/Ginny where he suddenly notices either shes HOT, or just below average, but loves her b/c they're "connected" by being possessed. She's a hero worshipping twit, get over it!

-Ron/Hermione. I'd sooner believe Hermy playing "softball" with the other team then her getting with the stupid redhead.

-Harry the multianimagus, or Harry the Phoenix.

-Heir of Griffindor stories.

-First two chapters recapping everything.. ever. If I'm READING _FAN_fiction, I've obviously read the books. Some stuff like a mild look at what happened 5th year is cool, but I don't care to read all the other crap again.

-Harry's moodswinging more then a bipolar chick having PMS while high off Red Bull and Ridalin.

-Agreeing with other posters, anything that doesn't have Ron and Hermione dying a violent death via spoons/spatulas/forks and or butter knives.. just leaves me feeling empty!

I'll admit to having a semi cliche pissed of Harry, but that's it, lol, everything else I'm gonna do .. well except for one more thing (Time manipulation via a Black Hole type deal) will be original.

19. Lord Ravenclaw

Surprisingly, I find that Harry the Phoenix animagus is not as common as one would think, and the ones that do have him as one are woefully inadequate. The only good "phoenix animagus" storys I've read is Harry Potter and the Runespoor Shield, and Betrayal of the Best Kind...or so I can remember.

20. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Trust me, I've read a rather startling percentage of any HP story with Harry in it on FF.net above 20K words, it's common enough, and commonly done poorly =(

Not open for further replies.