1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fanfiction: Private, or Public?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lyndon Eye, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Lyndon Eye

Lyndon Eye Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

All my life, my tryst with HP fanfiction has been a very private thing- I've never talked to people about it, mostly because I've never met anyone with that common obsession. I've just realized, however, that perhaps it isn't as idiosyncratic an interest as I've always assumed...

A couple of hours ago, I was eating lunch with a close friend and had an angsty, wallow-in-emotions sort of conversation with her. Near the end, we drifted onto the topic of stupid private quirks and she revealed somewhat abashedly that she read HP fanfiction.

*insert OMG-ME-TOO moment*

The question I'm posing is: Is your fascination with fanfiction a public interest that you share with friends, or is it deeply private? What about DLP?

And furthermore, if it is a very private matter, do you ever wish that it could be more public?

EDIT: I just emailed my friend a link to DLP. Act normal, everyone! >_<

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  2. Solomon

Solomon Heir

My stance on things that I consider to be excessively nerdy tends to be "keep it private unless you know the other person would be into it too," so yeah, private.

3. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

I agree with DV, unless I know the other person is really interested it and if it is a girl that the girl is not into yaoi, then I would not talk about it at all.

4. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I keep fanfiction private too. I even do all my writing on FFnet's document manager.

5. Veri

Veri Denarii Host

Private. My brother knows that I read fanfiction, and one or two of my nerdier friends do as well, but the majority of my associates are unaware, and will probably stay that way for the foreseeable future.

6. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

7. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Dark Minion beat me to it re: old thread.

Private, mostly. My family and a couple facebook friends from childhood know. Aside from that, I keep it close.

I have two "big-three"-published speculative fiction authors down the hall from me at work. Given that fanfiction is considered among the professional ranks as the Velvet Elvis of writing, I'm not about to confess to writing it around the water cooler. (All they know is that I occasionally write short stories, but that I'm spectacularly unsuccessful at getting my fiction published).

8. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Private. The only person who knows I read ff is my brother who doesn't care one way or another. Basically, its like DV said "keep it private unless you know the other person would be into it too."

9. kalantha

kalantha Sixth Year

PRIVATE.

Most people don't even know how obsessed about HP I am. It's one of those things where you would feel really awkward sharing it because most people would start to look at you in a weird light. Most of the kids who read Fanfiction in my school are classified as the gothic kids who keep to themselves and cut. >.>

I have, however, told a few people before (like 2), but they don't know that I still continue to read fanfiction. Most people think I quit like 3-4 years ago.

10. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

Haven't told a single soul. I do know that one of my friends writes Twilight fanfiction but I'm not about to start talking about fanfiction with her.

I think a friend and some of my family know but I'm not about to ask if they know in case they actually don't know.

11. Bikiluf

Bikiluf Seventh Year

Private, I once tried to get my best friend into it. Boy did that backfire gloryously. Now I only talk about it when really sure that I'm on the same level with someone.

12. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Never mentioned it. Since the HBP movie just came out, I whip out a fun fact or two whenever the conversation comes up, but otherwise I keep it on the DL.

13. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well, some of my friends know but they are not into it so we generally don't talk about it. On a side note, you would expect to meet a lot more people writing/ reading fanficton then you actually do, it is kind of weird.

14. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

This. I know a girl who's (or was ?) into it too, but she's on the dark side of the fandom, so...

Private.

15. Lyndon Eye

Lyndon Eye Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

On FF.net, there's about 400,000 stories in HP alone. That translates into at least 200,000 members.

That's a pretty sizable number. =/

Which means that since we don't meet any other fanfiction people, it must be because they're keeping it private as well.

Moral: we should all come out of the closet.

16. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

I would say that translates into at least a million members. Most people don't write stories. Even more don't even register.

Anyway, my friends know I really liked the HP books when I was younger and still like the series. They don't know that i read FF but I usually shock them with my inzane knowledge of everything.

17. naidrodro

naidrodro Fourth Year

I'm a little bit of both. I don't advertise the fact that I read HP fanfiction, but if someone asks me what I'm reading I will tell them.

18. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

None of my friends are really into it so we don't talk about it, my best friend knows and my mum despairs that I 'never get off the computer and read actual books', but mostly it stays here.

19. QuixoticStoic

QuixoticStoic First Year

Private. Most my friends do not read JKR's books. They know I'm an HP fan. They do not know how big a fan I am.

20. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

I was much more private at first, not mentioning unless the other person was into it as well. But lately, I find it a pretty good subject for avoiding awkward silence when you're out of conversation topics.

Everyone's got their "guilty" passions, so in the end it's not a big deal or something to be ashamed of.