1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fantasy Adaption and faithfulnesss

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Alexx of Arabia, Feb 2, 2022.

1. Alexx of Arabia

Alexx of Arabia Streetshitter

I'm not sure but the recent trend is famous fantasy shows loved by tv audience like GOT, Witcher, Wheel of Time are hated by fans for deviations in source material. Often the case is the showrunner who is nowhere talented as the author changes things instead of faithful adapting the books and pisses of the fanbase. What do you think of it?

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think you gotta ease up on the sweeping generalizations.

3. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I'm not really sure that Game of Thrones was really all that loved in the final season and it seems like it soured everyone on ever rewatching the show.

About what? That some people will watch anything? Afraid that's always gonna be the case.

4. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

Also you're never going to make an adaptation that a large portion of the original fanbase is not going to hate. Overwhelming majority might love it, but there's always going to be very vocal parts of any fandom who think the adaptation somehow destroyed the original work.

Especially as any "faithful adaptation" most likely would be hot garbage, no matter what the source material is. That's the reason you need to _adapt_ things in the first place...

5. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't really care about how faithful an adaptation is. If I wanted to read the book, I'd read the book.

I just want to get a chance to see a world I like in a different way. If other people get introduced to that world, even better.

6. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I think it's more important to be thematically faithful than scene by scene faithful. After all, you're adapting a work, not transcribing it into another medium. Keeping the core of what matters in it while changing the shell to fit the new format is useful! Shows like The Magicians were far better than the books because they were willing to jettison a lot of the crap from the books in favor of doubling down on what worked, while later GoT had issues with casting itself adrift from the skeleton structure that the books functioned off of.

7. moribund_helix

moribund_helix Third Year

I'd read ASOIAF before watching GOT, and I gotta say, up to and including the 4th season, it was A+ for me.

Also, Great Expectations from BBC, man the scenery where Pip lived was like taken straight from my head. I was just mindlessly switching channels on the TV and happened upon the series (the first episode, something like 10 minutes in) and instantly thought of Great Expectations without knowing it beforehand. Hands down, best adaptation I've seen.

8. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Seventh Year

Eh, I've seen Tolkien lovers rail against the Peter Jackson movies. Too focused on the battles, issues with characterisations (Arwen always staying true to staying with Aragorn etc.).

In fact on this very website many really dislike the film adaptations of the Harry Potter series for one reason or another.

I personally really like both. Does anybody else's opinion but your own really matter?