1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

FFN screw up

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Thaumologist, Nov 20, 2022.

1. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Afternoon all

Was checking my inbox, as I'd noticed no emails from one author I follow that posts daily. No email alerts came through for a while.

Went to FFN, found no updates on story alerts recently, but checking the author alerts showed updates. Went to check the twitter:
    https://twitter.com/FictionPress/status/1590553084685881344
    https://twitter.com/FictionPress/status/1591103781437308929

There was an issue with email alerts. As part of this fix, ALL users have now had email alerts turned off. You need to manually turn this back on, and will need to do this every six months, for some utterly fucking stupid reason.

2. Mr. Mixed Bag

Mr. Mixed Bag Seventh Year

I mean making it a setting is one thing, but the fact that it switches back to no automatically is what I can't wrap my head around. Defeats the purpose of making it a choice in the first place, and I can't see a single reason for it outside of giving people a headache once per six months.

3. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

It sounds like FFN is trying to save money -- sending a bunch of emails that people ignore (or worse, get marked as spam) is actually very expensive at scale.

This uh, is not a good sign. There's an FFN backup project, right?

4. Thaumologist

High Score:
    Based on the info on Twitter, looks like it's supposed to combat bots and inactive accounts, which I have to assume is a cost thing for them.

But not contacting anyone to let them know is a dick move. And they still look to have not fixed the issue with contacting hotmail, for whatever reason.

5. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

Checked my settings, they still seemed to be set to send alerts. Odd.

6. Mr. Mixed Bag

It's not actually in alerts. It's a new option listed as "Email Opt-in" under settings, which is strange, because as far as I can tell having this set to No renders all your alerts settings useless now.

7. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Bit strange, I had to opt in, but the same morning I was getting favourite and follow alerts.

Edit: I did miss several chapter announcements though.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  8. Mr. Mixed Bag

I posted a chapter earlier this morning which usually means at least a couple of reviews in the next few hours from readers with notifications on, but this time nothing. Really few views on that chapter, too, which definitely points to emails not going out. Not sure if it's everyone or just a portion though.

9. Thaumologist

High Score:
    I can't tell whether I was getting story alerts or not, but I was definitely not getting author alerts. Don't have anything written, so not getting notifications for my stuff though.

10. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I discovered this horse shit on Saturday, when I decided the lack of alerts must be FFN fucking up alerts again. I never saw any announcements, I just went straight to my alerts page so I could start manually checking for new stories/chapters, and noticed the Opt-In message.

Some time last year, I had to start getting alerts sent to my neglected gmail account and have it forward them to my Yahoo account, because I simply wasn't getting alerts from them on Yahoo. :rolleyes: Of course, the only reason I have the Yahoo account is because, for some dumb reason, AT&T don't have their own e-mail service; if you get internet through them, you get an @att.net email account, but it's actually just Yahoo.

As a side effect, where you would normally be able to tell Yahoo to allow you to access your mail from a 3rd party app, like Thunderbird, if you try to access security settings like that from an AT&T account, it takes you to a page for AT&T that lacks that option (the last time I checked, at least)... so you're stuck using the browser and getting their lovely ads if you're on AT&T.

It's not like Hotmail and Yahoo are small email providers, and FF isn't exactly an unknown quantity, so I wonder what FFN's problem with those providers (or their problem with FFN) is.

11. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Mine says it'll auto-reverse to no every 90 days.

12. James

James Unspeakable

If it's the same thing as mine, the NOTICE after opting in says "90 days". the MESSAGE IN THE OPT-IN BOX ends with "…Setting will be auto reset to no/disabled after 6 months."

Clearly, a lot of thought had been put into this.

Not to mention sending one email a week before expiry with "click here if you want to continue to receive notifications" is beyond the single ff admin.

13. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Seconding this - Is there a backup project?Between this and the 200 billion ads littering FF.net, the site is not looking particularly healthy…

14. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just yoink your old faves if you haven't already.

There's always Ao3.

15. dudeler

dudeler High Inquisitor

High Score:
    But I hate Ao3 with a burning passion, the tag system is beyond retarded and I can never find what I am looking for. Also it seems like most of its content is romance or slash or some weird kink where Harry ends up being impregnated by Tony stark and Voldemort at the same time.

16. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

That is an oddly specific example.

Anyway, while AO3's tag system is indeed pretty stupid, in most ways it is a major step up from FFN. If you learn how to use their tag filter properly, its much easier to find general categories of fic that you're looking for. Individual titles are still about as frustrating to search for as they are on FFN, in my experience, so make of that what you will.

But otherwise, why are you surprised that it's majority romance/slash/weird kink? That's exactly what FFN is most of the time too, except they have stricter rules about the particular kinds of kink that are allowable on their site.

17. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's not hard to click "Exclude categories" and then check the "m/m" box.

18. Oment

Oment The Betrayer DLP Supporter

There's also browser-based add-ons to exclude tags, authors, etc.

19. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, I've got one set up to automatically exclude Harry/Malfoy, Voldemort/anyone, Snape/anyone and a few authors who are utter dogshit and/or disgusting.

20. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    upload_2022-11-28_11-3-24.png
    So I'm assuming that they added this new email opt in feature in order to make their app look more attractive. I have no idea why they're calling the email updates 'flaky'. I haven't had a problem with them in years.