1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fics featuring well-done Animagus transformations

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by BeastBoy, Jan 15, 2019.

1. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

I feel like so often I read fics where the animagus transformations isn't done very much justices. Either it's too easy to accomplish, or Harry turns into something super edgy like a black and red dragon of death, or the fact that he's an animagus doesn't really matter to the story at all; it's just one of the many things indy!Harry adds to his arsenal of cool magic, never again to come up in the story.

So I'm asking for recommendations where the animagus transformation is done well, or features inventive magic, or is relevant to the plot.

2. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Well... how often would the ability to turn into an animal be useful when you can do magic?
    I can see turning into a dragon or something generally more powerful than one wizard being a useful skill, but there really wouldn't be that many good animals, even including magical creatures, for which one would momentarily give up the advantage of a wand. There was a fic where Harry turned into a mongoose to escape being tied to a chair, but that was literally it; one wonders why he bothered learning it unless he imagined that exact eventuality(Hermione's animagus form was never put to practical use if memory serves). This is from The Many Deaths of Harry Potter, I believe.

3. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The cupboard series (6 books) by Stargon1 has animgaus Harry, further it is plot relevant in the 6th book.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12754810/1/Monstrous

Harry is some sort of animagus monster.

Enter the Dragon by doghead13
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5585493/1/Enter-the-Dragon

Harry is a dragon (it is a shadowrun/hp crossover)

The story is later continued on CaerAzkaban.

I would assume a form of some small bird, allow the wizard to enter certain locations, otherwise he couldn't.
    (If animagus form isn't recognized by defense measures in the location)

Last there is always HoneyBadger!Harry, he doesn't give a fuck.

4. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

There are more things wrong with Many Deaths than just that. Shayne suffers as an author from too many ideas and poor execution.

5. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I read it a few years ago. I merely cited the work as an example of how the ability to turn into one animal is not all that versatile of an ability.