1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

Finally 17! by 9876grpc - M

Discussion in 'Hall of Shame' started by potterheadcharles, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Curry Potter

Curry Potter Second Year

Alright since I'm somewhat responsible for you posting this here by teaching you how to post up fics for review, I'm gonna spend my first ever post on this.

On the off chance you're not a Minion throwaway account, here's the thing. The pairing in itself isn't bad, no one's bashing it specifically because of the pairing, The writing simply isn't good enough. For one thing, Harry gets seduced and has sex with Rose right in the first chapter, there is no meaningful character development or plot advancement. I could go on and on about how many things this fic is doing wrong but yeah. 2/5

2. Odran

Odran Prisoner

Yeah, I can't see how anyone could think this whole thread isn't just plain shitposting.

3. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

...I legitimately believe you to be mentally deficient in some way, OP -- and I don't mean that as an insult like saying "you're a twat", but in the way that there is literally something stopping you from understanding.

If you honestly can't see the problems... Christ, I'm not exactly the sharpest knife in the draw but even I can see them!

4. potterheadcharles

potterheadcharles Third Year

Of course. There is nothing wrong in giving away a little sympathy.

Maybe there is a Rose somewhere and then there is Harry and people are giving them a hard time.

We live in the world of magic.

Fanfiction is nothing if you can't immerse yourself in it and just feel for the characters.

I am just a crazy reader who believes a little too much.

5. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Minister of Magic

Well, you do seem crazy.

6. potterheadcharles

I thank you and I understand, I really do, but maybe its a difference of perception. Someone says Earth revolves around the Sun but people forget that it was later proved that Sun too revolves around the Earth. Its just a matter of perception.

People just stick to a theory and refuse to come out of it even when someone starts banging their head on the table.

7. Stan

Stan Order Member

It amuses me that this story is getting so much attention while better stories up for review and in the library have barely any posts at all.

Well, at least something good came out of this thread. The linked story is quite good. Also, Shezza's Familiar conversations features Harry/Rose and is very good as well.

8. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

"You people" refers to people who spout stupid shit like, "He can't help himself," and "it's not his fault there's this ass in his face and he fucked it".

It's the same fucking thing as saying, "oh she dressed for it," and "it's not his fault she passed out after saying yes". It's misogyny pure and simple.

I'm done. This thread will likely derail into a huge clusterfuck and then get shut down.

The worst fucking part is that this thread isn't even funny enough for a HoS posting. It's just sad.

Let it die, I say.

9. gbbz

gbbz Professor

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

Get off your meds, jeeeeez.

10. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

OP: the saint doth protest too much, methinks. Think on that for a second.

Actual review: Entirely too flippant for a potentially heavy subject, even discounting the yes/no/maybe incestuous situation. Characterisation seems... meh. Hermione is entirely too accepting of the situation (but she can rationalise it away), Molly is so far off her base character that it starts to get a bit outside of suspension of disbelief territory (Chpt 2 start), and Harry... Yeah, no. He gives in after something I can't even describe as token resistance. No reason given, nevermind the age gap or the morality involved, he just gives in, no resistance required.

There is actually a potentially good story in there, if you relate the lack of resistance to use of Love Potions or something similar, but I digress.

The interpunction irks me. And by irk, I mean that I have seen better use of that from fourteen year old ESL pupils. On top of that, the writing is incredibly formulaic at times, both in the first chapter and in two later chapters I skimmed through. To wit:

X [verbed] [adverb] (Chpt 1, first few lines: he beamed proudly.)
    X [verbed] and said (Chpt 1, end of chapter: Al groaned and said)
    "This dialogue is filler," said/asked/replied X [adverb]. (Chpt 1, about 60 % through: said Harry firmly; she asked curiously, asked Rose hesitantly)

Examples obviously not exhaustive.

The topic is not given the proper weight it deserves and which it can have (cf: examples in this thread), and the presentation of it all is plain terrible, wrapped in simplistic, error-riddled writing that veers into serious OOC territory for established characters. The only good point is that it comes off favourable in comparison to the true dregs of FFN, but that is damning with very, very, very faint praise.

1/5, based on what I've seen and admittedly heavily influenced by the problems I have with the interpunction/formulaic writing. Perhaps I'm missing some form of drama that plays out superbly, but I'm not willing to check.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  11. fontisian

fontisian Fourth Year

That is a gross exaggeration. The earth, sun and every other planet in the solar system rotate around the center of mass of the solar system. While this center of mass is not precisely the center of the sun, it is still within the sun itself. The claim that, from a certain perspective, the sun rotates around the earth ignores the huge mass imbalance between the earth and the sun and the effect of other planets. You would have been better of claiming that the earth can be perceived as traveling through a straight line in curved space-time.

In the future, please refrain from including physics in your asinine points.

12. potterheadcharles

I can't believe it. I fucking can't believe it. Do you even know what you are shitting about, Riley, you dumbass. Misogyny, do you know the meaning of the word?

All of you, I don't give a shit what you said. You don't like the fic, the pairing, fucking Harry Potter, I don't mind.
    But this? How dare you, you mindless freak?

Did you even read what I posted?

I keep women in the highest regard of my life, you stupid stupid excuse for a man.

I am a Hindu Brahmin. We worship women. It doesn't matter where we live, what we eat, what we do, but every year, twice for nine days, we worship women nonstop.

God, and I thought these people would give me an open discussion.

Riley, people like you do not deserve to have the ability to spout words from your dirty mouth and type worrds using your slimy hands.

This was my first post and I was happy to get a response, even if it was negetive. But you ruined this for me idiot.

God, 23 and he thinks of himself as the most proud person of the fucking world.
    Eat shit.

13. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Inb4 Hall of Shame.

Edit: Tried to read first chapter. Failed.

14. gbbz

gbbz Professor

That is not a gross exaggeration, it is simply falsehood. To rotate: The act or process of turning around a center or an axis (by http://www.thefreedictionary.com/rotation). The Sun does not rotate around the Earth.

In no amount of exaggeration physics can you say that the Sun rotates around the Earth. The Sun comprises over 99% of the mass of the Solar System. There is no concievable way you could say that the rotation axis is outside the Sun.

EDIT: To say it is a gross exaggeration is like saying that desert is a humid place.

15. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

16. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Like, what?

Just no. I don't support this kind of fics.

1/5

17. Pasta Sentient

Pasta Sentient Disappeared

I would state that the Hall of Shame Nobel Prize go to the OP. His statements that most male would give in regardless not only reeks of misogyny but misandry as well. It is an insult to men and wrongfully stereotypical. Are there men who would give in? Yes, but I bet even the majority of those who did would feel dirty afterward.

And let me say...the men I know and interact with (including those on this site) have far more intelligence and will power to say no than you have insinuated.

Fare thee well, troll.

18. Odran

Odran Prisoner

Nope.

/10chars