1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Fire and Ice by altol - M - FFVIII

Discussion in 'Games' started by Sporangia, May 20, 2009.

1. Sporangia

Sporangia First Year

Title: Fire and Ice
    Author: altol
    Rating: M
    Genre: Romance/Adventure
    Pairing: Quistis/Seifer
    Summary: Seifer and Quistis. One man's redemption. One woman's awakening. Two souls journey into an uncertain future...with even more uncertain feelings. Finished.
    LINK: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1040169/1/Fire_and_Ice

I finished reading this story today, and I was very impressed with the writing, characterization, and intricate plot elements. WARNING: Angst is somewhat over the top (partly because the author was challenged to do so), but if you can stomach it (or just skip over some of it), the story is superb. The angst and romance tie into the pretty well though, so it can't be helped. I had little knowledge of FFVIII before reading this story, and this wiki - http://finalfantasy.wikia.com /wiki/Final_Fantasy_Wiki - helped with some background info. It's not really necessary though because almost everything is explained in the story. One thing I really liked was the reasonable introspection into the characters' motives, which were clearly explained.
    It's an epic. Close to 400k words. Fluffy ending. Lots of of blood, fighting, witty banter, angst, romance, and even some humor. All tied into a good, solid plot. The plot starts pretty late, maybe around chapter 15 (out of 41 chapters), but it's still great - consider the first few chapters as laying out the setting/climate and fleshing out the characters, if you will.
    I'd give it a 5/5.