1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot For a pessimist, I'm pretty optimistic by Annerb - T

Discussion in 'Romance' started by Quiddity, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Title: for a pessimist, i'm pretty optimistic
    Author: Annerb
    Rating: T
    Genre: Romance
    Library Category: Romance
    Pairings: Harry/Ginny, Hermione/Ron
    Words: 6,410
    Summary: Ginny and Harry are forced to share a bed. Of course everything just gets more out of hand from there. Harry/Ginny
    Link: Here.

I don't like romance or pairings. My first WBA comment on this forum was casting shade at What You Leave Behind because I was concerned that that might take over the story. And yet here we have a ridiculously-contrived almost-smut.

So why do I like this?

I'm really not sure.

Partly it's the prose. This is not beautiful in the way The Changeling can soar to heights, but it has a simple flow to it, which carries you along and dulls the contrivance underlying it.

Partly it's the self-assured embrace of the silliness of it. Once the sofa starts doing its thing, it's pretty blatantly winking at the audience about it all, but not in a way that undermines itself.

Partly it's the characterization. Ginny is fully realized, and Harry has that same quiet internalization and composure we see in The Changeling. It's a small beat that's there, but it really works well with his personality.

(No bashing, which is always fun.)

Negatives: the beginning, as they cycle through the reasons no other beds are available, is just on-the-nose about what it's setting up. Besides, it's boring, we know where this is going, and I didn't think it hit a comedy beat if that was what it was going for..

Honestly, it just comes down to something clicking with what this story was trying to do. It's not trying to do much, by any means, but it pulls that off very well.

4/5

Checked by Sorrows: 03/08/2019

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2019
  2. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    An fun fluff piece. I can't figure out when it's supposed to be set though. Christmas during HBP?

4/5

3. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yup.

/10char

4. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Actually pretty good. The premise is faintly ridiculous and contrived, but it does make sense in-universe, so I can let that slide. Pretty funny, well-characterised, and I do have a soft-spot for a well-done Harry/Ginny. It's probably not something I'll remember this time next week, but still a 4/5.

5. Miner

Miner Order Member

It's mildly amusing, and contains a fairly accurate portrayal of teenage thought processes on the subject of relationships. Perhaps Harry's behavior once the couch started doing its thing was... a little too caricatured, but Ginny was wonderfully written.

It's not special, there's nothing about this fic that will make me remember it, and I'll probably never read it again. It quietly does its thing, however, and I did greatly appreciate the fluff when I read it.

3.5/5

6. The Pro

The Pro Seventh Year

High Score:
    Like others have said, it's good for what it is. It doesn't pretend to be something that it isn't, and that's great.

For a fluff piece, I actually liked it. The characterizations were handled pretty well. Ginny and Harry both pretty much fit well with their canon counterparts. Ditto for the twins. It was also amusing when it should have been amusing, so it did what it was supposed to do overall. Nonetheless, there's nothing here that'll make it stand out in my mind.

Still, an easy 4/5. Good, but too easily forgettable.

7. startrekfan

startrekfan Second Year

While this fic is not too bad, in my mind there little to distinguish it from the rest of the fluff out there. While i do at times like a good fluff-fiction, this one does nothing to either catch or keep my attention and while it is not bad, it is unlikely thst I will remember or recommend.

This is why I would rate it a 3/5: well writen but nothing extraordinary.

8. Masticarno

Masticarno Squib

High Score:
    It's a decent piece of fluff, I enjoyed how ginny was portrayed. The whole thing really made sense for how the events progressed.all in all, It was good for what it was and I certainly enjoyed reading it, however it's nothing that will stick with me

I'd give it a good 3/5

9. Lakas1236547

Lakas1236547 Muggle

High Score:
    I feel like the canon characters were almost spot on. It was funny and had just the right amount of fluff. I especially loved the ending. It also captures perfectly the awkwardness of teenagers. It could be a little longer, and I'd love to see another chapter, although I'm okay with it being a one-shot.I'd give it 4/5

10. Utsane

Utsane Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

That is some of the most fun I've had reading fluff in a while. It hits canon on the head of the nail, and the simple, minimalist prose makes reading it so light and easy it feels like I'm running butter over my eyeballs.

4.5/5 for light, minimalist fluff.

11. Kaeling

Kaeling Squib

High Score:
    The characters of the fic fit their canon counterpart perfectly which I rare enough to be mentioned. Otherwise it's a fluffy oneshot without anything exceptional

3.5/5 rounded up for me

12. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Light fluff, done well. Characterizations are spot on. Very smooth to read. 4/5.

13. Azialady

Azialady Squib