1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

For Those Writers Easily Distracted

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Rym, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Rym

Rym Auror

Don't know if anyone's using this, but I downloaded this application yesterday and it's very helpful (there's a windows version as well). I get easily distracted when I sit down to try and write - mostly because writing is hard, and surfing the internet/watching shows online are stupidly easy distractions. So far, this has actually helped me focus.

Basically, you can block everything, just a few sites, or only allow certain things to work.

Linkage.

Just thought I'd post it up, in case it helps anyone else.

2. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    You, sir, deserve a medal.

There have been a few applications like this, but the ones I tried a while back all had an option to disable the timer whenever you chose - which defeated the purpose entirely.

3. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

So an app that would keep me away from the black hole that is TVtropes but won't block off dictionary.com (one of my favourite sites, even though a hardcopy dictionary is superior)? Something better than simply unplugging the modem?

Sounds too good to be true. =O

Time to download. Thanks, truly.

4. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    For those Windows users, you've the choice of ColdTurkey or Freedom (which also has a Mac version).

I think ColdTurkey is the better choice of the two personally, though I don't think either are a patch on SelfControl.

5. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

It's times like these I wish I had a mac. -sigh-

The only problem is that I will postpone turning it on for as long as possible. What I need is something that measures how long I have been online and at like an unknown mark just shut down my internet and be like "WRITING TIME!" I would be pissed, but it would work. XD

Still, I might have to try one of the windows versions and see how that works for me.

Thank you guys.

6. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

I can't help but think of the possibilities for trolling my friends & family....mainly my family.

7. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

I'd suggest pairing this with the OmmWriter if you want to get in the "zone". That app covers the screen and has a very minimalist interface and is designed to block outside influences and other things. The big thing that really makes OmmWriter work is the soundtrack. It has 7 different soundtracks to choose from and each one makes everything slow down and make you focus on what you are doing. When you put in the earphones and start typing it's like your entire life has been reduced to just you and your writing.

I've found that pairing something similar to SelfControl and the OmmWriter strikes a perfect chord and its good for other kinds of writing too. I use it for every essay I do and with it I can pound out those essays in no time.

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

8. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I think if I could install this on the university computers to block Facebook, email and Youtube access, my studying productivity would rise amazingly high.

At home? Even it could not stop the unlimited procrastinations available here.

9. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Awesome stuff. Don't suppose there's one out there that blocks all internet sites except what exceptions you give it, is there?

Edit: Damn, OmmmWriter is awesome.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  10. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There's a whole bunch of these. There's another thread about it. I never really liked OmmWriter's "omm" so I tend to use FocusWriter on Linux and WriteMonkey on Windows.

11. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

SelfControl does that. It's got a blacklist and a whitelist. Black blocks the specified websites, white blocks all BUT the specified websites.