1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Q4 2019 Story Competition is kicking off!

Prompt:
    Foreign Magical Regions (Setting outside of Britain) Length: 2.5 - 5k
    Get writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice

Forum Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Zombie, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Moderator DLP Supporter

I’d like to talk to you today about how to post on DLP. Or any forum, for that matter.

It doesn’t matter how finely crafted your topic is, but when its a wall of text, my eyes, everyone’s eyes, including your eyes, will slide right over that shit faster than a grandma slipping on wet stairs.

It doesn’t matter who posted this, but it's a great example.

So on any other word processor, this might be legible. On a forum, this is not. Lemme tell you why. There are no paragraph breaks.

If you’re highlighting an idea, and then explaining an idea, make it two separate paragraphs.

If I was reading this as a wall of text, I’d slide right through this.

Now if I wrote it as follows:

Someone more creative might use a false memory charm to convince the subject that he or she has done something absolutely dreadful, and threaten to tell tales.

Really, there's a lot of magic that you would think would just cause society to immediately collapse.​

HIT THAT ENTER KEY TWO MOTHAFUCKIN’ TIMES.

Then the idea becomes clear.

There comes a point when its excessive, but if you want your content to be accessible by anyone other than you, you fucking savage (yeah, I’m talking to you), Then for the love of all that is holy, use the enter key.

I’d like to open this thread up for more than just this. What are some key forum tips and tricks that you think will be helpful to users that are new to a forum setting. I am often surprised, after 12+ years on DLP, the number of people that don’t know how to post on a web forum.

So if you got it, share it.

I’ll start it off. For those of you looking to post in WbA, or even if you’re handcrafting a really well thought out shit post response to someone that involves more than 150 words, I suggest using GDoc and then BBCODE EXPORT for maintaining any and all formatting. BBCode is the underlying formatting language that PHPboards, Vbulletin and Xenforo uses for formatting posts. In the text editor, each one of those buttons correlates to a specific BBCode effect.

Formatting is critical but its not the end all. Here on DLP, for example, we like that you use complete sentences and the best bit of grammar you can manage. Leet text and shorthand are for monkeys that type with their thumbs, not for a forum. Proper capitalization, proper formulation of thought, citation, context. These are all key for making your life work on a forum, and on DLP.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  2. Imariel

Imariel Headmaster DLP Supporter

Feel no compunction about using puns with impunity.

3. DR

DR Secret Squirrel ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Learn the difference between transitive and intransitive verbs.

4. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Order Member DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

When discussing a concept or backing an opinion, source yourself where necessary.

For example, off the top of my head: If you want people to know the different between a transitive verb and an intransitive verb, link a source or explain in thread that a transitive verb requires an object in the sentence and can’t stand alone, whereas an intransitive verb can stand alone, such as ‘I laughed’.

If you want people to listen to your rule, explain your basis. :)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  5. DR

DR Secret Squirrel ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The fact that I should have to explain it is the source of my exasperation.

But good tip.

Other word of advice for new users: Some subforums (Politics comes to mind) have specific rules and codes of conduct. Make sure to read them before contributing.

When in doubt, lurk for a while before dipping your feet in.