1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Freedom in the Eyes of Another by Oroburos69 - M - Naruto

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by Ayreon, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Title: Freedom in the Eyes of Another
    Author: Oroburos69
    Rating: M
    Genre: Angst/Adventure
    Fandom: Naruto

Summary: The Wave Mission was a failure. They got caught, captured, taken-it didn't end well. Now Sakura has a half-heard order, uncut fingernails, and more desperation than bravery. One way or another, she's getting Team Seven out today.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7281191/1/Freedom-in-the-Eyes-of-Another

This is a great story I discovered - almost a long Oneshot. All the events in the story take place in a couple of days, but it's still pretty grand in scope. The diversion in the story-line leads to events spiraling out of control in the ninja world, but you see only glimpses of the larger picture.

The story focuses on Sakura trying to escape from captivity after Team 7 was overwhelmed by Zabuza & Haku and taken to Gato.
    It's a pretty dark story, but I really enjoyed it.
    (At least it doesn't make you hate everyone like many other grim/dark stories.)

2. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

It was a fun read - the tension was easy to feel, and the details were gruesome, the Sakura
    under the effects of sharingan
    was maddeningly interesting to read.

All in all, probably the only flaw it has, its that it tries to involve a bit too much happening at the same time, and for one, I don't believe in the way Itachi was handled.

Would like to read the sequel if there was one - it spins the events rather interestingly, however I'm afraid that it the author would be hard pressed to connect everything, thus, ending where it ended.

Anyways, a fun read, easily 4.5/5, and because I liked the mad eye stabbitty stab, I'm rounding up. ;D

3. TSN

TSN Auror

readed it, was awesome. 5 stars

4. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

Well that was way better than what I expected. I don't know how to feel about Sakura managing to not instantly die when she tried to fight Kabuto or Itachi and Kisame being able to show up whenever needed.

That said, I think that Sakura's tenacity and attempts to protect her teammates redeem things a bit.

4/5

5. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I liked it, tension was there and I appreciated the fact that Konoha would do something to get their shinobi back.

One thing I don't think I understood but

Did Kakashi lose his Sharingan or not? It was never outright said and they seem to have been in captivity a long time.

Anyway, 4/5.

6. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

I don't believe so.

I like this. Nauro is right in how poorly they handled Itachi; I would have preferred eye-stabby Sakura to take the lead even more than she did instead.

4/5

7. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Really enjoyed this. 5/5

8. Blank402

Blank402 Second Year

Pretty good story. The only part I didn't like was the scene with Kakashi and Sakura at the end seemed a little too shippy. 4/5

9. Hidden94

Hidden94 Squib

It was great! I to believe that Itachi would not act like that and at the end it was to shippy for my liking. I give it a 5/5.

10. Ayreon

I completely didn't get the shippy vibe.

She was just through a couple of traumatic experiences and Kakashi was comforting her as a parental figure. That's how I saw it at least.

11. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I'll never get people writing Sakura-centric stuff when there are actually useful characters to write about. *Shrug*

12. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Finally got to reading this. Absolutely loved it. Had a very unique feel (probably because Sakura was the protagonist and you don't read that a lot).

Only thing that spoiled it was, as everyone else said, Itachi and Kisame being the knights of shining armour every time Sakura gets into a harder situation.

I also disagree that it felt like a Kakashi/Sakura ship. She spent a month trying to keep him alive, with him stuck in her cell - I'm sure she was very happy to see him awake. Also, very happy to have him return to being the one in charge, so she didn't have to make all the hard decisions.

4.5/5.

I guess reading so much of Naruto gets boring after a while. As for other characters, I think part of the thing that's interesting about Sakura is you can have significant character development by putting her weak-ass self through a hard situation. Now her actually being written as being really strong (via Tsunade training) just annoys me for some reason though...

13. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

I don't see why people prefer Naruto over Sakura. They're characters to shape as you will, they have no value or attraction to me in and in themselves.
    Edit:
    Re: story
    4/5
    Definitely an interesting concept, done in a suitably creepy way. Some moments were off, like Itachi stepping in, but overall it was quite interesting. Some nice ideas.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  14. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

My turn to say that I finally got around to reading this.

It's fantastic. 4.5/5 and rounding up, because not only did I enjoy it but I think the story did exactly what it set out to do. Plus it did it in 20k words, which is great. Fics starring Sakura aren't that common but keeping them focused like this is the way to do it.

I can see why some people got a Kakashi/Sakura vibe from it but I didn't. The first part in chapter one, where they were partially chained together, gave me a creepy almost-shippy vibe but I think that was intended as part of the aspect of them being in such close and uncomfortable quarters.

Naruto is pretty neat. Especially as the author didn't write him as useless or overly scared or anything. He follows Sakura, he fights, he understands what's going on. He's still Naruto, but a Naruto who has been through a much worse experience at a much younger age than he ever did in canon. He's coping. Sakura is just our POV character who has more information. Some of her possessiveness with regards to Kakashi isn't shippy, it's a result of the horrors they've just been through and the way she was spending most of her time trying to keep him from dying.

Zabuza... seemed a little OoC, but not that bad. We know from canon that he had a soft side for Haku so I'm not too opposed to seeing it here, especially as Naruto and Sakura have obviously gained some of his respect.

Itachi? Again, I can sort of see this. If this had actually happened to Sasuke and Itachi knew about it (and he would), he'd probably have rescued his brother. Granted I'd have expected him to do it from behind the scenes, not directly, but whatever.

Honestly, as far as the complaints about the "Knights in Shining Armor" thing go, well, I think it might be more irritating if Sakura and Naruto had managed it by themselves. Shit went down partway through Wave Mission. They were major n00bs then. Suspension of disbelief would be harder if they hadn't had some help, and apart from Kisame (who I can't see helping), the author picked some decent options.

...okay, but later, Itachi showing up again was a bit too much dues ex machina.

Also some of the dialogue at the end didn't *sound* properly like Kakashi.

*thumbs up*

15. Ayreon

There's now an updated and revised version on AO3: Link here.

There are a couple of added scenes and some changes were made. An Epilogue was added as well.

I can't edit the first post anymore. Can an admin add the link to the revised version?
    Thanks!

16. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I'm out of thumbs to give, but this. A thousand times, this.