1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Gabriel by Shikatanai - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Cell, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Cell

Cell Gunner of The Black Poison DLP Supporter

Title: Gabriel
    Author: Shikatanai
    Rating: T
    Genre: Drama/Humor
    Pairing: None
    Chapters: 33
    Words: 135,128
    Updated: June 3, 2012
    Published: December 9, 2005
    Summary:AU: At 5, an abused Harry is taken in by a powerful family. Taking the name Gabriel, he grows up into something very different. How will Hogwarts react? Soldier!Harry, Neutral!Harry, implied child abuse.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2695781/1/

Took a look at it,loved it.My favorite part is that Harry's adoptive uncle kills the Dursleys for abusing him.Harry's a person who will kick anybody's butt who disrespect's his family,and who ever challenges his honor and integrity.

Checked: June 4, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2012
  2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Yeah, I've been reading this awhile now. I forgot to post it here. It's been pretty good so far.

3. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

It's good, if not a little odd, but still pretty good..

4. razz

razz Seventh Year

I've tried reading this one before, but it pissed me off too much. Harry is such a fucking robot, he has no personality whatsoever - I'm not usually picky on characterisation, but here it's just .. arg.

:chainsaw:

5. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Quite good, but I suspect updates will be slow from now on as it says:

"I have destroyed all the major nerves in both of my arms from all my typing, and the doctor said that I need to quit all non-essential computer related activities."

That's alot of typing!

6. Galleon

Galleon DA Member

0_0 Whoa....and I thought I was bad...

7. sirius009

wow how the hell do u hurt your nerves by typing? Honestly though the story has picked up. I like how the Mal Thaes(?) are sort of a crime family, it reminds me of "The Godfather" i love how he doesn't know every thing either. Not knowing about the chamber or about Salazar was oddly refreshing..

8. Liseli

Liseli Guest

This is one of my all-time favorites. I love the Mal Theas; they make me want to speak Hindi.

I feel similarly about my family: friends come and go--your family members are really the only ones you can trust.

I have to say that the fact that Gabriel (as Harry is known in this fic) became a Lt-General at age 9 or something like that is a bit out of range and the names and geneology (despite the family tree on her yahoo group) can get rather confusing.

But all in all, I love it.

9. fantasyfreak

fantasyfreak Fifth Year

I read this story a while ago it's a great idea it seems like one of the few original independent Harry ideas

10. The Sinner

The Sinner Looked into the void

Somewhere between the heretic and Un'aria
    I think the best idea that this author incorporated into this story, and one of the most original ideas I hae seen in a long time is the idea of the Traditionalist families. Just the entire mindframe of it is very inspiring and if that story becomes huge in the fandom, I think we could see another trend spreading around very fast.

11. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

While I recognize it was good, I still hated it.

I can't stand fics where Harry becomes someone other than Harry Potter, and ends up looking different.

And Harry is just too...cold. I dunno, be he seems to be devoid of all emotions and humanly urges besides 'Protect Honor'.

Which is another thing I hate. Honorable!Harry is annoying.

12. sirius009

It is boring as hell but well written..

13. huntedorange

huntedorange Seventh Year

have to say i love this fic, and it just got updated which is an even bigger bonus (the update is massive too) I normally really dislike this sort of fiction but there is something about this one thats i am drawn to, plus the fact it is extremely well written and the author has a great writing style.

14. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I half liked this fic, the thing that really brought the quality down was the fact that Harry kept using Hindu God names, like, "Oh Shiva, blah blah blah." Fuck man, Hindus don't do that shit, we say, "Oh fucking God." just like everybody else. The guy/girl that wrote this story was a complete moron trying to act like s/he knows any other culture than his/her own hick ass town.

"An interesting question that a lot of people ask me after reading "Gabriel" is what ethnicity I am. Now, I find this quite flattering, as I've had people of Indian background asking if I shared their culture, which I interpret as me doing a good job. Actually, I'm homegrown American. My grandfather is from Algeria, and a lot of the French influence in my story is from him, but other than that everything has been researched. I have a deep fascination with other cultures (one of the reasons why I'm currently looking into an endorsement in anthropology) so I do try and keep everything as true-to-life as I can."

Fuuuck that, this bitch don't know anything about shit. Pisses me off, dipshit bastard.

15. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

After a long pause the fic is updated again.

I still have it in my bookmarks and now reread the last three chapters to get back into the story. I really wonder why I didn't delete it yet.

If there is a real plot it is hidden well ... behind all the elements needed to introduce the Mal Thea Family. Rereading the last chapters in one go showed me how randomly chosen some parts seem to be. Certain things are thrown together as if the author got another idea, and the next, and so on ... and never thought about a consistent plotline.

And the last two chapters - both new - are weird. Weird concerning their construction - they jump back and forward - and their content, as the key event of these chapters isn't described at all. Just the surrounding is used to introduce a new character. New? Well - some people might now him. It seems to be a kind of Haku - here as a physically disabled genius with brain instead of ninjitsu.

At the end of the last chapter the plot suddenly moves forward. Suddenly and unexpected some certain plotelements comes into view and it becomes clear that this is no longer neutral!Harry.

At the moment I rate it 3/5. It is not the worst fic out there but not good enough for the library.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  16. raja

raja Fourth Year

I really liked this i havent read the new chapter but the rest of this fic is really good i think. Ill rate it when i finish those two chapters.

17. Dark Minion

Necroed. At first the story and now this thread.

Yes she did. After almost three years, the author added two chapters this month. But is anybody out there still remembering what it actually was about?

Oh, yeah, now I remember. It was about Harry taken in by some French-Indian warlord called Mal Thea, who is now visiting Hogwarts as an exchange student.

The chapters are fillers with Harry's Mal Thea Mum visiting Snape to offer a translation of a parseltongue book and Neville planning something with a bottle of polyjuice potion. And it ends with a cliffhanger. Expect something unsurprising happening soon... in three years or so.

It's still 3/5

18. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I remember reading this long ago. The first chapter caught my attention. I thought it was fairly well-written and introduced the characters and setting accurately. But then he kept introducing the characters and the setting and the plot never really came. I think the author could've introduced those aspects of culture that are significant throughout the story quite successfully without bombarding us with lots of info and no story.

Harry is not really Harry, so that's one star gone. There is hardly any plot-line, that's another two stars gone. The author felt like showing us his/her fascination with foreign cultures and did so by flooding the fic with info and OCs; another star gone.

Gets to keep one star because it's well-written at least.

1/5

19. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Astonishingly, this got updated again, just under a year after the last update. I was shocked as well.

The chapter itself is...short, for one thing - not quite 2000 words, and most of that is Dennis Creevey being a retard. Quite disappointing, really.

20. Dark Minion

Oh - the nostalgic feeling. The first time I posted in this thread was almost exactly four years ago.
    And almost one year ago I predicted the author wouldn't update so soon.

Gladly I was wrong.

Considering that by now the whole story is a disappointment, the new chapter wasn't that disappointing. The first paragraphs actually made me laugh.