1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Galavant

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Heleor, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

A musical parody TV show on ABC that somehow got a second season. Music by Alan Menken and Glenn Slater.

IMDB

It's definitely given me many laughs. I'm partial to musicals in the first place, and this show does not take itself seriously. Anyone else watching?

2. Tsar

Tsar Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Way back in days of old, There was a legend told, Duh duh duh duh duh duh duh Galavant

Catchiest theme song of 2015.

If season two is a good as number one, I hope they beat the cancellation bear again.

3. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Galavant is incredible, and it's probably one of my favourite shows on television atmo. Timothy Omundson just kills it every episode, and Vinnie Jones is awesome in his role. Everyone just does the role so well of course, but I know those two the best from other roles .

4. Heleor

Season finale happened tonight. Weird Al came back too, even with their joke about guest actors being too expensive.

"Shut up Menken" was laugh-out-loud funny as well.

Third season is almost definitely not happening, but this was a refreshing breath of air, especially for a network show. Are there any other recent musical TV series or movies?

5. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4hh1YhDfbA

Example of the humor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNIUkO2o_p4

Main actress is behind "Fuck me Ray Bradbury" and "I steal pets".

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Someone linked it to me a while back, and... I only watched two episodes, but it was pretty hilarious. I could see myself watching it when I have more time.

Here's the Opening (youtube)

...and yes, the entire show is like that, not just the opening.

7. redlibertyx

redlibertyx Professor

I like it but it can be really uneven (that entire episode in the Squire's home village was pretty awful). The second season has gotten a bit better, though.

8. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Sid's village episode gave us one of the great early aside jokes, so no big complaints there: "You know the expression, 'It takes a village'?" "No, I don't think that phrase's been invented yet."

So I'm basically a whore for musicals in general - literally listening to Phantom Of The Paradise's soundtrack as I type this - so combine that with meta humour and dry British delivery, and this show is basically now one of my all-time favourites, like, holy shit. Even if y'all think Season One is a bit rough in places, follow through onto Season Two because it is just an amazing ride, straight-up. The finale tonight completely nailed it, to the point where I'm completely satisfied if they don't get picked up for a third season.

Eighteen episodes, over fifty songs composed by Disney legend Alan Menken, a main cast who are always hilarious, endearing and with great character development, more cameos/guests than you can shake a stick at (Weird Al, Ricky Gervais, Nick Frost, Eddie Marsan et cetera), and, well, it's, in the end, a happy show. And some of the gags they come up with would make Monty Python proud, so, I mean, fuck yeah.

When you're done with the episodes (they're on Hulu and the ABC website) you can download the official soundtracks on iTunes - hell for a while there all of Season One was free to download there - or just listen to them on Spotify or the CastOfGalavant YouTube account. Spotify's is only for Americans, unfortunately, but there's always Hola Unblocker, or just search for the episode versions on YT (Dan Nation here has the most). All of Season Two's soundtrack - thirty or so songs - is available now, but there's more than a few songs missing from Season One's, unfortunately.

In an effort to add some discussion because I'm still vibrating after finishing the finale, what were y'alls favourite songs from Season Two overall? Like, we got a hell of a selection to choose from. Also, since we're also trying to convert people, use spoiler tags, yeah? Favourite songs:

The homages to other musicals were especially delicious; I've had Richard and Roberta's Summer Nights homage in my head for a week, man. And the West Side Story spoof with Giants Vs Dwarves (Also with a bit of Pocahontas's savages song) was amazing, would've killed for a longer version of that. Also, Sid's realistic Les Miserables song - Today We Rise - is so hilarious; doubly so since someone actually made a video of it playing over scenes from Les Miserables.

Yeah, waaaay too may choices even beyond that. Opening Season's song, with the meta humour, was a hell of a way to start off. And the fucking Isabella Vs Madalena rap battle nailed it. Richard's song to Tad Cooper, Gareth's Disney Princess song, Chef and Gwynne's third peasantry ballad, The World's Best Kiss, all the final battle songs ("It's a good day to die." "We won't there's one more episode." and "Oh please this isn't Game Of Thrones."). And then there's Goodbye, which goes full Monty Python there with Death's lyrics (And "I am just some random guy." made me crack the fuck up)...

I regret asking this question now. Fuck you, me, they're all my favourite.

And favourite characters?

As I said, I kinda love everyone, but Richard and Madalena's developments, man. Right from the first episode we kinda knew Madalena was more than she seemed, but damn if she didn't go full ham with her path, holy shit. And yet, Season Two still humanised her and created the most "I did not expect this to make me feel things" relationship out of it. Also, she's very hot, so, y'know, bonus. Meanwhile, Richard's transformation was amazing, totally believable yet funny, and Timothy Odmunson's glorious facial hair and singing voice do things to us all, which is yet another bonus. Such a crazy contrast to his role in Psych, it's unbelievable. Loved it.

As for side-r characters, Chef stole the show in Season One for sure, along with Isabella's parents, but come Season Two it was totally Wormwood for me. The mix of his obvious evilness yet commitment to his wedding planner gig was the gift that kept on giving, right up 'til the end. And poor, dumb, Barry...

And best laugh-out-loud moments for y'all?

- Galavant, upon waking up in the afterlife: "Fucking Sid."
    - The entirety of the Forest Of Coincidence, fucking amazing.
    - Wormwood and Madalena's scene in the tent.
    - "Uncle Keith? But dad said you went into the Enchanted Forest and never came out!" "Other way around, kid."
    - Back in Season One, since I can't not mention it, the entirety of Secret Mission.
    - In the finale, Richard getting a speeding ticket on the horse. Like the best ten second joke ever.

And, like, a million others I'm forgetting.

So there we have it. My show. It's like a thousand times better than Game Of Thrones at this point, that's for fucking sure. I know this won't exactly be most of DLP's jam - if it is, come forward and say so! - but I'll recommend it 'til the end of time.

9. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

I saw this on ABC when it was first airing last year and immediately feel in love. This show fucking rocks, and season one was glorious in its entirety, from Galavant picking himself up from his rut, to John Ham, to King Richard and Gareth, and goddamn The Chef and The Jester both. All of the humor is self satire, and everything is so tongue in cheek that it flows together so damn well.

At the same time, with all of the humor and singing, it still managed to tell a cognizant story with great characterization and invest in you the plot.

I haven't watched Season 2 yet, as I decided to wait for all the eps to be out so i can binge. 3 Episodes in, so far.

---------- Post automerged at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

Also, Holy shit, The Chef's line about 'throwing the rest to the White Walkers.'

Fucking gold.

10. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    MattSilver This is practically the second show you made me start watching.

11. Ched

Gag Reel :awesome (Gag Reel part doesn't really start til around 2m10s)

I think "Today We Rise" is my favorite so far.

12. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

I just finished season 2 an hour ago and I have to say, I haven't been this thoroughly entertained with a tv show in years.

The first few episodes of season 2 picked up slow, but the later episodes were gold.

13. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Tad Cooper for the win.

14. Rden0n

Rden0n Muggle

Damn it, why don't people love this show? It is a damn shame it is likely to get cancelled.

15. Ched

What have the general ratings and reception been like? It seems like everyone I know who has heard of it loves it, but that most people have never heard of it. It did well enough to get a second season, but I take it that was one of those 'just barely' things?

16. Heleor

They reference it in a few of the songs, but the ratings have been abysmal. The fact that they actually got a second season was nothing short of a miracle or a pre-existing contract for two seasons.

17. redlibertyx

redlibertyx Professor

Well, they're terrible ratings for a major network. The show would probably get renewed on the CW.

18. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

It's basically loved by critics and people with a sense of humor, but season 2 barely happened, and the ratings have gone down quite a bit this season.

It's on and gone so quick that I imagine people will just wait for the season to finish and marathon it, so I'm not surprised the ratings suck.

19. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

This show is amazing, it cannot die.

20. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

While I do want more seasons, because Galavant is just pure brilliance - I could accept S2 ending where it did. The writer did a good job tying up all the loose ends. The only thing left to resolve is the whole
    Gareth rescuing Madalena thing. The feelz.