1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Games you wish were made

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Celestin, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

As in the title. It can be a sequel or a revision of existing game or something completely new.

1) Superman game similar to Arkham series.

2) An open world A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones game.

The main thing I want it to have is a possibility to change the outcome of book events. That player's actions and decision would affect fates of at least main characters and even decide who ends up on the Iron Throne, including the main character.

3) A tactical shooter G.I. Joe game where you can play both as Joes and Cobra.

4) An open world superhero RPG in either Marvel or DC universe. Marvel is probably easier to make because it has its all major superheroes in one city.

If I were to make one, this is how I would do it. You start with creating your own character and giving him or her a basic origin that would define their powers:

- mystical - finding an old book of magic,

- genetic - you're either a mutant or were transformed like Spider-Man or Captain America,

- technical - you're an engineering genius or just found an advanced technology,

- not of this world - your parent/parents are aliens,

- no special powers - that would probably be the hardest mode to play.

There are three kinds of quests/missions:

- solo - fighting villains on your own, helping people in trouble when you're patrolling the city,

- team-ups - meeting other superheroes and helping them fight their villains,

- events - the biggest missions that involve every superhero in the city.

You can become friends with other superheroes and even join other teams which unlocks special missions only available to them.

I'm unsure about giving a player a chance to play as their alter-ego. While in my opinion any truly perfect Spider-Man game needs to involve Peter Parker living his troubled life (if you don't beat a villain before the timer is up, you will be late for your date), Batman game doesn't really need Bruce Wayne. The same goes for this kind of game. Some players would want their characters to have a personal life, others would want only to play the part that happens when they're in the costume.

And there are two ways of making choices. A hero choice and an anti-hero choice. Depending on how you behave, it changes how the city's population and other characters treat you. If you decide to be like Punisher small supervillains will end up being terrified of you and the police and superheroes will try to hunt you down. I would probably make it into an achievement. ;)

Even more extended version of this game gives option to play a villain that mirrors everything that superhero can do and even allows to change sides at least once, setting you on the path to redemption or damnation.

As you can probably guess, this is a game that I really wish was made.

2. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I want an open world HP rpg. Being able to study dark arts and still do the canon stuff and defeat voldemort, or just be a normal kid, yet still turn out evil and overthrows the ministry. You can level up, gain extra skills for attending more classes and doing better in them, and gain XP by completing quest, going into abandoned corridors to kill bats and rats, going to the forbidden forest to kill acromantuals, and go into the highlands to fight giants.

3. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

A big ass HP RPG would be cool. I still can't believe there hasn't been a giant console Pokemon game.

4. Fishy Justice

Fishy Justice Fourth Year

Zone of Enders 3.

Anything like the first Drakengard(Spoilers!).

A space combat game with high speed 3 dimensional combat. I haven't seen anything that quite matches what I'd like. Think Cowboy Bebop-esque style.*

And I'm always looking forward to the MMOs that successfully manage to have an action rpg set up that feels precise and skill oriented, preferably with a variety of weapon movesets and junk.

EDIT:*Mobility might be a better word.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  5. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Since you brought up a Superman game, I'd like to see a duology of games where you play as the Golden Age versions of Batman and Superman. They'd be set in the late 1930s/early 40s or so, so you'd have cool retro versions of Metropolis and Gotham in the same vein as LA Noire or Bioshock.

I'd envision these not as straight Golden Age adaptations, with the time period's conceptions of the characters, but rather the modern interpretations of the characters thrown back in time. So you'd still have concepts like Alfred that the Golden Age version of Batman didn't really have, and similarly you'd have the modern conceptions of Krypton and such, with Superman's powers being lifted from the 1940's Fleischer cartoons.

This Batman would be less like the Arkham games' brawler and much more of a stealthy detective, given that body armor would be less advanced at this time period, though he'd definitely still do some fighting. There'd be more focus on solving mysteries and such -- without the aid of a supercomputer and other advanced technology the modern version of him has, so it'd be more like LA Noire, again, where he solves cases just using his own brain.

Superman has yet to really be done right in a game, and part of that is that it seems like everyone wants to make him Samus and have him lose all his shit when the game starts. I say give him all his powers, and limit them based on what he's fighting or what he's doing. It's what he does anyway. He uses different amounts of strength depending on whether he's fighting normal people or superhumans, he doesn't spam his heat vision on mooks, etc. It's not that different from Arkham Batman really, who clearly ramps up his fighting techniques when he's fighting things bigger than mooks, who can actually take it without him killing them.

An alternate game mode for Superman could be playing as Clark Kent. He'd have his own detective portions in this sense, where you use x-ray vision and super-hearing to investigate stuff, and maybe subtle implementations of powers to do stuff while maintaining your cover.

I also desperately want this, with most of what you listed, but I think it'd be better with a well-made custom universe than trying to fit it into the DCU or Marvel.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  6. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Next gen Star Ocean.

I need it.

7. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Well the Witcher 3 and Kingdom: Deliverance should help you out there. Both have a (semi-)realistic medieval world and are heavy on personal choices effecting the world.

My wish-list is:

a) A Warhammer 40k space game where you are captain/admiral of those massive ships and wage war on humankind enemies.

b) A Warhammer RPG/Strategy game mix like the King Arthur games. Its setting is perfect for something like that and I would really love to b able to explore the Old world in that way. ( I have some hopes that CA is developing something in that direction)

c) A new Stars Wars: Jedi Knight title.

d) A new Star Wars: Empire at War

8. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Left for Dead 3 and Half Life 3.

9. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Warhammer, both 40k and Fantasy, have such amazing potential for more video games than what we've seen so far, it's really unbelievable we haven't seen a Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader or Black Crusade RPG.

Not to mention that you have a plethora of time periods to choose from. Personally, I'd love to play a game that revolves around the period of the Great Crusade, in the 30th millennium, that lets you start out as just a recruit for one of the Astartes Legions. Preferably with being able to choose one of the 18 Legions to start in and then when the time for the Heresy comes up, you could stay loyal to the Emperor or side with Horus.

10. Pieman

Pieman Seventh Year

Quidditch Manager 2015 for mobile.

11. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Mmmmm, I remember absolutely loving the first Zone of Enders game when I played it. Also, for whatever reason Descent Free Space generally felt pretty fast-paced, and with some ships in particular more so than others, mobility based. That was a long time ago though, on both accounts.

I remember hearing something about a Warhammer Fantasy in the vein of Total War series, too... From a quick search, all I've got is that they[Creative Assembly] are working on a game using the Warhammer Fantasy IP, with a release date beyond 2013(obviously). Not entirely sure what style of game, but it would probably mesh fairly well with a modified Total War gameplay style.

-----

Back to the original question.

1. Another good game in the Seiken Densetsu(Secret of Mana) series. Secret of Mana(Seiken Densetsu 2) was the first game I ever personally owned(the youngest sibling) and completed. Seiken Densetsu 3 was never localized, but I played it translated on an emulator. The last one that I played and enjoyed was Legend of Mana. I haven't really taken to any of the following games.

2. Another game in the Ogre Battle Saga.

3. Something like Legend of Dragoon.

12. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    An open world game set in the Mistborn universe, although set during the Alloy of Law period. So much potential for epic. Three different magic systems (kinda sorta) that can be blended together to create weird and wonderful powers, guns, cowboys, criminals, big plots...

Star Wars: The New Jedi Order. Something akin to the old Jedi Knight games, but set during the Yuuzhan Vong invasion. Never going to happen due to that series (and everything else) being written out, but it could be awesome. A wide variety of setpieces to play through, scope for a sprawling story...

13. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

All I wanted as a boy was a true Pokemon game on the Gamecube.

14. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Limiting powers is a good concept. Additionally, in Superman Returns game they replaced his health with damage meter of the city which could be used when fighting villains that can't hurt him.

Playing as Clark Kent is something that I want to be included. Not only as few missions, but to have him interact with his friends and coworkers. I could be done in a classic way or like Morrison did it in his Action Comics. For some reason he is the only writer that managed to sell New 52 Clark, Jimmy and Lois as young friends that like to hang out together. Lately nobody even bothers with this side of Superman's life.

It could be a custom universe, but since creating a good one would add even more work to already big game, it would be better to use already existing one. And it would make this game more likely to succeed financially.

One more thing I would add to this game is mod tools for people to create their own missions or even adapt existing comics into the game.

More games:

1) Doctor Who RPG similar to Chrono Tigger.

2) An open world strategy game.

Something like Total War series, only the whole map would be put together instead of having battles happen in the closed provinces.

3) A new Vampire The Masquerade game.

Preferably with the old World of Darkness.

4) Dresden Files RPG.

The most innovative part could be ability to travel to the Nevernever. You could open a portal anywhere trying to guess to what part of it it will transport you.

And I would start action few months before the Changes and allow players to completely change Dresden's life depending on their decisions.

15. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I've always wanted a remake of this game. Think Fifa where a drop kick to the face is allowed.

16. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    When I posted earlier, I ruled out the idea of a Malazan game, but the more I think about it...with the variety of races, political manouvering and all out war, there's a huge amount you could do in the game, and it wouldn't have to be tied to the plot of the books, because one of the main thematic points is that even that world shaking plot is just one tiny fraction of the world's history. It'd have to be open world, but the world would be your oyster. Join the Crimson Guard? Join the Malazan forces? Roll as one of the Tiste Andii mercenaries? Or simply start out as a farmer and see how quickly you can get yourself to Ascendant status?

17. melior

melior Seventh Year

1.) Jade Empire 2.

2.) Open world Wheel of Time RPG set after the Breaking and during the construction of the White Tower. I actually made a bunch of notes a long time ago on what this would entail, though I couldn't tell you where that is now.

I'm a big fan of strategy RPGs, and I actually plan to make some of those myself. Every few months I start down that path, then I get distracted by reading or writing or playing video games.

Also, I'll toss in my vote for that open world Harry Potter game. It sounds way better than anything they've got now.

18. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I don't think there's a physics engine in existence that could handle all that braid tugging and skirt readjusting.

19. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    STALKER 2 or a multiplayer Stalker clone

20. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Pokemon Snap 2. Tried an emulator today, got everything working except the background. Apparently I can either have the red dot (and thus working pictures) or have all my non-pokemon surfaces covered by little untextured black squares of varying sizes).