1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Gaming mouse - advice needed

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Absolutista, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Absolutista

Absolutista Fifth Year

Alright, I've been using a regular mouse for far too long. Decided to give myself a proper mouse. Trouble is, I dont really know what to choose...

From what I've seen, Razer Naga and Deathadder seem pretty good. Plus you can turn their led lights off (I hate those massive leds)
    Naga has tons of extra buttons, but I can't decide if that's a plus or minus overall.

On the other hand theres Logitech G500 and G700: I find the color design of the former to be awkward but that isnt the main issue. I have read mixed reviews about that one.
    And G700: Some of extra buttons positioning seem pretty weird, being 'bellow' the wheel.... But it does get a lot of love from reviews Ive read so far.

Any thoghts on those mices guys? Or do you suggest I get one I have not mentioned?

2. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

I can recommend the Naga personally. Had it for about a year now and it's completely awesome.

The extra mouse buttons is pure joy when playing any kind of mmorpg.

As far as fps games goes it's not really necessary with the extra buttons, but you can usually find some nice uses for them there aswell.

The only negative thing I have about it is the price, it isn't exactly cheap. Still, if you like gaming, it's worth it.

3. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nope. My advice:

Get an MX518 (or if you're feeling adventurous the newer version G400 — there is/was an issue with some of these so you might want to research this.) It's a relatively cheap, reliable and powerful mouse will last you for years while performing at a decent DPI with enough buttons.

That said, if the shape of the MX518 doesn't suit you, get a Steelseries, wired Logitech, MSIE or a Zowie.

Razer and Roccat are no-goes in my opinion and wireless mice should just generally be avoided.

EDIT: If you can possibly manage it, find somewhere that sells these mice physically, even if you don't end up buying it there, it's important to get a good feel of how big/small it is for your needs.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  4. Azira

Azira High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I enjoy my Logitech G9x alot, very responsive, you have removeable weights to adjust it the way you like, theres a smooth grip and a rough grip included. The downside is it doesn't have many buttons, just standard in that department so if you want it for hotkeying shit in a mmo, maybe the Naga is a better choice, but I played end-game raiding at a "high" level with it to satisfactory results in WoW so the extra buttons were never an issue for me.

5. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Yeah, I've got the Logitech G5. Had it for 5 or 6 years now and it's been reliable. Very comfortable, but does not have many extra buttons attached to it. My favorite part is the weights that can be added or removed though.

6. Absolutista

Absolutista Fifth Year

Thanks mate. I can see that for MMORPGs the huge amount of buttons are quite handy. But, as you said, for other game its simply overkill..
    The design kinda scares me; it doesn't seem confortable to sit my thumb on the buttons. I could be wrong, ofc. I Need to get to a physical store and try em out, as enembee mentioned

The G400 looks quite nice and it seems that the MX518 went out of line. Couldn't find it at the Logitech website...

Steelseries seems pretty similar to some of the Logitech mices, but they lack 4-way wheels. Although in the end this will probably hardly matter. Most of the models I've looked into had too few buttons though.

I couldn't find any info in "MSIE" mices, though.

And while I relate to your opnion on wireless mices, the G700 can be attached to a USB cord. So I guess you could call it a wired mice aswell.

And could you elaborate on why Razer and Roccat are no good?

About feeling them out before purchasing it online: I will most definitely try do to this although I have a feeling I wont be able to test some of the models.

I had only spared a glance at this model before I read your post. Looked a bit deeper now. I've seem one mention of "bad buttons positioning and a too sensitive left mouse button". Are those really issues? Anyhow, I will keep reading on it. It has caught my interest aswell

Damn. You guys are actually making my choice harder :(

7. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I used a G5 for about 4 years before it finally died, and it was a very good mouse. I'd probably buy another one once my current mouse dies.

Razor mouses are awful (supposedly), I've seen many people complain about them on some of the other forums I visit.

8. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I currently have a Cyborg RAT 7.

Without a doubt the best mouse I've ever used, hell expensive though.

[​IMG]

9. The Arid Legion

The Arid Legion Professor

What Jon said. That thing is amazing. Expensive, but amazing.

10. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  11. chriar

chriar Third Year

I would second the recommendation of Cyborg mouses, though I would buy a M.M.O 7 only has 5 buttons by the thumb, but has 2 shift buttons so you have 17 keys. Personally I play a lot of mmos so I need the keys. Also if the you don't think you need the 12 keys on the naga, Razer sell a Naga Hex which has only 6.

12. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm using a Razer Deathadder, and I like it quite a lot. The only issue I would say, is that the grip is quite smooth and takes a bit of getting used to if you've used one with a more grippy surface in the past.

Once you get used to it though, there's absolutely no problems whatsoever.

13. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Razer/Roccat are gimmicky and cheaply made. I've gone through 2/3 Razers and 2 Roccats, they're just flimsy plastic tat. That said, some people tell me that Razer are less shit these days, but I won't ever pick up another one of their mice ever again. In comparison, I've used my MX518 since it first came out and despite having it in my bag at a LAN when a bottle of water burst and accidentally kicking it down a flight of stairs, it still works perfectly. The only reason I'm not using it is because I've got the G400 which admittedly isn't quite as fugly.

The MSIE is a classic gaming mouse, steelseries do a version of it in conjunction with Microsoft.

Something else you may want to consider are the new Corsair mice which are made from aluminium rather than the traditional plastics. The M60 particularly, though I'd research these a little before investing. I've never used one personally, but their new line of keyboards are pretty good, though with some notable cheaping out.

Another respectable manufacturer is Qpad, who until recently have only produced mousemats (and easily the best at that) but have recently started producing mice and keyboards. Again, I've never used their mice (love logitech's feel way too much) but they have a really unique shape and aside from the mouse, I prefer a qpad mousemat and keyboard over any other combination and I've used dozens of other peripherals in my day. The downside being that like everything Qpad make, they're very expensive.

Personally for me, I've always considered the Cyborg as a horrible mouse, it just didn't fit my hand or my grip at all, even with one of their spokesmen personally setting one up for my grip. On the other hand, I know plenty of people who swear by it and I've got oddly shaped hands (large palms, tiny fingers).

Zowie's EC2's are one of those mice that are really controversial for some strange reason. For some people they're the best thing since sliced bread, for others they're the devil's instrument. IMO, they're just a standard 5 buttoned mouse design but with a huge focus on pure engineering and quality. But I get the impression that because they're still 'fringe' there's a huge subset of people who regard them with suspicion. Not to mention they're using CS players to market them who haven't been competitive in 7~ years which is always going to make some people go 'wtf?'.

Honestly, a lot of choosing a mouse is personal preference, I've found a shape and company that suits me and probably won't ever move away from Logitech, barring a massive fuck up in their design or quality. Though my experience has generally been to stay away from 'attractive' products and pick things that are functional, robust and do the job with a minimum of fuss.

14. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

LOL. Isn't that always the way?

It is for me, anyway... but I'm pretty much the king of indecision.

I'm currently using the Logitech MX518 (with the funky, gray, 'speedholes' finish). I actually got it quite a while back, then passed it on to my 'secondary rig' when the Logitech MX400 laser mouse was dirt cheap for Black Friday a few years ago.

The MX518 works really well, has a nice shape, and the sensitivity buttons are handy. It has five tiny mouse feet which stayed on pretty well, until a few days ago, when the two nearest me finally came off.

However, the top surface (unlike the rubberized sides) is smooth. Anyone who has owned a few mice can tell you that, for whatever reason, crud can build up on the buttons of smooth mice... a process which is only hastened if you snack while you game.

The MX400, which I purchased later, also worked really well, and it had a matte finish that didn't suffer from said crud problem, which I much preferred.

I liked it too, but, the reason I am currently using my older MX518 again is because the left button on the MX400 became sluggish, then completely died on me. Whether this is because I simply used it that much (a very real possibility), or it is inherently less durable than the other, I do not know. Either way, I'm now using my older mouse on my main PC.

Both mice had features that I could not use, due to the fact that I either had not installed the special Mouseware drivers, or wasn't running a new enough OS. With the MX400, that feature was the ability to click the center wheel side to side, for an extra two buttons. In the case of the MX518, it was the ability to manually set the DPI to which either sensitivity button switched.

I've played a gazillion hours of games, not to mention browsing the web and such, with this mouse, and it's still going strong (though the rubberizing on the sides has worn away at the pressure points and, as stated earlier, the rear feet are now gone). As enembee stated, it's a workhorse.

Also like enembee, I've been stuck on Logitech for years, ever since the (almost bizarrely triangular) Mouseman95.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  15. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Like enembee and Warlocke, I'm an unabashed Logitech fan when it comes to mice. I used an MX510 (the MX518's predecessor) for around 6 years before it died, then replaced it with an MX400. The MX400 served me well, though the rubber coating on the sides started coming off after a year or two. That mouse is still alive as my backup - I recently replaced it with a G500. The G500 is a little bigger, and it took me some time to get used to the size, but now that I've adjusted, I love it. The adjustable weights are nice, and I like the ability to change the sensitivity on the fly (great for switching between kits in Battlefield - low sensitivity for sniping, high for assault). I've never really used extra mouse buttons, so the fact that it only has 3 has never bothered me.

I've tried out Razers before, but I never liked the feel. They're really light and require a totally different hand position than the Logitech models. I should also note that the G9 is completely different from other Logitech mice - you have to float your hand over it and control it with your fingers, much like with a Razer. The majority of Logitech designs let you rest pretty much your whole hand on the mouse, and you control them with your palm.

16. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

I have a G500, and I love it. Like the G5, you can add and remove weight as you need/want - but I found that I really like a heavy mouse.

That RAT looks like a Terminator crossed with a Transformer.