1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Gloves by Myst Shadow - K+ - Oneshot.

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by TripticWriter, May 3, 2007.

1. TripticWriter

TripticWriter Groundskeeper

Title: Gloves
    Author: Myst Shadow
    Rating: K+
    Genre: General/Drama
    DLP Category: General
    Pairing: none
    Words: 1,870
    Published: May 3, 2007

Summary: (Vignette; End of first movie) Harry doesn’t like fire anymore.
    Link: Link

Well, I just found this little one-shot and found it quite good.

The scene take place at the end of first year after Harry killed Quirrel and he is trying to cope whit his action. That's already a good point for the story because we always forget that he has indeed killed the man.

Don't worry, not much drama here but more a realistic way to show one of Harry's first loss of innocence.

So I hope you enjoy my first contribution to the Library ^^.

Checked by Minion, July 27, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2013
  2. raja

raja Fourth Year

It was ok. But there are already better one-shots that have this same type of writng style, whatever you call it. I didn't particullarly care for it 2/5

3. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

I liked it. Well written with originality (at least, in my eyes).

4/5

raja: Are there any others like this?

4. malaga

malaga Auror

It was interesting, melancholy without straying into angst. I also liked the fact that Harry actually is thinking, which happens way too rarely in cannon. I wonder what would happen if that went the other way, and Harry started to think of fire as a protector? He could become a pyromaniac Harry! Burn baby burn!

5. Dark Magic

Dark Magic Denarii Host

You're right. Everyone ignores the fact that Harry actually killed a man. In fact, I think that this could have turned into a good fic if it wasn't a one-shot.

I'll give this story a 4/5.

6. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Solid one-shot. I've never seen this topic explored before. It's definitely something that got skimmed over at the end of PS.

4/5

7. sincostan

sincostan High Inquisitor

4/5. I like the sympathetic portrayal of Quirrell that was believable and not over the top.

8. Portus

Portus Heir

Hard to believe I had overlooked this little gem when I love the author's Forging the Sword so much, but there you are.

I really enjoyed the story; it was well-written and the pacing was very good. The vivid imagery of burning skin, muscle, bone, etc., reminded me that it's been a long time since I really read that part of SS/PS.

The author's notes also provide good insight into the thought process, such as addressing the Thestrals issue should Harry actually deal with his guilt or the reality of Quirrell's death, and made me appreciate the writing that much more.

The only gripe I could raise is that in reality, it was Quirrell's choices that ultimately caused his death, not Harry's actions, even though Harry won't be able to see or accept that for years, if ever, and maybe that's the point of this Harry's introspection, that he cannot or will not really see that he is arguably less responsible for Quirrell's death than Dumbledore, and certainly far less to blame than Voldemort and Quirrell himself.

I'd give it a solid 4.5/5, and really, I should say 5/5 but something is holding me back.

@raja: I'd definitely be interested in links to the similar one-shots you mention.