1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Go Quietly Into That Winter's Night - Vash The Unholy - M

Discussion in 'Dresden Files' started by Jon, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Title: Go Quietly Into That Winter's Night
    Author: Vash The Unholy
    Rating: M (R)
    Pairing: Canon in beginning, later to change.
    Chapters: 3
    Words: 19,230
    Updated: March 2, 2008
    Published: April 29, 2007

Summary: When one choice can change everything, earn all that you have ever wanted, but could cost everything if you were careless, what would you do? With the deck stacked against you, you even the odds by any means. [Summer Knght Spoilers. Begins at end of SK]
    Link: DLP FFn

Moar. 'nuff said.

Checked by Minion, January 5, 2013
    I copied parts of Vash's post (see below) and put it up in here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013
  2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nice one Vash, only a couple of errors:

Tenses change mid-sentence there and "mad" should "made".

Other than that I didn't pick up any, good job.

I like the way this is going, write up the next bit soon will ya? :p

Aekiel

3. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Aekiel LIES, there are no mistakes, I am the Beta Master, I don't make mistakes. His chapter is a mastery of Grammar and Tenses and Punctuation.

To the review,

I reviewed sensibly on FF.net so here you get a fan boy review:

MORE SEXY MAB!!

But seriously this fic is going in an excellent direction, one that I have wanted to see done, ever since I read this book. So far you are doing the "What if?" great justice.

4. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Looks good; I like this side of Mab's character you are starting to create. You've also managed to accurately capture 'The Tao of Jim Butcher' in your way of writing things.

It seems like everybody is writing a bit of Butcher now. Not that I'm complaining - I love the series. ;) Hell, even I wrote a crossover of sorts in Circular Reasoning, though it was mostly just me borrowing Mab's character.

Maybe DLP will be where the Dresden Files fandom really kicks off.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  5. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

[Fic] Go Quietly Into That Winter's Night - Vash The Unholy - M [Dresden Files]

Title: Go Quietly Into That Winter's Night
    Author: Vash The Unholy
    Rating: M (R)
    Pairing: Canon in beginning, later to change.
    Summary: When one choice can change everything, earn all that you have ever wanted, but could cost everything if you were careless, what would you do? With the deck stacked against you, you even the odds by any means. [Summer Knght Spoilers. Begins at end of SK]
    Link: DLP FFn

Just a thread for responses of those few who care. ^_^

Edit: also moved old responses here, which screwed the thread and moved this post down. >.>

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  6. Glernaj

Glernaj Stab Executive DLP Supporter

I now put forth a motion to fire Nuhuh as a beta-reader. Other than that, excellent chapter Vash!

Of note: LeanenSidhe should be Leanansidhe. <_<
    This needs as 'as I could' or somesuch before the termination of the first sentence.

7. Fulgar

Fulgar Second Year

The ending scene of The Winter's Bloom was hilarious, awesome job Vash.

Edit: Mistake editted. :eek:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  8. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Take it you've never seen Wayne's World then :p.

Also, woo hoo! Winter's Night! Yay! All we need is Harry/Mab :D.

Aekiel

9. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Still thy tongue, cur!

But as for the story itself, it presents a fascinating question, one that I think most readers of Summer Knight have pondered, what would happen if Dresden accept the role of a Knight? It's hard to say how Butcher would've written something like that, but to be honest, I don't really care. I really enjoyed reading this story, but sometimes following all the obscure sidhe mythology is a bit difficult, especially with the wholly unfamiliar names and speed of information thrust at the reader.

I wasn't sure at all how you'd be dealing with the trickery aspect of faeries, a concept that most authors can't quite seem to fully grasp. Honestly, it seems like you have a very good handle on the Dresden mythos in general, to the point where the characters seem to acting entirely within the bounds of what you'd expect.

Now I just want to find out what happens next.

-J

10. Antivash

... this is a lot of information? BWAHAHA! Ive got PAGES of notes on just sidhe.

Simple one line sentences or two or three words here and there to remind me of my thoughts. I can safely say you have not seen even a fourth of what I have for the sidhe.

But I agree, all of this was thrown pretty fast. Sort of meant it to be to attempt to convey more of Dresden's confusion and sense of being out of place.

It'll slow down and a lot of what was in this chapter will be reintroduced later and explained a lot more.

Oh I has a lots of tricksy ideas for the sidhe and such. Maeve and Mab are the one mostly playing Harry (as we've seen, if you look close enough and examine Mab's attitude and know enough bout Maeve to understand Trista's position), but the character of Aspara wont be idle. She was a favorite of mine.

11. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I don't want to read it if there are spoilers for the later Dresden books as I've only read up to book six. I'll come back and read it after I finish all the written books.

EDIT: Wait, it this is an AU starting at Summer Knight than does it even have spoilers from later books?

12. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My single, solitary problem with this story is where I see it going as of now: smut. These last couple of chapters seem to be leading right into major Harry/Maeve, Harry/Trista, or Harry/Mab smut scenes all having to deal with violent painful sex. While this is definitely not a bad thing, I don't think smutfic is where you are trying to go with this story. Thing is, the main plot line as of now is Harry/Maeve babies and the act of making them seems to be what this next spree of chapters is going to be about.

Of course, I'm probably completely wrong and my worries are unfounded, but it just doesn't seem like Harry Dresden with him more worried about getting laid then using magic to bust up some baddies. When he became the knight, I was expecting big battles with lots of uber cool magic, but I haven't got that yet. What is the genre of this story, anyways? Romance, action/adventure?

13. Jon

-points and laughs at Kolskit.-

14. Snarf

High Score:
    Your funny, but where you might now the rest of the story line, I don't and I'm giving an honest opinion of how it's looking from an outside perspective. Forgive me for not just saying, OOO UBER AWSME VASH GOOD WRK!

15. Jon

The last three posted chapters are a series of omakes written by myself and nuhuh, dweeb. It says that at the top of the pages.

16. Snarf

High Score:
    I honestly didn't see a diffence in style of writing, though that did confuse me a bit when the names were up there. Thought he was just pointing out who made up the title as you all have been helping him with the story, or whatnot. *shrugs* Liked your omakes then, just not as an actual part of the story. Maybe you all could move them out so I don't have omake posts between actuall story posts.

17. Jon

Nah, Me and Nuhuh are just that awesome. Writing more for his story then he has and all. :D

18. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

Personally I thought this was pretty badass, and hopefully though your chapters are long, we won't have to wait months for an update. The writing was very Butcheresque. The delivery was slow, with emphasis on characterization and environment, and then building to a strong idea. I too, when reading Summer Knight questioned what would happen had Harry accepted.

Now that Lasciel is gone I think there is a void in Harry's strength which I theorize will be filled with him temporarily accepting the title of Winter Knight. Remember the next book is called Small Favors. A good favor would be to take the role, no

Your notions of the Sidhe and how without the Knight they go crazy if the power isn't diverted was very interesting. Was that from the books or your actual imagination? If it was from your imagination, kudos, because that sounds completely realistic and plausible in the Dresden Universe. It is also a good explanation to the current goings on in the Winter Court following the end of White Knight.

Some things that nagged at me but not a big deal was the display of emotion among Sidhe. I always took Sidhe as private beings (with the exception of the younger untrained ones), who would see strong displays of emotion as a sign of weakness. Perhaps Sidhe lower in court rank might display them, but I would not take the Summer Queen as one who "wear her emotions on her sleeve". I can sympathize that her daughter was killed, but I would think A Sidhe such as her would be more discreet and conniving in her conversation with Harry. Rather then promise future pain I would think she would do it in a more subtle way. My two cents though.

It does seem within the character of the Sidhe to announce what they value most. Dead or not.

Anyway good start to hopefully the first of many good Dresden Files Fan Fiction.

19. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

When I first saw it, I thought it was something pulled from FF8 myself.

20. Antivash

Surprisingly, No, it wasn't. While I do enjoy FFVIII, it had no part in inspiring that. All of what inspired my ideas for Mab, Maeve in the future, Maeve's unseen presence in this chapter, Mother Winter, and Titania were straight out of the books.

Mab and Maeve, more specifically, were bulled from Proven Guilty.

Personally I thought this was pretty badass, and hopefully though your chapters are long, we won't have to wait months for an update.[/quote]

Nah... shouldn't be months. Ive already got about 2K words of the next chapter done, which is just over a third of the one I posted.

Butcher-esque? I am honored you think so, but somehow I doubt it. Ive always been more comfortable with slower, character driven pieces than action and fights and what not. So this, with an exception that Jon and Nuhuh know about, was pretty easy for me to churn out.

While what I have of the next chapter needs some work one to it, it should be pretty easy to clean up. Nuhuh like the idea of what I was gonna do to Slate.

I almost feel sorry for him.

indeeeed. A highly interesting idea. Though, personally, I think it has something to do with Titania, rather than Mab, or Winter. Dresden would have strangled Maeve, I think, and probably wanted to pimp slap Lily after their last encounter.

It was my idea, taken from the book. I made a lot of assumptions and came up with a conclusion. The original idea sucked, and after much polishing and reconstruction, thar you has it.

Ah.. an interesting point. An assumption has to be made here, with so soon after Aurora's death, and my own as of yet veiled plans, that Mab is placing a bit of strain on Titania and she isnt quite her self.

I do have plans to display her in a more prominent role than the books have as of yet portrayed her in. A bit more Lily as well.

As for Mab and any displays of Affection she me place upon Harry, ... well... that is purposeful. She's seen something in it that can be advantageous to her, so she plays it for a while. How far it goes, has yet to be seen.

You are completely wrong. I have on intention of adding Harry/Mab, Maeve, or Trista smut, despite pleas of the plebs on IRC for such an occurrence.

There will be no smut for this, more than likely. Or any epicly huge battles with long forgotten majix that will make the white council goes ZOMG! HAX!

Dresden in the books is more for a strike from the shadows kinda thing. Hit them in their blindside while they fawk their wives and such kinda guy. Or so I see it, anyway.

But save for a few encounters, huge battles with gallons of ubermajix are a no.

As for a genre? The genre is Vash. I find it difficult to place such trivial labels upon my work. There will be action, romance, drama, some angst, maybe a bit of horror should I decide to, but mostly, its just what flows well with the story.

Yes, there are some spoilers for Summer Knight. None for spoilers AFTER Summer Knight as of yet. But then, it'll take quite some time to get ot that point, and Small Favor should be out by then.