1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Go Set a Watchman

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by silentclock, Jul 10, 2015.

1. silentclock

silentclock Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

2. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I adore TKAM, but I can't make up my mind about whether to read GSAW. If it isn't as good as TKAM, even slightly, I'd be really disappointed, and I don't want to tarnish my feelings toward TKAM. The chapter in the link was promising though.

3. silentclock

All of a sudden, I am feeling very distressed.

That's a New York Times review of Watchman. I'm no longer certain whether I can bear to read it.

4. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Holy shit.

5. silentclock

Yep. Pretty much that.

6. Lyndon Eye

Lyndon Eye Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I thought the excerpt was great, but then UGH MAJOR SPOILER from that book review.

In some ways, it makes intuitive sense. As kids grow up, we realize that parents aren't the flawless heroes we think they are.

7. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

But what the review talked about seems like a major reversal of Atticus' character, not just finding flaws in him. It goes against pretty much everything I took from Mockingbird in terms of who Atticus Finch is as a person, and what his morals and beliefs are.

8. silentclock

The problem, I think, is that Watchman was written before Mockingbird, and it hasn't been edited to reflect the character changes and events of Mockingbird.

9. Shinysavage

High Score:
    It probably helps if you think about it as a Dark!Atticus AU fanfic rather than a sequel/companion piece.

10. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

I remember my - freshman? - high school class when we read To Kill a Mockingbird, and how everyone was attached to Atticus, and thought he was the bomb... but I never really fell in love with the character.

And don't get me wrong, he's cool and all... but I don't think I'll be that bothered seeing a darker side to him. I'm not that attached. When we saw him, Scout was just a kid. As such, we only really saw the side that he would allow his child to see. And even then, her understanding of situations would be limited by the fact that she was, in fact, a child.

If anything, a darker rendition of Atticus will probably get me to appreciate him more.

The story not being edited to reflect TKAM doesn't bother me one bit. Taking into consideration the context surrounding its release, I expect it to not be as good or polishes as TKAM - Lee wrote it before TKAM, so obviously that will probably be the case. That said, I'm just going to take it as another piece of writing from one of my favorite authors, and leave it at that. Even if I don't like it, I doubt it's going to poison my view of TKAM.

11. silentclock

Well, it was released today. I bought the hardback but haven't started reading it yet. I'll post my thoughts on it when I finish.

12. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

Got my copy also. Probably not going to read through it overnight, though.

First peeve: some of the passages (e.g., the description of Maycomb's origins) was identical to that in Mockingbird.

13. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

Which kind of gels with the idea that this was the manuscript for the book that her original editor told her to move away from.

14. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

The Onion just had a go at this.
    Harper Lee Announces Third Novel, ‘My Excellent Caretaker Deserves My Entire Fortune’

Personally I don't have much desire to read it at the moment, though that might change depending upon what reviews say. I enjoyed "To Kill A Mockingbird" on various levels, but mostly because it was one of those rare books featuring a child protagonist that wasn't really aimed at children (even if children can enjoy it in the same way that adults can enjoy books that are aimed at kids). I love books like that in general, and they're rare (it's also the form of writing I'd really like to do myself).

So it had that going for it with me. But it also said a lot about race, and fairness, and touched on some issues that held relevance for me as a Mississippian. So in addition to telling a coming-of-age story for Scout, it also dealt with a certain loss of innocence (realization that the right thing doesn't always prevail, even when you fight for it) and delved into the serious issues surrounding race relations.

It was a solid book for me on several levels.

But the sequel, doesn't have most of things above going for it. I don't find adult!Scout to be interesting based on the simple premise that she's Scout twenty years later, because I liked Scout in large part due to her age, innocence, and view of the events around her. Likewise the main issue we seem to be dealing with is Scout's realization that the people she cares about hold views she doesn't agree with and finds offensive.

And I admit, that sounds interesting. You grow up in a place, you feel attached to a place, to the people, to your family and friends, etc. Then you develop your own views of things like, perhaps, "racism is bad" and you come home to realize that people who are nice otherwise are quite the opposite when that particular issue arises.

It reminds me of that Quantum Leap episode honestly, where Sam leaps into a KKK member or something. He notes that they seem like really nice people who'd go out of their way to help a neighbor... until race comes up, and then they're basically evil. And it's not them hiding their evilness so much as they actually do see black people as lesser and not worthy of human rights. Which is worse in many ways, because it's insidious and harder to fight against.

It sounds like it could be interesting, but only if it's done well. And this being a first draft, well... well, actually, maybe an unedited first draft from the 50s or so would provide some franker insight into the times than most writing does.

That was a hell of a ramble. TL;DR? I have mixed thoughts.

15. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

I have absolutely no desire to read this.

I read TKAM in high school, like most of us, and I get it - it's well written, one of those tales that turns the town itself into a character (a technique I think only Stephen King does better) and it wasn't too heavy-handed with its messages, though it was obvious.

Thing is, I didn't get attached to it. I never read it again after I didn't have to. It didn't help that two of the girls in my class started calling each other Jem and Scout after, and thereby horribly twisted my interpretations. But the bottom line is, the book didn't speak to me.

The major part of the problem, I think, is that I simply didn't enjoy reading it. I considered it a chore taking me away from the books I wanted to read, which were about as far away as you could get - I was a sci-fi nut on high school, still sort of am, and I'd happily get lost in some Asimov or Clarke at the drop of a hat.

I take it as a classic, in the same way that Faulkner and Hemmingway wrote classics, but I don't enjoy reading Faulkner or Hemmingway, either.

I don't know, maybe it's the southern gothic genre in general that I don't enjoy. Maybe I just couldn't relate to the characters. Maybe I kept thinking it would be better if Scout got in a spaceship and just left that little shithole of a home town she was stuck in. Maybe it was that I didn't think Atticus was a realistic character - try calling your parents by their first names, see what a reaction you get.

Or, maybe I simply wasn't mature enough to 'get it.'

As for the new book... I honestly don't remember Jem at all, aside from the standard 'big brother gives me a hard time but still loves me' trope. I remember Boo, I remember Scout, and I remember Atticus, but I don't remember missing them when they were gone.

From what I understand, GSAW is rough, in need of an edit, and more or less nothing like TKAM. In other words, not a classic. In which case, I just don't see the point.