1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Grave Days By Northumbrian

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Sran, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Sran

Sran Disappeared

High Score:
    Title: Grave Days
    Author: Northumbrian
    Rating: K+
    Genre: Romance / Adventure
    Library Category: ?
    Pairings: H/G & R/H
    Summary: The Battle of Hogwarts is over. The following day Harry wakes to a changed world, to a future he did not think he would have. This is a story about those first days after the battle. Days of mourning and funerals. Grave Days.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5486257/1/Grave-Days

I haven't read this, just fixing the (now banned) guys post. ~Ched

Original Post:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2016
  2. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I will refer you to this sticky about how to post stories for review. I would also suggest reading stickies in any section before posting stuff as they tell you the rules of the forum (such as necroposting, format for Review, etc.)

3. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I'm to chapter 5, and I have to say that replacing the dementors with pissed off Goblins post-Deathly Hallows is fucking awesome.

4. Theostry

Theostry Muggle

High Score:
    This is a decent fic, but not awesome. The characters are well developed and there's a lot of great detail, as the original poster said; but something about the tone just doesn't sit right with me. For starters, Harry's happily doing politics with Kingsley the day he wakes up after the final battle. Not only does this seem rushed in terms of plot progression, but also unrealistic given what they've all just been through. Sure, he (and others) are brought to tears at times, but nothing of the weight they must be feeling in the aftermath is conveyed in the writing - I'm comparing it to, say, "The Goblin, the Snitch and the Werewolf" by Iniga. The story's titled "Grave Days", and while a lot of the plot does revolve around cemeteries I was hoping for a little more gravitas.

People who don't like canon pairings or the 'one big happy Weasley family' should avoid; H/G and R/Hr are adopted unproblematically along with the tired trope of every male Weasley disapproving (though it's not TOO overdone).

That said, I read the whole thing. The grammar and spelling are very good, and I enjoyed seeing Harry dealing with the funerals. Especially Colin's - Harry didn't know or even particularly like him, but he was devoted to Harry, so the awkward complex feelings there are interesting.

Worth a read, but not spectacular. 3/5

5. Myrrdin Emrys

Myrrdin Emrys Disappeared

High Score:
    There is something odd about reading a story in which the author makes up for average-length chapters by repeating an idea again and again in different sentences.

Makes the story's descriptive lines seem redundant and thus derails from the immersion the reader feels when, well, reading a story.

A jarring sentence that if connected with the other would have made it a much better read in my opinion. Of-course, it is not alone in it's kind, a few examples below:

Another thing that made these sentences seem out of place, excluding the fact that they're abruptly ending, is that they're all telling sentences, and not the showing sentences, which are normally (read: almost always) used for stories such as these.

TL;DR: The writing style was boring, and the content doubly so, with redundant thought processes and abrupt sentences And as such, I have no hesitation from rating the story a 1.5/5, rounded to 2 for simplicities sake. Of course, I could be wrong as I was unable to continue past the 2nd Chapter, the content and the style leaving me unable to continue reading on without a fair deal of frustration at the story.